Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Easiest +200m mod? Onboard with the D-Link DMG-112A

nodecaf

Reaction score
While it is nothing new to daisy-chain wifi repeaters, with one on-board and one on the ground to achieve more than 200 m range, as demonstrated e.g. with the excellent build in Xiaomi Repeater onBoard Tello mod using the hobby's favorite MI WiFi repeaters, I have been a bit uneasy about trying this as I'm a bit short on time, and even while the MI repeaters are cheap requires a fair bit of modding to fit on the Tello.

Anyway, I got a D-Link DMG-112A USB wifi repeater bundled with a home broadband modem. It weighs in at 20 grams, and can be plugged onto an OTG cable to draw power from the tello, and held in place with a rubber band and a lego block!
The whole fitting took 2 min!
To daisy chain it with my existing MI wifi repeater was a bit fiddly to figure out, but I just needed to change the SSID after it was paired with the Tello, and manually set an IP on my phone's connection to an IP in the Tello subnet (192.168.10.5?). After that it was just to plug the two repeaters in and connect to the my local repeater.

It's been a windy day, and there is a storm brewing for the next few days, but I briefly stopped by a local park and almost flew out 200m in a very noisy (WIFI wise) area, had no wifi interruption messages and still had fine image feed.
I ran out of park and did not dare to venture over the houses due to the wind, and was satisfied I more or less experienced the same improvement as the two daisy - chained MI wifi repeaters. Yeah, looking at the prices, these may cost a little more, but you only need on of these onboard, and can have a MI on the ground, and can be in the air so much quicker and easier. I'm tempted to lose some of the plastic shell to bring the weight down further though.

Any questions or comments, let me know!

Fly Safe - NoDecaf!

Last edited:
Hi !
It's very interesting device, because it has both 2.4G and 5.8G wifi bands.
So it (may be :) ) can transfer 2.4G from tello and 5G to phone with less radio signal problems.
Try it !

Last edited:
Noisy environments and long distance wifi control / video do not mix well.

Out in the field you can keep all environmental parameters under control, but in urban areas you just count on luck. Just one heavy machinery or one microwavewith a broken shield or one directional wifi link and connection is lost.

Reactions: anbalck and nodecaf
Noisy environments and long distance wifi control / video do not mix well.

Out in the field you can keep all environmental parameters under control, but in urban areas you just count on luck. Just one heavy machinery or one microwavewith a broken shield or one directional wifi link and connection is lost.
Indeed. As mentioned under the picture (I ran out of park and did not dare to venture over the houses due to the wind), even if the houses look close, there's about 30 m of park left. Would not do that over an area I could keep LOS and not easily recover it!

Out in the field you can keep all environmental parameters under control, but in urban areas you just count on luck.
Yes, sure.
Broken microwave and other heavy machinery :) affects both wifi range.
But in many conditions 5.8Ghz works better. And don't get interference with BT.

I ordered Comfast CF-WR371AC repeater with both ranges and when it will arrive - try to do some tests.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Madrid