Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Can we change factory configurations?

Lucasthe

Reaction score
First, i want to apollogise for any mistakes, my english isn't that good.

Soo, i had a Tello for almost a month, and in my research i saw that with some apps you can change the factory configuration about how high you can go with it, but i aways wondered if is there any app out there that change other stuff on the drone and here is why:

On the other day i put the drone at 12m to take a picture of my house, and came a wind that the drone wasnt able to stabilize itself properlly (i say properlly because they sometimes get carried some meters before stabilize itself, but in this case he didin't have that space because there was some near trees ), soo i tryed to stear it myself to avoid geting him stuck in a high tree. Long story short, high speed winds+me steering ended up puting the drone in the way of the trees until i lost sight with it, last thing i saw was that he "crashed" at the top of one of the trees, i tryed to move it or something to at least be on sight, but it began the emergency shutdown, and now i have my drone lost for 2 weeks, and despite take 30 minutes every day to look up at the place it vanish, i still didnt found it =(

About the topic: I do understand that the emergency shutdown intends to avoid you destruct the drone when is stuck somewhere, but somehow this is plain stupid, because i cant get the drone if i dont know where it is, and bacause is only able to turn on again manually, now i may have lost him for good...soo here is the idea if someone here is able do do it. Make a app for tello that shuts off the emergency shutdown =x

Reactions: r0ckf1re
Hello!

First, you don't need any 3rd party app to modify the altitude limit anymore. Ryze upped the limit to 30 meters in the official app.

About the drone fighting the wind, I've had similar experiences but I haven't lost it (yet!). What I do when there's some wind or even a small breeze is I put it in fast mode. This way the Tello can tilt up to 25° and has a much higher chance of fighting the wind.

The official app has no "Emergency shutdown" but the Tello does support that command.

Someone shared here a new app that is really well made (I'm not a fan of the design or the fact that the video feed is squished from a square to 16:9 to fit the screen, but the app is highly functional). This app has many interesting things like return to home (works some times but it works) and highly configurable controls. It also has two interesting things that would help you: Emergency shutdown and switching from slow to fast mode (here they're called video and sport mode) right there on the screen, no need to go to settings.

The app is only available for Android as far as I know. This is a free demo with some limitations: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.volatello.tellofpv.demo The full app costs I believe around $5 USD.

Hello!

First, you don't need any 3rd party app to modify the altitude limit anymore. Ryze upped the limit to 30 meters in the official app.

About the drone fighting the wind, I've had similar experiences but I haven't lost it (yet!). What I do when there's some wind or even a small breeze is I put it in fast mode. This way the Tello can tilt up to 25° and has a much higher chance of fighting the wind.

The official app has no "Emergency shutdown" but the Tello does support that command.

Someone shared here a new app that is really well made (I'm not a fan of the design or the fact that the video feed is squished from a square to 16:9 to fit the screen, but the app is highly functional). This app has many interesting things like return to home (works some times but it works) and highly configurable controls. It also has two interesting things that would help you: Emergency shutdown and switching from slow to fast mode (here they're called video and sport mode) right there on the screen, no need to go to settings.

The app is only available for Android as far as I know. This is a free demo with some limitations: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.volatello.tellofpv.demo The full app costs I believe around $5 USD.

if i find mine, i will definitly look this.
When i say emergency shutdown i mean the fact that when it gets tilted for one side and it cant go back to normal by itself, it turns off the whole drone and connection, i dont know the proper name for this

Reactions: nahuel
Ohh I thought you said you wanted to be able to shutdown the motors in case of emergency.

Yes that behavior is actually quite standard in many (if not all) good drones. It automatically shutdown the motors if the drone gets tilted

Hello!

One correction: the app does not have an emergency shutdown.There is PANIC button that temporarily cancels all controller stick input, all flight modes / autopilots, and switches on sport mode and sets the max attitude to 25°. This makes Tello stop & hover in place as quickly as it can, and allows it to fight wind to maximum potential.
The intention for this button is to use it in case you drift into something when in slow video mode, and of course in FPV teacher / student mode.

Oh, and stretching the video feed was a design decision that was obviously wrong, so this will be changed in the next few days. I never thought about the screen aspect ratios of newer phones

Design... well... beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder.

Reactions: AnGo and nahuel
Oh thanks for the corrections! I highly enjoyed the app and I'm super impressed with its features. Hope it does well! I'm buying it after I'm done testing the demo. So far, excellent job.

Reactions: volate!lo
if i find mine, i will definitly look this.
When i say emergency shutdown i mean the fact that when it gets tilted for one side and it cant go back to normal by itself, it turns off the whole drone and connection, i dont know the proper name for this
That is not the case with Tello:
Tello stops the motors when tilted, but stays on and transmits until it runs out of juice (or overheats & shuts down). If you lost connection immediately then most likely Tello lost the battery on impact.

This app has many interesting things like return to home (works some times but it works) and highly configurable controls.

RTH should always work within the limitations of VPS precision, which is basically a function of how clearly Tello can identify it's position using the downfacing camera. Precision is reduced during longer flights, in high altitudes, strong winds, high speeds, low light, reflecting / changing surfaces like water.
If I do a normal flight (12 minutes, some fast some slow flying in distances up to 100m) Tello returns within 5-10m.

One bug still exists: After a disconnect (or after exiting / pausing / restarting the app) RTH does currently not work. Thats on the todo list.

That is not the case with Tello:
Tello stops the motors when tilted, but stays on and transmits until it runs out of juice (or overheats & shuts down). If you lost connection immediately then most likely Tello lost the battery on impact.
are you sure? soo thats weird, because mine only transmited for like 1 or 2 seconds before shuts off =x, the battery was fully charged and dindnt sent me any warn of overhet

are you sure? soo thats weird, because mine only transmited for like 1 or 2 seconds before shuts off =x, the battery was fully charged and dindnt sent me any warn of overhet
I have crashed my Tellos a lot during early stages of development, so I am pretty sure. But of course you never know, maybe they changed something in the firmware recently.
Or maybe it took your Tello a second or two to reach its final position on a limb where it released the battery.

Reading the above, am I to assume my Tello, which I had to retrieve from my roof yesterday, would have taken off had I switched to "fast" mode?

Whilst flying outside, I misjudged the roof height and crash-landed the Tello right-side-up, on the roof. I could see from the vantage point of the display that it was sitting upright, but it would not take off, which I'm attributing to the angle of the roof (Older, 2-story house with a rather steep roof line. Was sketchy af, going up there to retrieve it.).

I might try putting it on a piece of plywood or cardboard, at ground level, and launching it from increasingly steeper angles to see what the limit is. Has anyone tried this? How far can it be tilted and still take off in fast mode/slow mode?

First, i want to apollogise for any mistakes, my english isn't that good.

Soo, i had a Tello for almost a month, and in my research i saw that with some apps you can change the factory configuration about how high you can go with it, but i aways wondered if is there any app out there that change other stuff on the drone and here is why:

On the other day i put the drone at 12m to take a picture of my house, and came a wind that the drone wasnt able to stabilize itself properlly (i say properlly because they sometimes get carried some meters before stabilize itself, but in this case he didin't have that space because there was some near trees ), soo i tryed to stear it myself to avoid geting him stuck in a high tree. Long story short, high speed winds+me steering ended up puting the drone in the way of the trees until i lost sight with it, last thing i saw was that he "crashed" at the top of one of the trees, i tryed to move it or something to at least be on sight, but it began the emergency shutdown, and now i have my drone lost for 2 weeks, and despite take 30 minutes every day to look up at the place it vanish, i still didnt found it =(

About the topic: I do understand that the emergency shutdown intends to avoid you destruct the drone when is stuck somewhere, but somehow this is plain stupid, because i cant get the drone if i dont know where it is, and bacause is only able to turn on again manually, now i may have lost him for good...soo here is the idea if someone here is able do do it. Make a app for tello that shuts off the emergency shutdown =x

I recently got my tello stuck in a tree, about 40' up.....I was lucky as the wind blew it out in the night....I do agree, it is ridiculous that we can't manually fire the motors...I understand that doing so might cause more damage, but it also might help recover the drone....and I think as the owner I should have that choice.....hope you find your tello.

Update to this case...after MONTHS taking heavy rain with the battery still plugged, it finally fall of the tree and was found. it have even some maggots inside of god knows what. but wait, because after i cleaned up, it still worked!!! just had to replace the propellers. You never find any test drive of how durable this done is, better than this experience i've had. lol

But now it has some issue with the antena, don't know, maybe the componnent is damaged somehow, i wonder if it is sold separately.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv