Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Dji Ryse Tello 2

Jet

Reaction score
brushless changes everything. more punch and longevity. but also larger, heavier, less efficient, shorter flight times, more expensive batteries. way more expensive. Overall the "toy tag" would be gone and Tello 2 would be a non-seller.
Just using the Wingsland S6 as an example....

Re: "Brushless motors....Way more expensive." - Not sure I agree. the Wingsland S6 Pocket Selfie Drone has:

- Brushless motors,
- GPS
- 4K camera

And it's selling for $99. So I think it can be done.

Here is another small quadcopter with brushless motors AND it includes a controller all for $109.
Granted it doesn't have a camera and it might have the same stability as a Tello but if you added a controller to the Tello you're looking at a $130 product at minimum.

So my point is that Brushless motors are becoming the standard for drones priced in the $100 - $150 price range. And as more drones switch to brushless motors the price of the motors will drop (more volume).

You make the assertion that Brushless Motors require more power. Do you have any evidence to support that assertion? I'm not an expert on motors but I've always understood that brushless motors are significantly more efficient (i.e., require less power to create same thrust).

I think the current Tello priced at $99 may have been ok in 2018...but the market has changed so significantly in the last year (believe me I've looked at almost every drone that's been released in the last 9-12 months). Either Ryze is going to have to lower the price of the Tello significantly (maybe $70 at best) or upgrade it's capabilities significantly or it will be a non-seller because it won't be competitive.

I for one would pay a bit more to get brushless motors, a SD card and a 1080p camera with EIS. That to me would be a reasonable Tello2 upgrade.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Jet

Reaction score
Yes !
All of its "great properties" is not really great if it can not FLY :)
It may be dead but that's more about poor execution then the drones capability and price point.

volate!lo

Reaction score
Of course it can be done! brushless, gps, 4k on a budget is possible. Just don't expect anything of these to work well. If you hack cheap components together to meet a low price point then you get what you pay. There are plenty of examples, but none achieves the quality required to succeed in the market.
Like S6 which has all boxes checked but is pretty much a fail in all categories.

Tello is one of the best brushed toy sized drones. It sells well at the introductory price after 1.5 years as there is still no competition. The market actually has not changed at all IMO.
Of course I would be happy to see such upgrades while keeping Tello's flight time and price point. Very happy - but its very unlikely

If you applied Tello's quality proposition to a brushless-EIS-4K-GPS Tello 2 then both the price and feature set would be like the Spark. High quality does cost money - even in china.

Besides: DJI would not allow Ryze to build a brushless-EIS-4K-GPS Tello 2 using their technology as it would kill the Spark. So Ryze would have to build a best in class flightcontroller and VPS (and maybe also EIS?) from scratch. Very very unlikely to work out well.

Regarding efficiency: As far as I remember electrical efficiency is 5-10% better for brushless motors, but once you take into account the specifics for drone applications (added weight also for the ESCs) they end up with shorter flight times. Maybe that is not correct, but seems to line up with my experience.

I can't fully understand why everyone is asking for brushless. What is the probem with brushed? How many Tello motors do really wear out without crashing? If a motor burns out after a few crashes thats to be expected and won't be much different for a brushless with a bent cage (just the price tag would be different).
Or is it all about lack of punch?

Jet

Reaction score
Of course it can be done! brushless, gps, 4k on a budget is possible. Just don't expect anything of these to work well. If you hack cheap components together to meet a low price point then you get what you pay. There are plenty of examples, but none achieves the quality required to succeed in the market.
Like S6 which has all boxes checked but is pretty much a fail in all categories.

Tello is one of the best brushed toy sized drones. It sells well at the introductory price after 1.5 years as there is still no competition. The market actually has not changed at all IMO.
Of course I would be happy to see such upgrades while keeping Tello's flight time and price point. Very happy - but its very unlikely

If you applied Tello's quality proposition to a brushless-EIS-4K-GPS Tello 2 then both the price and feature set would be like the Spark. High quality does cost money - even in china.

Besides: DJI would not allow Ryze to build a brushless-EIS-4K-GPS Tello 2 using their technology as it would kill the Spark. So Ryze would have to build a best in class flightcontroller and VPS (and maybe also EIS?) from scratch. Very very unlikely to work out well.

Regarding efficiency: As far as I remember electrical efficiency is 5-10% better for brushless motors, but once you take into account the specifics for drone applications (added weight also for the ESCs) they end up with shorter flight times. Maybe that is not correct, but seems to line up with my experience.

I can't fully understand why everyone is asking for brushless. What is the probem with brushed? How many Tello motors do really wear out without crashing? If a motor burns out after a few crashes thats to be expected and won't be much different for a brushless with a bent cage (just the price tag would be different).
Or is it all about lack of punch?
Is it about cheap parts or just poor integration and poor overall execution??? I'd say the S6 was probably more about poor execution than anything else. That's usually where things go awry 90% of the time.

We'll have to agree to disagree on whether the market has changed in the last 1.5 years. I'm seeing a LOT more drones with a LOT of functionality for LESS than $200 (e.g., Brushless motors, GPS, 1080p cameras (even rc tilt controlled), Autonomous flight modes, etc., etc.). That wasn't the case 1.5 years ago...and that to me is a significant shift from my perspective.

I agree that the Tello is probably one of the better small Toy drones (particularly if you want to fly indoors) but if you compare it with a slightly larger drones it just doesn't stack up very well in terms of it's capabilities and features. And it's got a lot of limitations (e.g., doesn't fly well if there is anything but the slightest winds, distance limitations, etc).

For me it's kind of hard to justify the $135 you'd pay for a Tello (with controller) in today's market when you can spend $199 and get a drone that has:

- GPS
- 1080p video and photos with 2 axis brushless gimbal with EIS,
- Optical Flow Sensor
- Brushless motors,
- Autonomous flight modes (e.g., RTH, POI, Follow-me, Tap to fly, etc)
- Flight time of 14-15 minutes.

In this case it's the JJRC X9 Heron Quadcopter ($179). And this one can fly in reasonable/normal wind with no problem.

That makes it difficult to justify the current version of the Tello at it's current price point and feature set relative to the competition.

Re: brushless motors:

- You may be right about power consumption vs flight time I'm just not sure. I'd like to see some technical documentation that confirms your understanding

- Re: why brushless motors...when I'm spending $130 today I'm expecting to get a durable motor. The competitive bar is just higher than it was 2 years ago.

UPDATE: FYI. The video in the following article re: Brushed vs Brushless motors states (@8sec) states that given two motors with "x" output the brushless would be lighter than the brushed motor.

BTW, I don't think Brushless motors are the end all and be all of the next gen enhancements but for the price of $135 (w/ controller) I think they should be included.

Cheers

Last edited:

anbalck

Reaction score
Yes, JJRC X9 (C-fly Dream) was in my shortlist for purchase.
But :
1. There is no any support from maker
2. There is no any user's community like this
3. "1080p camera" shoots really like 720p max with bad WB and very slow autoexposition.
4. 260 gramms really.
5. It's gimbal is very flimsy and no chance to find repair parts
I thinked to used it as carrier fo external cam...

Jet

Reaction score
Yes, JJRC X9 (C-fly Dream) was in my shortlist for purchase.
But :
1. There is no any support from maker
2. There is no any user's community like this
3. "1080p camera" shoots really like 720p max with bad WB and very slow autoexposition.
4. 260 gramms really.
5. It's gimbal is very flimsy and no chance to find repair parts
I thinked to used it as carrier fo external cam...
So you were considering purchasing the C-fly but you didn't actually purchase it?...And I assume you didn't fly it either?

Well I've seen some videos taken from the JJRC X9 and while it's not perfect it's not bad (see the attached video from a JJRC X9 User). In the video he does a lot of yawing and so that makes it look a little jerky but if you view it @1080p it's still not bad IMO.

Here's just one example:

My bet is that you wouldn't even be able fly the Tello on the day this video was done because it looked a bit windy much less get this video. And I'm betting you wouldn't be able to fly these distances/heights either with the Tello.

Personally I think the JJRC X9 Heron (and similar drones) is in a league above the Tello and yet it's only $70 more. Hmm...something just doesn't compute to me. Yes the Tello does what it does very well but it is so limited in terms of it's capabilities.

If all you want is a toy drone that you can fly indoors or in little to no wind situations at very limited distances then the Tello may fit your bill. I just don't think the value is there with the Tello today compared to many of today's drones that can do so so much more.

IMO, the Tello either needs to step up it's game or reduce it's price by 30% for it to remain viable given it's current limited capabilities vs other drones. For me the value to price ratio of the Tello just isn't there when you look at what other drones can do that only cost slightly more than the Tello.

That's just my opinion.

Happy flying,

Cheers

anbalck

Reaction score
Yes, I've seen this video and tons of others.
This one is rhe best i think.
But i don't understand, where is the wind here ? :)
I fly with Tello only for 3 weeks, and never didn't have such a GOOD conditions :)

volate!lo

Reaction score
You are comparing Tello to a drone 3x the size and weight, and twice the price. Thats a different game entirely. That is Spark level (except for features and price). Very different beasts.
Also that video shows perfect weather with no wind at all (the sea doesn't show a ripple)

Its actually quite simple: The market accepts that Tello's value proposition in 2019 is still excellent. Otherwise it would not sell, especially not at MSRP. The same market considers most other drones like the S6, X9, Fairy, Dobby, etc to be fails.
The market preference can be seen by looking at play store download figures for their apps: Tello 500k-1m, Dobby 10k-50k, Fairy 1k-5k, X9 and C-Fly combined 1k-5k.

Market can change anytime (maybe with the Microdrone 4.0) but right now I see a lot of cheapish flying junk in different sizes, but nothing I would consider competition.

BTW:I can't find where I found the efficiency comparison, but I remember it was pretty scientific and included the losses & weight of the ESC required in the equation. That was a report written some years ago and development in both brushless & ESC may have changed this game. Maybe no longer valid.

Koedoe888

Reaction score
I will just want a more stable network connection and SD card functionality. Use it mostly for still pictures where it don't perform bad at all. The tello is not bad in wind as long as you keep it in sports mode. If I really want something better it will then be a spark or the xiaomi fimi a3. Lol it sounds funny but have really surprised me and is also quick to get into the air. But as for the tello I'm happy with it. Some other small drones will be better if the makers use the money they spend on ink and promises on boxes and use it more on R&D 😁

Jet

Reaction score
You are comparing Tello to a drone 3x the size and weight, and twice the price. Thats a different game entirely. That is Spark level (except for features and price). Very different beasts.
Also that video shows perfect weather with no wind at all (the sea doesn't show a ripple)

Its actually quite simple: The market accepts that Tello's value proposition in 2019 is still excellent. Otherwise it would not sell, especially not at MSRP. The same market considers most other drones like the S6, X9, Fairy, Dobby, etc to be fails.
The market preference can be seen by looking at play store download figures for their apps: Tello 500k-1m, Dobby 10k-50k, Fairy 1k-5k, X9 and C-Fly combined 1k-5k.

Market can change anytime (maybe with the Microdrone 4.0) but right now I see a lot of cheapish flying junk in different sizes, but nothing I would consider competition.

BTW:I can't find where I found the efficiency comparison, but I remember it was pretty scientific and included the losses & weight of the ESC required in the equation. That was a report written some years ago and development in both brushless & ESC may have changed this game. Maybe no longer valid.
I guess it all depends on what you are looking for...

If you are looking for a small lightweight ("toy drone" ) that has a stable flight, can take reasonably good photos/videos (but only at 720p) if there is no interference, you don't have a need for anything but nominal distances (e.g., 100 feet or less unless you are in a very rural setting), you're only going to fly in very calm conditions (indoors or 5mph wind or less), you don't mind using your smart phone to fly it (no dedicated controller included with the Tello), you can live with occasional dropped frames and jittery video that you may get in urban/suburban areas (due to wifi interference) and you don't think you're ever going to need more capabilities than what I noted above and your budget is about $160 w/taxes (why $160....your going to need at least 3 batteries and extra props and that's without a dedicated controller...add a controller and now you're easily talking about $200) then I think the Tello is probably a good fit.

And the Tello could be good if you're buying this for your younger kids assuming they have their own smart phone (or you're willing to turn over your smart phone to them to for flying the Tello).

Personally I found it difficult to justify the cost of the Tello TODAY given it's aforementioned limitations and given that I could now spend another $50 and get a MUCH MUCH MUCH more capable drone that could give me considerably more headroom to grow before I'd need to step up to a professional drone.

Keep in mind that Drones like the JJRC X9 Heron have just recently come to market (broad availability) in February 2019. And I'm only using the X9 as an example of the rich feature set with very low price points that you're beginning to see on the market. I think these drones are only going to get better over time and more numerous.

Yes those slightly more expensive drones may fall outside of the "Toy Drone" segment and one could argue, as you did, that I'm comparing apples and oranges but as a consumer I personally don't make my purchase decisions based on some "analyst" defined category. I purchase based on how well the product meets my needs (today and tomorrow), my budget, the products overall value (features vs cost) and of course it's quality. I DO see the Tello and the JJRC X9 Heron (and similar products) as direct competitors primarily because of their price point even though the JJRC X9 Heron falls outside of the "Toy" category.

The key question mark about these new high featured low cost drones is their quality. I think the jury is already back on some of them and still out on others. But if they can get to a reasonable level of quality (if not in the first gen then the second gen) then it's going to be difficult to justify the price/feature set of the Tello.

There is no doubt that the Tello has been successful. But will it continue to successful in it's current incarnation at it's current price point and given the next generation drones that are hitting the streets in 2019? Probably if the buyer is looking purely for a Toy Drone and they are willing to spend $200 to get a "reasonable flying" configuration (see below).

I personally don't find the Tello to be very compelling when I look at the next generation drones that are coming to market in 2019...unless I'm evaluating the Tello only through the lens of the "Toy Drone" category.

If you just take the Tello and the JJRC X9 Heron as an example and compare what it cost to get a "reasonable flying" configuration the price is NOT that different. It's definitely not 2X the price...in fact it's only 20% more expensive.

For me a "reasonable flying" package includes the following:

1 - The Drone
2 - A controller (a phone just doesn't cut for me ... tactile feel is pretty poor...difficult to control)
3 - At least 3 batteries
4 - One set of Extra props
5 - External Battery charger

To get this "reasonable flying" package for the Tello you're going to spend at minimum $200 w/ taxes.

To get this "reasonable flying" package for the JJRC X9 your going to spend $249 (taxes included) on sites like Banggood or Gearbest.

(Note: if you want/need rock solid video quality in urban/suburban areas and slightly better distances for the Tello you have to purchase a WiFi extender ($15) and a Power bank ($10) to power the extender...now that's an additional $25...so now you are up to $225 for the Tello).

Hmmm....$200 (or $225 if you need the wifi extender) for a very good "Toy Drone" vs $249 for a high featured "non-Toy" drone (with GPS, Optical flow, brushless motors, a controller, 1080HD camera with 2-axis brushless motor gimbal and EIS, SD card support and lots of Autonomous mode features (Fail safe RTH, Follow me, Point of Interest, etc.). Granted the X9 is no DJI Spark but it's also less than half the price of the DJI spark with a comparable package (Fly more combo).

It's really hard for me to justify purchasing the Tello unless I specifically need a Toy drone (e.g., I need something for small kids or that can easily be flown indoors, etc.)

If the purchase price to get a "reasonable flying" configuration of the Tello really was TRULY $125 (half the price of the JJRC X9) then I think you could argue that the Tello is a reasonable value assuming you can live with it's limitations or you specifically need a Toy Drone...otherwise not so much from my perspective.

Obviously just my opinion.

Cheers

Last edited:

Jet

Reaction score
I will just want a more stable network connection and SD card functionality. Use it mostly for still pictures where it don't perform bad at all. The tello is not bad in wind as long as you keep it in sports mode. If I really want something better it will then be a spark or the xiaomi fimi a3. Lol it sounds funny but have really surprised me and is also quick to get into the air. But as for the tello I'm happy with it. Some other small drones will be better if the makers use the money they spend on ink and promises on boxes and use it more on R&D 😁
I agree with your suggestions but I think they should upgrade the camera to 1080p as well.

I know you said you use it primarily for pictures but how does the video look to you when your in sports mode (with no EIS)?

Cheers

Koedoe888

Reaction score
I agree with your suggestions but I think they should upgrade the camera to 1080p as well.

I know you said you use it primarily for pictures but how does the video look to you when your in sports mode (with no EIS)?

Cheers
On a winless day the video is fine because the tello keeps its position almost like its on a tripod. After that you need slow and gentle fingers😁 because it becomes more responsive to input. If the conditions are OK I Wil fly in video mode but the second I sniff a breeze I switch to sport mode. Better safe than sorry.

Jet

Reaction score
On a windless day the video is fine because the tello keeps its position almost like its on a tripod. After that you need slow and gentle fingers😁 because it becomes more responsive to input. If the conditions are OK I Wil fly in video mode but the second I sniff a breeze I switch to sport mode. Better safe than sorry.
So are you saying that on windless days when flying in sport mode the video is ok? If so then how does the video look when you have some wind and you're in sport mode? My understanding is that the Electronic Image Stabilization (EIS) is automatically turned off in sport mode. I'm curious how the video looks when you have wind (as you yourself said you kind of have to go with sport mode when there is any wind).

I haven't flow in sport mode yet...As you can see from this thread I'm trying to decide if I want to keep my Tello or return it...When I first purchased the Tello I thought oh it's just a $99 drone..that seems pretty cheap...but once I started adding on what I felt I needed for a "reasonable flight" package (a controller, extra batteries, extra props, a multi-battery charger, wifi extender, controller, etc) I suddenly found I was in for $200 rather $99.

So in hindsight I'm now questioning whether the Tello is worth it given that I could get a non-Toy drone for not much more money and have tons more features (assuming the feature work as advertised). I use YouTube Drone reviews to confirm whether the drone performs as advertised.

Cheers.

Last edited:

volate!lo

Reaction score
EIS is off in sport mode. Without EIS video is shaky with even very little wind. There are apps that can fix it lateron but only so much.

You don't seem happy about your purchase. If you really want something else then just return Tello and get whatever you think fits your needs.

Jet

Reaction score
EIS is off in sport mode. Without EIS video is shaky with even very little wind. There are apps that can fix it lateron but only so much.

You don't seem happy about your purchase. If you really want something else then just return Tello and get whatever you think fits your needs.
Hey thanks for the response. I assumed it would be shaky but just wanted to confirm.
Regarding my Tello purchase, I think the Tello is a great little drone that does what it does extremely well. It's not that I'm unhappy with the Tello I'm just questioning whether it's the right first drone for me. There are a variety of paths that I could take (see bottom later part of this email).

I'm just working this out by writing down my thoughts and concerns in this forum. I'm hoping that by sharing my thoughts "outloud" others who have been down this path before me might share their thoughts on how they would proceed...maybe even sharing lessons learned.

So here is what I'm grappling with:

1) Is the Tello the right starter drone for me given my primary objectives and goals with a starter drone are to:

- Decide whether flying drones is a hobby that I want to pursue more fully;

- Assuming I want to pursue drones as a hobby I want a starter drone that I can use to develop/fine tune my flying skills before I move up to a more capable/versatile drone (that I'll likely use use for getting "cinematic" shots of landscape);

2) Is the Tello a good overall value relative to what you can get in the market today given what you need to spend to get to a "reasonable flying configuration" and given it's flying limitations (wind and distance limitations);

Relative to these objectives...there are both pros and cons to the the Tello:

Pros:
- As a starter drone I love the Tello's stable flight characteristics. It makes learning to fly so easy.
- Convenience: Its small, unobtrusive, fairly quiet and can be flown inside or in the yard;
- It's a relatively cheap ($200) "investment" to test the drone flying waters;
- If I decide not to pursue flying drones as a hobby I've got a great little drone that given the right conditions (little to no wind) can do basic photography/video and it is fun to fly;

Cons:
- By spending just a bit more money, I could seemingly get a much more capable drone (feature and functionality) than what I can get with the Tello and these drones don't seem to have quite the limitations of the Tello (wind and distance).

With these things in mind I see several "strategies" (see below) that I could pursue. All of which that have their pros and cons:

1 - Keep my Tello and just buy the absolute essentials (some extra batteries, a multi-battery charger and the TelloFPV app ;-) ). That would lower my Tello "investment" to ~$140ish.
Pros:
- Regardless of whether I decide to pursue the drone hobby I end up with a great little drone that I can conveniently fly indoors and in my yard or at the park (under the right conditions) and it can do some pretty solid photography;

Cons:
- Flying "limitations" of the Tello (wind & distance). There are very few days in San Diego that you don't get at least 5+ mph winds.
- I could probably spend half the money (~$70) to get a basic learner drone with a controller that could fly in windier conditions and would allow me to hone my flying skills.

2 - Return my Tello and just purchase a cheap ($50-$75), lower end flyer drone, that comes with a Controller and just focus on learning fundamental flying skills and ditch the idea of purchasing a drone that's got usable photo/video capabilities. Then after honing my flying skills purchase a more professional photography drone that does what I ultimately think I need.

Pros:
- Lowers my initial spend;
- I can put any savings towards what I want to purchase longer term (e.g., DJI Spark/Air or Fimi X8/A3);
- Many of these lower end drones are more capable of flying in windier conditions (they are larger/heavier) and so that may mean I can actually fly them more frequently and thus hone my flying more quickly (of course I'd have to be mindful of the flight times)
- Also because they handle windier conditions i could fly them in areas where I ultimately want to fly my "dream" drone (e.g., beach locations).

Cons/Questions:
- Assuming that these lower end drones won't be nearly as stable as the Tello and that might make it much more difficult to "get over" that initial learning hump.
- Hassle/expense of returning the Tello drone and all of the accessories I already purchased

3- Return my Tello and spend just a bit more money and get one of these "more feature rich" and more versatile drones (e.g., JJRC X9 Heron) with reasonably good photographic capabilities:

Pros:
- I'd be getting much more functionality and capabilities for only a nominal more amount of money ($50-$75)
- I could probably fly these drones more frequently because they can be flown in windier conditions (they are bigger/heavier and have brushless motors, GPS RTH capabilities)
- If the photography capabilities are as good as they appear to be (and I'm a bit dubious) then I might find they are just good enough (barely) for my needs and I can avoid or delay purchasing a more professional drone until some future point.

Cons/Questions:
- Hassle/expense of returning the Tello drone and all of the accessories I already purchased
- Risk of purchasing one of these more feature rich drones (i.e., quality, can't easily return them, support if something goes wrong, repairs?, etc).

4 - Skip all of these beginner drones (Tello etc) and just invest in something I know confidently would minimally meet my photography wishlist:
Pros:
- Save the expense of getting a learner drone and just invest that savings immediately in a drone that I KNOW will (minimally) meet my initial photographic needs (e.g., DJI spark...maybe buy a used one)

Cons/Questions:
- I'd be learning on a much more expensive drone so I could be risking that investment while I'm learning.
- Ultimately I could decide after flying for a little while that I just don't enjoy flying drone enough to make it a hobby and so I've spent hundreds of $s on something that I don't want to pursue longer term.

It'd would be interesting to hear what others think who have been down this path before.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Jet

Last edited:

volate!lo

Reaction score
Reading between the lines I'd say the answer is

#1 No, its not the right drone.
You want something else. You don't know exactly what but you already decided that its not Tello. Just get out as long as you can.

#2 The market says yes. But you think you can get more for your money. So folow your gut feeling and find the right drone

Obviously Tello just doesn't feel right for you - so just return Tello and move on. Life is too short .

Koedoe888

Reaction score
I'm currently on Holliday and this morning there was a bit of a commotion between guests because of a drone. A guy bought his son one of those visuo drones and they were on the tennis court learning the ropes in the safety of the nets when one guy almost assaulted them because of the noise. To be honest I could hardly hear them because the court was far from the buildings. Anyways in south Africa its 50m from buildings and not higher than the highest point within 300m and you must have line of sight. Later I wanted a Pic with wife and kids and no one was at hand to take one. I always have the tello in my backpack so I sneaked it out and quickly took a Pic at about 2m height and landed again. I was busy putting it away when that angry guy suddenly greeted me and I almost had a heart attack😁. He took a look at the tello and then asked if I could take a Pic of him and his family so I did. 🤣🤣 So yes. Maybe a bigger drone sound like a better investment but you should take care because the bigger they are the more angry people get. I found a xiaomi fimi a3 used at a second hand dealer and was itching to fly it today but I'm happy I didn't because that guy is much bigger than me and the fimi have a very distinctive noise and is probably louder than the visuo. I will use it away and in the open. As for the tello it is always close by and if you respect its limitations you can use it everywhere.

Reactions: Jet

Jet

Reaction score
Reading between the lines I'd say the answer is

#1 No, its not the right drone.
You want something else. You don't know exactly what but you already decided that its not Tello. Just get out as long as you can.

#2 The market says yes. But you think you can get more for your money. So folow your gut feeling and find the right drone

Obviously Tello just doesn't feel right for you - so just return Tello and move on. Life is too short .
Thanks for your thoughts. You may be right. However, I feel like I need to give the Tello a few more days of flying time before I'm ready to give up on it. I'll try it out in sports mode and see if that changes my opinion at all.

I was flying it the other day outside and there was only the slightest of breezes (barely perceivable to me) and it struggled mightily to make it's way back to me when it was down wind. But I wasn't sure if it was the drone or maybe the virtual sticks weren't fully reading my input. I was going to try sport mode but I was flying near a busy road and I didn't trust myself given my limited flying skills.

As I noted in my last post I consider the Tello to be my training drone and I wonder if the experience using a virtual controller (phone) with the Tello will "translate" well when I move to a more capable drone with an actual physical controller. I'm sure some of it will but I wonder if I'd be better served using a physical controller (either with Tello or with another drone).

I did buy the GameSir T1d controller to use with the Tello but I haven't opened it yet as I'm not sure I'm going to keep the Tello. I did see some YouTube reviews that say that GameSir T1d controller, while it works well, it introduces quite a bit more (very noticeable) lag time in the controls of the Tello when compared to just controlling it with the App's virtual controller. ( So much lag that the VERY experienced pilot in the review video said he crashed the Tello into a tree because of the added lag in controls...granted he was flying i close to trees. He did say that he got used to the lag after flying with it for a while and compensated for the lag). And I guess the added lag makes sense...Controller input's must first go to the phone via bluetooth and then the phone must translate and relay those inputs to the Tello via the Wifi connection.

Does anyone use the GameSir T1d controller? How does the control of the Tello with the Apps virtual controller compare to the control using the GameSir T1d controller? Noticeable lag time?

Do all wifi controlled drones that have controllers and use an app on the phone work this way (use bluetooth) and hence suffer from lag issues? Just trying so see if I'd have this same type of issue with other Drones that use a similar approach or whether it's specific to the Tello and GameSir T1d controller.

Thoughts?

Cheers

Jet

Reaction score
I'm currently on Holliday and this morning there was a bit of a commotion between guests because of a drone. A guy bought his son one of those visuo drones and they were on the tennis court learning the ropes in the safety of the nets when one guy almost assaulted them because of the noise. To be honest I could hardly hear them because the court was far from the buildings. Anyways in south Africa its 50m from buildings and not higher than the highest point within 300m and you must have line of sight. Later I wanted a Pic with wife and kids and no one was at hand to take one. I always have the tello in my backpack so I sneaked it out and quickly took a Pic at about 2m height and landed again. I was busy putting it away when that angry guy suddenly greeted me and I almost had a heart attack😁. He took a look at the tello and then asked if I could take a Pic of him and his family so I did. 🤣🤣 So yes. Maybe a bigger drone sound like a better investment but you should take care because the bigger they are the more angry people get. I found a xiaomi fimi a3 used at a second hand dealer and was itching to fly it today but I'm happy I didn't because that guy is much bigger than me and the fimi have a very distinctive noise and is probably louder than the visuo. I will use it away and in the open. As for the tello it is always close by and if you respect its limitations you can use it everywhere.
Oh my..Thanks for sharing..it's definitely something to take into consideration. Could you imagine if the kid was flying a Mavic Air (sounds like a swarm of angry bees :) ).

The Tello's small size, relative quietness and convenience (can fly in your yard) is one of the things that I really like about it. So it's definitely something to consider.

Cheers

anbalck

Reaction score
Jet,
i'm not sure you need my advice, but... :)
Try something VERY different from Tello.
MJX Bugs 3 Mini. Small, brushless, fast, no-wifi with good controller. Cheap.

Reactions: Jet

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kriswu