Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Dji Ryse Tello 2

Koedoe888

Reaction score
I'm sure the Tello is much more capable than I'm giving it credit for in windier conditions. My flight skills just aren't there yet to compensate for the wind.

So you have GameSir T1d controller? And connecting it to the phone via a USB cable eliminates the laggyness people complain about with the bluetooth connection option? I'll be curious to hear your experience. Do you fly the Tello with the controller. If not why not?

Thanks.
You get the t1s and the t1d. The t1d is tello specific and bluetooth only. The t1s can connect with Bluetooth or USB or wireless with a dongle that come with it. I used my neighbour's one with the cable a few times and it's good. With my wireless gamepad it's OK but once I use the repeater it becomes lag central because of all the interference. Needless to say I have ordered a t1s and I am waiting patiencely for it.

Jet

Reaction score
You get the t1s and the t1d. The t1d is tello specific and bluetooth only. The t1s can connect with Bluetooth or USB or wireless with a dongle that come with it. I used my neighbour's one with the cable a few times and it's good. With my wireless gamepad it's OK but once I use the repeater it becomes lag central because of all the interference. Needless to say I have ordered a t1s and I am waiting patiencely for it.
Thanks for that clarification. I wasn't sure the t1s would work with the tello. So if I understood your earlier comments from your prior post you didn't see any added lagginess when you used the T1s with the cable, correct?

Cheers.

umanbean

Reaction score
Since this thread has long ago and thoroughly been derailed from the original posters original intent, I think I'll bow out and 'unwatch' it now.

Y'all have fun exploring the philosophical depths of which cheap drone besides a Tello is the best for a particular purpose, and discovering widely known and easily discoverable wisdom concerning which gamesir controller is the best.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tubaman

umanbean

Reaction score
you didn't see any added lagginess when you used the T1s with the cable, correct?
A simple site search for 'T1s' will tell you everything you need to know about the T1s... short answer - since it's wired, there is no lag.

Jet

Reaction score
OK last comment:

If you know you want at least 1080p then get it now. Spending $200 on Tello is ok if you enjoy it for what it is and does. But not for a trainer if you really want something else. So yes, get out of it.

If you have never flown a drone: get some cheap $10-$15 drone for indoor flights. H8, Syma X11, whatever you can get cheap with 2-3 batteries. If you break it throw it away.

These are harder to master than a Tello, Fimi or Inspire. It gets you in the air quickly, you learn the basics but its not really a trainer for GPS drones because these behave very different. As said large drones are way easier to fly.

Alternatives:
Spark obviously but for me it doesn't cut especially for beginners. Too fragile, short flight times, range issues.

I'm still a fan of the Bebop 2. Cheap and reliable, no fragile gimbal but EIS with 180deg fisheye. It is stable in gale force winds, super sporty, and lives up to advertised flight times and range.
Almost impossible to destroy, with spares & repair tutorials available from the manufacturer. Just make sure you use a lens protectoras the cam is the only expensive thing you can break.
The only thing is: Camera quality isn't like DJI in terms of resolution and low light noise, but far better than X9 and many other "4k" drones. In good light the result is very viewable with 100% reliable EIS even in gale force conditions where drones like Spark would stay home.

Bebop 2 runs around $200 + $10 wifi extender + gamepad controller ($20 flypad is ideal). That is for a refurbished / warehouse deal on a drone which was introduced for over $600 IIRC.

Or $250 for the FPV pack (drone + long range controller + VR glasses). personally I prefer wifi extender as it gets me 3km while skycontroller gives 1.5-2km at best and seems to have a few SW problems. But when I made my choice the controller alone cost as much as the drone (just over 300 each).

The main point:
Bebop has an active community like Tello, with hundred thousands units sold, a truely open API for programming and tons of apps available. See Flight Data Manager: How to add a GPS overlay on your Bebop videos - Parrot Blog for example, or Auriga Bebop for great VR FPV. The Parrot line is very accepted with developers, because they started their drone business with the ARDrone which was more a flying computer than a drone. So you can expect apps, app updates & support for the next few years.
You will never see anything like that for a Fimi or X9 or whatever. These are drones with no community at all and will be forgotten in 2 years.

Also with B2 you have the freedom to fly when and where you want and feel appropriate. No NFZ block telling you that you are not allowed to fly (even in your own house) because some politician is visiting nearby.

Whenever you read something negative about Bebop check its really about Bebop 2. Because the Bebop 1 was junk, mane flew away or dropped out of the sky and it got lots of negative publicity. B2 is completely different beast.
It seems that Parrot is no longer manufacturing the Bebop family of products. I went on the Parrot Bebop 2 forum and there was long thread on this topic. Participants were noting that some replacement parts were getting hard to find and/or were 2X-4X more expensive. Yikes! I've purchase products in the past where the vendor exited a business and it was NO BUENO. Don't think I can stomach that experience again.

Too bad because the Bebop 2 & Bebop 2 Power ticked a lot of my requirements checkboxes. I'd have to get the Bebop 2 at a very low price to make it worth my while now.

DJI seems to be driving their competitors out of business.

Cheers

MarkyT

Reaction score
Sd card slot for onboard recording.
Option to upgrade to brushless in the futute via hardware firmware upgrade.
Adjustable Camera, even if it was manual set pre-flight. Maybe forward 40 degree and birdseye.

Reactions: Jet

Koedoe888

Reaction score
Maybe keep the tello as is. And bring out a plus model with a proprietary controller with better range and maybe display and add a clip on unit that can accept SD cards and plug into the USB port. The tello is a good platform all ready and it would be a nice add on. They can sell it bundled as a tello plus or as an accessory

SLANGza

Reaction score
It needs to be kept as an entry-level drone, with minor upgrades:

1. Increased range
2. 1500 - 1800 mah battery
3. 8MP camera maybe?

In my opinion

Jet

Reaction score
Sd card slot for onboard recording.
Option to upgrade to brushless in the futute via hardware firmware upgrade.
Adjustable Camera, even if it was manual set pre-flight. Maybe forward 40 degree and birdseye.
Definitely agree with the SD card slot and manually adjustable camera.
I'd like to see a 1080p camera as well.
I like the idea of brushless motors (more durable, more power to fly such a tiny drone in windier weather) if they can keep down the price and they can maintain 13 min or better flight times. If they had to make the Tello 2 a bit bigger to give it a bigger battery I'd be okay with that to. A little more weight would make it more robust in the wind.

Note: There are other drones available today in the sub-$100 price range that have brushless motors (e.g., MJX Bugs 3 mini ~$64) so it can be done but don't know implications to consumption/battery life (see link below)

Cheers

Last edited:

Jet

Reaction score
My hope is: Tello2 stays under the magical 250g line !
Yep agree....the good news is that it's got quite a bit of room to play before it gets there..It could triple in weight and still only be 240g.

monchito

Reaction score
I would like to see a upgraded camera a 12mp , instead of the 720p EIS maybe a OIS/EIS version with 1080p most modern smartphone have OIS that with EIS would make a great combination and the sd card slot, make it a tad bigger for a larger battery, yes a remote would be good but a dedicated controller with the maximum allowable power to really hit that 100meter mark or even 150meters. Remember there is nothing wrong with wishing . If Ryze would make a second version and move it up to the hobby grade but keep the weight below 250 grams there is a lot of room for a real good contender especially in the toy grade arena as you see more and more toy grade quads flooding for the market.

Jet

Reaction score
Ryze better get moving...there is some serious competition on it's way.

Granted the MicroDrone 4.0 cost more than the Tello but it does have a 2-axis gimbal with EIS and you can get a dedicated controller all for $240 at the moment. It's suppose to ship in June 2019.

Things are getting interesting in the Drone world.

Cheers

Jet

Reaction score
Yep it looks pretty interesting. I'm guessing that the purchase price of the drone may go up after their Indegogo campaign ends? Currently the drone alone is $165. If you buy the drone and controller together it's $240. And you can get 3 batteries for $65. So it does start to add up once you purchase what I call a "Complete flying Kit"...but that's true with any drone you purchase. The drone is only half the cost of what you'll need to purchase.

Competition is always good for consumers.

Walleye

Reaction score
I would be VERY leery of "buying" a drone with a start-up campaign that raises money for a non-existent product. Just do a search for "drone scams" an you'll find several. Lily, Zano and Plexidrone (to name a few) raised millions from eager drone purchasers but were essentially "vapor drones" without a way to get your money back.

Jet

Reaction score
Yep it's always a risk. This particular company has successfully delivered drones to the market in the past (e.g., MicroDrone 3.0) but you never know for sure until they deliver. But if I were a betting man I'd bet they will deliver something even if it's a bit later than June 2019...How good will it be..I'm not sure. On paper it sounds great. We'll just have to wait and see.

If it's as good as it appears on paper then it might give the Tello and DJI Spark 1 some competition as it seems to fall in between the two.

Cheers

anbalck

Reaction score
I have the large doubts about MD 4.0.
It uses the same motors as Tello. And it is 120 gramms weight...
Tello motors are very hot after 5 minutes flight with added 40 gramms...

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AntDrone