Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

10m altitude limit

If you are on IOS there’s an app you can download that does this super easy
It’s called
Altitude Limit for TELLO by IEIRISOFTWARE LAB.

Screenshot_20180504-073822.jpg
Well it definitely works. However I would urge caution when increasing the height limit. I had a fly away yesterday when my Tello lost connectivity to my phone (new firmware). Luckily it was only at about 1m altitude but it still drifted across half a football pitch before ditching itself into a bank of grass. This was partly due to it being breezy and the fact the Tello does not attempt to land for 1 minute after it looses connection to the app. I would have lost it even if it had been at 10m.

A word of warning. My Tello took off during the script process. I was not expecting this so I had not placed my drone in a suitable position and it crashed. I do not know if this is by design but I have asked Soumy via YouTube.

downloaded the files.
had to make some tweaks to the script as i'd installed python3.x rather than python2.x, (adding brackets to prints, removing ", e" from the end of exceptions) - never understood it when a new release of a language completely changes the formatting without retaining backwards compatibility.

going to give it a try in about an hour - will report back

Can confirm this works nicely. At 30m up its not easy to track visually, but it didnt drift too much even in the wind.

Appears to kill the battery life though.
1525431036566.jpgScreenshot_20180504-114736_TELLO.jpg

(This is also using a xaomi extender, I'd be cautious of going out of range otherwise)

Reactions: bharatha1984
I've only gone to about 20m, but I think that wind will be more of an issue than visual tracking with the drone. I didn't push it any further since I was starting to drift and I was flying from my house, (lots of wifi interference, etc.). Will have to test from a wider open space next.

Attachments

• 20180503183724.jpg
    20180503183724.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_4411.png
    IMG_4411.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 55
I repackaged the PingguSoft's python program to an PC executable program, so you can run it directly without installation of python compiler and library any more.
Hi Billy, novice at the hacking thing. How do I interface with the drone to put this program to work
Wi-Fi network or usb cable?

I repackaged the PingguSoft's python program to an PC executable program, so you can run it directly without installation of python compiler and library any more.
Nevermind. Was quite simple. I just turned the drone on. Used my pc Wi-Fi setting to drone and clicked exe. I am assuming it worked I could run my drone with the space bar.

A word of warning. My Tello took off during the script process. I was not expecting this so I had not placed my drone in a suitable position and it crashed. I do not know if this is by design but I have asked Soumy via YouTube.

It seems i have fat fingers and pressed the space bar whilst the drone was connected to my computer. This told the drone to take off. Thanks for the feedback Soumy.

Screenshot_20180505-074423.jpg
It is really still this morning so I thought I would be brave (or daft depending on your point of view) and push beyond 30m. I set the hack to 50m and it appeared to run OK but I was not able to exceed 30m. Has anyone else tried this?

View attachment 324
It is really still this morning so I thought I would be brave (or daft depending on your point of view) and push beyond 30m. I set the hack to 50m and it appeared to run OK but I was not able to exceed 30m. Has anyone else tried this?

I have set the limit to 200m after upgrading FW to latest version. I am using the original python scripts @bluejune wrote.

It seems that the limit is 200m according to what I see when running the scripts. Haven’t had the chance to try beyond 30m. Will do and get back.

Reactions: EvoHF
Here's 30 meters -- about 100 feet -- slight breeze, Tello solid as a rock, and capable of flying at least 100m horizontally with good video reception. No hit on battery life that I could see. The Xaoimi repeater makes a huge difference. (A tip: wear a shirt with a breast pocket, and put the repeater + a credit-card sized battery in it: that way the repeater will almost always be facing the Tello.)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karlyan