Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Dji Ryse Tello 2

SleepyRobo

Reaction score
I will just say one thing so I don't piss off the administrators for this forum, we should stick to Tello discussions. And from here on out I will.

With that said,
Jet it sounds like your already invested in Tello, yes it does add up quickly, and I'd be wrong if I said it won't cost you more later on trying new stuff.

So let's focus back to Tello, let's put your dream rig on hold, I've read, experimented, and discussed many subjects on this site, I'm no expert but I can sum up a few things to help you out with Tello.

First, TelloFPV app is a must.
Second, wifi extender is a must.
Third, absolutely crazy but I've seen a video of the Tello stock lifting a small RC car off the ground and still fully flying, rc car lost tug of war in that video.
Which shows it can lift successfully 30plus grams, I'd say a take off weight of 130 grams is possible, that's 50grams added on.
A Firefly 2 would be great for 1080p and 2k video at only 31 grams, next add a dipole AIO 200mw micro camera and separate 1S 350mah battery. And you could get better video and fly better in some breezy wind on the beach.

SleepyRobo

Reaction score
I'll clarfy the reason for the analog AIO camera setup to add to the Tello, I found this out and my theory came true when I lost video from Tello but still had analog video, my on-screen controls of the Tello still worked, I had no video and or very laggy but my controls were spot on. I flew back from 100yards just on analog video signal at 25mw single wire antenna sketchy setup just fine with a 15mph head wind. Sure my sport mode fly back was slow but the image was steady and actually in a head wind very stable. I was still averaging 2-3ft per second where as downwind sport flight in 15mph winds put me at more than 10ft per second and I still got 10+ minutes of flight.

Koedoe888

Reaction score
I have a tello and xiaomi fimi a3. I got the a3 second hand with a lot of extras at just over the retail value of a tello and repeater🤣. I was saving up for a spark but I'm very happy I got the a3 instead. It take a bit of time to get use to it after flying the tello but for the basics I think after the tello I took to the fimi like a duck to water. The size is much bigger and it have a distinct sound and it got better after the firmware update and the gimball and camera have a nice quality recording. It's a bit awkward when you fly it for the first time because it can go higher and further and faster. It holds altitude and position just like the tello except it have GPS. And I like the controller with its own screen and you can get it flying very quickly. But I cannot carry it everywhere with me because of size and the noise will also attract unwanted attention. I am in the pest control industry and the tello have saved me countless of trips to rooftops and ledges. I changed a motor yesterday on my wife's tello that she got from my boss because he flew into a car the day he bought it and ripped a motor out. If it was brushless motors it would have costed a fortune to fix. On the tello you need patience and a bit of soldering skills. I'm not going to say keep or ditch the tello. From my side I'm happy with it and it is a nice prep drone for something more expensive and better.

Reactions: Jet

anbalck

Reaction score
I made the very simple tests with Tello to check its possible payload.
The coins on the scotch :)
20 gramms - easy and about 11 minutes of hovering.
30 gramms - 9-10 minutes and warm motors.
40 gramms - i stopped on 50% of charge. Motors was quite hot...

volate!lo

Reaction score
OK last comment:

If you know you want at least 1080p then get it now. Spending $200 on Tello is ok if you enjoy it for what it is and does. But not for a trainer if you really want something else. So yes, get out of it.

If you have never flown a drone: get some cheap $10-$15 drone for indoor flights. H8, Syma X11, whatever you can get cheap with 2-3 batteries. If you break it throw it away.

These are harder to master than a Tello, Fimi or Inspire. It gets you in the air quickly, you learn the basics but its not really a trainer for GPS drones because these behave very different. As said large drones are way easier to fly.

Alternatives:
Spark obviously but for me it doesn't cut especially for beginners. Too fragile, short flight times, range issues.

I'm still a fan of the Bebop 2. Cheap and reliable, no fragile gimbal but EIS with 180deg fisheye. It is stable in gale force winds, super sporty, and lives up to advertised flight times and range.
Almost impossible to destroy, with spares & repair tutorials available from the manufacturer. Just make sure you use a lens protectoras the cam is the only expensive thing you can break.
The only thing is: Camera quality isn't like DJI in terms of resolution and low light noise, but far better than X9 and many other "4k" drones. In good light the result is very viewable with 100% reliable EIS even in gale force conditions where drones like Spark would stay home.

Bebop 2 runs around $200 + $10 wifi extender + gamepad controller ($20 flypad is ideal). That is for a refurbished / warehouse deal on a drone which was introduced for over $600 IIRC.

Or $250 for the FPV pack (drone + long range controller + VR glasses). personally I prefer wifi extender as it gets me 3km while skycontroller gives 1.5-2km at best and seems to have a few SW problems. But when I made my choice the controller alone cost as much as the drone (just over 300 each).

The main point:
Bebop has an active community like Tello, with hundred thousands units sold, a truely open API for programming and tons of apps available. See Flight Data Manager: How to add a GPS overlay on your Bebop videos - Parrot Blog for example, or Auriga Bebop for great VR FPV. The Parrot line is very accepted with developers, because they started their drone business with the ARDrone which was more a flying computer than a drone. So you can expect apps, app updates & support for the next few years.
You will never see anything like that for a Fimi or X9 or whatever. These are drones with no community at all and will be forgotten in 2 years.

Also with B2 you have the freedom to fly when and where you want and feel appropriate. No NFZ block telling you that you are not allowed to fly (even in your own house) because some politician is visiting nearby.

Whenever you read something negative about Bebop check its really about Bebop 2. Because the Bebop 1 was junk, mane flew away or dropped out of the sky and it got lots of negative publicity. B2 is completely different beast.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jet and anbalck

umanbean

Reaction score
I'm still a fan of the Bebop 2. Cheap and reliable, no fragile gimbal but EIS with 180deg fisheye. It is stable in gale force winds, super sporty, and lives up to advertised flight times and range.
Almost impossible to destroy, with spares & repair tutorials available
SOLD!... Now i want a Bebop 2 :D

Still not getting rid of my Tello though... too much fun!

Seriously, I'll be researching the Bebop 2... thanks

volate!lo

Reaction score

Seriously, I will be researching the Bebop 2... thanks
If you are not plagued with 250gr regulations its IMO the best economical step up. Just don't expect super crisp video or photo quality better than Tello.
But overall quality is OK for casual users:

Koedoe888

Reaction score
I think volatello have the winner in the parrot. And it is a French company🤔. By the way the USA is clamping down on the Chinese company's I can't help but wondering how long before the ban Chinese made drones over US airspace. The hms is already hinting that Chinese made drones are "potentially" spying. So go ahead and get the parrot🤣🤣🤣

volate!lo

Reaction score
they are "potentially spying"? :ROFLMAO::LOL: You must be kidding. They are - voluntarily or not.

Everything Chinese is cloud based these days. any data within chinese borders is considered chinese property by the government. Any flight data, telemetry, sensor data is in fact in the hands of the chinese government. Not necessarily the video data right now but this is just a matter of time.
DJI controls if your drone flies or not. Chinese government could make the world a NFZ with the press of a button. Even if you use 3rd party apps.

Parrot is at least fully open with their API. They can't even enforce NFZs the way their communication is set up. If their App doesn't let you fly, just use a 3rd party app.
But they also announced layoffs and may leave the consumer drone business alltogether.
Now chose your poison...

anbalck

Reaction score
Today we all are one step before our irons and lamps will be connected to a cloud.
And this fact makes crazy most of the goverments.

Koedoe888

Reaction score
I don't mind it if they spy or not. I have an empty bank account and a shortage of hair on my head 🤣. Even the xiaomi fimi wil stop dead at nfz. The world is moving too fast these days.

Jet

Reaction score
I will just say one thing so I don't piss off the administrators for this forum, we should stick to Tello discussions. And from here on out I will.

With that said,
Jet it sounds like your already invested in Tello, yes it does add up quickly, and I'd be wrong if I said it won't cost you more later on trying new stuff.

So let's focus back to Tello, let's put your dream rig on hold, I've read, experimented, and discussed many subjects on this site, I'm no expert but I can sum up a few things to help you out with Tello.

First, TelloFPV app is a must.
Second, wifi extender is a must.
Third, absolutely crazy but I've seen a video of the Tello stock lifting a small RC car off the ground and still fully flying, rc car lost tug of war in that video.
Which shows it can lift successfully 30plus grams, I'd say a take off weight of 130 grams is possible, that's 50grams added on.
A Firefly 2 would be great for 1080p and 2k video at only 31 grams, next add a dipole AIO 200mw micro camera and separate 1S 350mah battery. And you could get better video and fly better in some breezy wind on the beach.
Hey SleepRobo,

Yep...I too was initially hesitant to bring up names of other drones in this forum but it's really kind of necessary given the context of our discussions. I'm not endorsing other drones I'm just referencing some of them as examples to make my point.

Also thanks for the Tello accessories recommendations. It seems like the purchases that I made thus far with the Tello are right in line with your suggestions. So it's good to get confirmation that I didn't waste my money.

Interesting suggestion you had in earlier post about building your own camera drone (buy drone w/o camera and then add my own Gimbal, etc.). I'm just not sure I'm that handy with electronics, also could be a time sink for me, but this approach could be a great way to invest in a less expensive drone and still give me an upgrade path as my needs evolve. So thanks for the suggestion.

I believe the Fly and AIO are whoops, right?...I was blown away by how good the video can be with some of these little guys. In particular I thought this video was really amazing (see @4:50):

It's incredible the quality of video you can get with some of these things and their flying capabilities. So much fun but I'm guessing you have to have pretty solid flying skills to be able fly these things and get reasonably smooth video. So probably not the best starter drone but maybe a future fun toy.

Cheers

Jet

Reaction score
I'll clarfy the reason for the analog AIO camera setup to add to the Tello, I found this out and my theory came true when I lost video from Tello but still had analog video, my on-screen controls of the Tello still worked, I had no video and or very laggy but my controls were spot on. I flew back from 100yards just on analog video signal at 25mw single wire antenna sketchy setup just fine with a 15mph head wind. Sure my sport mode fly back was slow but the image was steady and actually in a head wind very stable. I was still averaging 2-3ft per second where as downwind sport flight in 15mph winds put me at more than 10ft per second and I still got 10+ minutes of flight.
Oh wait maybe I misunderstood...The Firefly 2 is a camera or a whoop drone? Sounds like you were suggesting to add a camera to the Tello? That's interesting...I won't even ask how much money you've put into the Tello :) ...It's become you're hobby platform.

Cheers

Jet

Reaction score
I have a tello and xiaomi fimi a3. I got the a3 second hand with a lot of extras at just over the retail value of a tello and repeater🤣. I was saving up for a spark but I'm very happy I got the a3 instead. It take a bit of time to get use to it after flying the tello but for the basics I think after the tello I took to the fimi like a duck to water. The size is much bigger and it have a distinct sound and it got better after the firmware update and the gimball and camera have a nice quality recording. It's a bit awkward when you fly it for the first time because it can go higher and further and faster. It holds altitude and position just like the tello except it have GPS. And I like the controller with its own screen and you can get it flying very quickly. But I cannot carry it everywhere with me because of size and the noise will also attract unwanted attention. I am in the pest control industry and the tello have saved me countless of trips to rooftops and ledges. I changed a motor yesterday on my wife's tello that she got from my boss because he flew into a car the day he bought it and ripped a motor out. If it was brushless motors it would have costed a fortune to fix. On the tello you need patience and a bit of soldering skills. I'm not going to say keep or ditch the tello. From my side I'm happy with it and it is a nice prep drone for something more expensive and better.
Koedoe888, thanks for sharing your experience...That's really helpful to know that you were quickly able to leverage what you had learned in flying the Tello to flying the A3.

The fact that the Tello didn't come with a controller is one of my biggest gripes/concerns because as a "Trainer" I wanted something that would mimic what I'd be flying with my next drone (i.e., it will have a real controller). I have to say I'm not a big fan of the virtual joy sticks on the phone. It seems like they are not at all precise and they don't give me the tactile sensation/feedback I'm looking for. I oftentimes find myself looking down at the phone thinking maybe my fingers have slipped off or to the edge of the virtual joysticks and that's why the Tello is so laggy. .maybe it's just me..or the it's Tello fighting the wind...I can't be sure. But that's why I bought the GameSir T1d controller to use with the Tello...but now I understand (I haven't tried it yet) that the Tello is SUPER laggy with the controller because of the bluetooth/Wifi interference issues. So I'll be returning the controller.

Your points about the portability and non-obtrusiveness of the Tello are very well taken...And that is one of the things I REALLY like about the Tello. That and it's stable flight and video capabilities.

Regarding the expense of brushless motors I've seen brushless motors on Amazon for as little as $14.99 for a a pair of motors...granted that is for Cheerson CX20 (very small) so maybe these wouldn't be powerful enough to power the Tello if it did take Brushless motors. But I've also seen larger brushless motors for $21 for two (for the MJX Bugs 6). So that's not too bad. And maybe if the Tello's original motors were brushless you wouldn't be having to replace them and it would be able to fly more effectively in windier conditions. I'm just saying... :)

Thanks again

Last edited:

Koedoe888

Reaction score
Koedoe888, thanks for sharing your experience...That's really helpful to know that you were quickly able to leverage what you had learned in flying the Tello to flying the A3.

The fact that the Tello didn't come with a controller is one of my biggest gripes/concerns because as a "Trainer" I wanted something that would mimic what I'd be flying with my next drone (i.e., it will have a real controller). I have to say I'm not a big fan of the virtual joy sticks on the phone. It seems like they are not at all precise and they don't give me the tactile sensation/feedback I'm looking for. I oftentimes find myself looking down at the phone thinking maybe my fingers have slipped off or to the edge of the virtual joysticks and that's why the Tello is so laggy. .maybe it's just me..or the it's Tello fighting the wind...I can't be sure. But that's why I bought the GameSir T1d controller to use with the Tello...but now I understand (I haven't tried it yet) that the Tello is SUPER laggy with the controller because of the bluetooth/Wifi interference issues. So I'll be returning the controller.

Your points about the portability and non-obtrusiveness of the Tello are very well taken...And that is one of the things I REALLY like about the Tello. That and it's stable flight and video capabilities.

Regarding the expense of brushless motors I've seen brushless motors on Amazon for as little as $14.99 for a a pair of motors...granted that is for Cheerson CX20 (very small) so maybe these wouldn't be powerful enough to power the Tello if it did take Brushless motors. But I've also seen larger brushless motors for $21 for two (for the MJX Bugs 6). So that's not too bad. And maybe if the Tello's original motors were brushless you wouldn't be having to them and it would be able to fly more effectively in windier conditions. I'm just saying... :)

Thanks again
When outside you can fly in video mode but always be ready to hit sport mode once things get tricky. I have the tello fpv app and can adjust the attack angle to 25 degrees. Believe me the tello can handle wind. The gamesir t1s is a better bet because you can use it wired on the phone. Once the controller is worn out you can get another one. With a proprietary controller it may be a problem on some drones and maybe expensive on others if they get old.

Jet

Reaction score
OK last comment:

If you know you want at least 1080p then get it now. Spending $200 on Tello is ok if you enjoy it for what it is and does. But not for a trainer if you really want something else. So yes, get out of it.

If you have never flown a drone: get some cheap $10-$15 drone for indoor flights. H8, Syma X11, whatever you can get cheap with 2-3 batteries. If you break it throw it away.

These are harder to master than a Tello, Fimi or Inspire. It gets you in the air quickly, you learn the basics but its not really a trainer for GPS drones because these behave very different. As said large drones are way easier to fly.

Alternatives:
Spark obviously but for me it doesn't cut especially for beginners. Too fragile, short flight times, range issues.

Almost impossible to destroy, with spares & repair tutorials available from the manufacturer. Just make sure you use a lens protectoras the cam is the only expensive thing you can break.
The only thing is: Camera quality isn't like DJI in terms of resolution and low light noise, but far better than X9 and many other "4k" drones. In good light the result is very viewable with 100% reliable EIS even in gale force conditions where drones like Spark would stay home.

Bebop 2 runs around $200 + $10 wifi extender + gamepad controller ($20 flypad is ideal). That is for a refurbished / warehouse deal on a drone which was introduced for over $600 IIRC.

Or $250 for the FPV pack (drone + long range controller + VR glasses). personally I prefer wifi extender as it gets me 3km while skycontroller gives 1.5-2km at best and seems to have a few SW problems. But when I made my choice the controller alone cost as much as the drone (just over 300 each).

The main point:
Bebop has an active community like Tello, with hundred thousands units sold, a truely open API for programming and tons of apps available. See Flight Data Manager: How to add a GPS overlay on your Bebop videos - Parrot Blog for example, or Auriga Bebop for great VR FPV. The Parrot line is very accepted with developers, because they started their drone business with the ARDrone which was more a flying computer than a drone. So you can expect apps, app updates & support for the next few years.
You will never see anything like that for a Fimi or X9 or whatever. These are drones with no community at all and will be forgotten in 2 years.

Also with B2 you have the freedom to fly when and where you want and feel appropriate. No NFZ block telling you that you are not allowed to fly (even in your own house) because some politician is visiting nearby.

Whenever you read something negative about Bebop check its really about Bebop 2. Because the Bebop 1 was junk, mane flew away or dropped out of the sky and it got lots of negative publicity. B2 is completely different beast.
Based on your suggestion I researched the Bebop 2 and I think it is Fantastic suggestion!!!...

It hits on most of my key requirements. I really like what I've seen about it. Video with EIS is quite good...not professional quality but amazingly good considering it has no gimbel. Now it's a question of what it will cost me for a complete flying package. I still have to do that part of my research. But based on it's capabilities it's a contender.

Like with any drone this one has some drawbacks. And for this drone they are:
- Without a 2-axis gimbal you can't pan down.
- Only has 8mb of internal storage (seems you can't record to a SD card?) So you can only capture 40mins of video on board...1.5 batteries worth. Yes you can download it from the Bebop but it takes ~20mins to do that.
- Active Track and Flight Plan (waypoints) are not included in the price. They cost $20/ea. YUK!
- RTH doesn't include low voltage RTH. Can you say nickel and dime? Wish they would just include these.

But overall it's pretty impressive. It's like a larger Tello on steroids.

Thanks for the suggestion...It's a contender.

Last edited:

Jet

Reaction score
When outside you can fly in video mode but always be ready to hit sport mode once things get tricky. I have the tello fpv app and can adjust the attack angle to 25 degrees. Believe me the tello can handle wind. The gamesir t1s is a better bet because you can use it wired on the phone. Once the controller is worn out you can get another one. With a proprietary controller it may be a problem on some drones and maybe expensive on others if they get old.
I'm sure the Tello is much more capable than I'm giving it credit for in windier conditions. My flight skills just aren't there yet to compensate for the wind.

So you have GameSir T1d controller? And connecting it to the phone via a USB cable eliminates the laggyness people complain about with the bluetooth connection option? I'll be curious to hear your experience. Do you fly the Tello with the controller. If not why not?

Thanks.

Jet

Reaction score

Seriously, I'll be researching the Bebop 2... thanks
I agree the Bebop 2 seems like a great step up from the Tello. It will come down to cost for me.

If you're interested in the Bebop 2 I would HIGHLY recommend watching this video:

This guy does a fantastic job of reviewing the bebop 2. Told me everything I wanted to know in 24minutes (or 12 minutes if you play it in 2X speed like me :) ).

Well worth your time.

Cheers

umanbean

Reaction score
Told me everything I wanted to know in 24minutes
Thanks for the link, but i just don't watch 24 min long utoobs... and not interested in 'stepping up' from Tello.

Just thinking about something else to play with, that's all

Jet

Reaction score
Thanks for the link, but i just don't watch 24 min long utoobs... and not interested in 'stepping up' from Tello.

Just thinking about something else to play with, that's all
Got it...no more than 50 words and no more the 2 min videos for you. :ROFLMAO:

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kawajb