Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Battery Reconditioning

Sypress

Reaction score
Is it possible to leave a dead battery on a multi-battery charger and it will recondition? Should I just assume they are completely dead since the light on the charger is solid red and doesn’t blink while it’s charging. Might just have to buy new batteries.

Hello. In my experience it is not possible to "recondition" a dead Tello battery. I have purchased several spare batteries to keep my Tello in the air. Still having fun with it since I bought mine back in May 2018.

Hi, there. What i did was cut open the tello battery allong the glued line. I then charged on the batterycell contacts directly after the chargingboard with an old 4.7v/500mah cellphone charger from which i bared the cables and soldered them on lightly. Works like a charm, be carefull when cutting open the batterycase so you don't cut through the cell. Regards

1. Why it stops working

From the pictures on O-Gs wiki and from my experience, it looks like the board has a voltage comparator circuit with output which allows to cut off the cells from terminals. So no intelligence, just a simple cutoff if cell voltage drops below 3V.

2. Will it starts if connected to charger for days

No. For a very specific voltage it is possible to to have the cells half-cut off I guess, but there's a very small chance you will encounter this situation in practice. It won't get back to life without connecting directly to cells.

3. Should I open it into two halves, breaking the welded plastic

Only if you want to replace cells. If you only want to try resuscitate existing ones, it is better to remove the sticker and find the cell terminals there. You could enlarge the opening below with a modelling knife or soldering iron, if cell terminals are not visible.

4. Why not open into two halves?

You will have to then glue it again, tight enough to make it fit the drone. If you tape it around instead, the tape will eventually break due to sliding in and out of the drone. I mean, you will probably have to tape it anyway, to allow proper glueing.

And if you just go below the sticker instead, your opening stays and you can fix it again later.

5. Should I replace cells

The overdischarged cells will no longer work as good as new ones. How bad it will be depends on how deep the discharge and how long they were discharged. If the cells were at 0.5V or lower, the recharged battery will not allow more that a minute of flight, before either landing or falling down with "Power error" showing in the app.

Also, sometimes cells recharged from such a low voltage start excreting more hydrogen when under high load.

So it might be interesting to recharge in order to see first hand how the li-poly cells work, but it is likely you will have to replace the cells to comfortably use Tello with the battery.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv