Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

GL-iNet repeater and Tello -- general question about setup and no video coming through

Reaction score
I know everyone here is using the Xaomi Xi (???) repeater + a portal battery, but I chose to use a GL-iNet MT300N v2 repeater instead. It's got about 20dB of signal strength and can be used as a repeater for multiple networks. It also supports OpenVPN. I plan on using it for travel when I'm not flying my Tello:

GL-MT300N-V2 - GL.iNet

That said, I got the repeater connected to the default Tello wifi network, no password. It accepted that network and connected just fine and stored the Tello wifi as a valid repeater network. The only hiccup is that changing settings bumps my iPhone off the repeater.

That said, I had some questions about the setup and the behavior when I DID get it working the one time it worked:

1. Will repeaters have issues with leaving the Tello password blank?
  2. I should be using WISP for the repeater settings on the GL-iNET, yes?
  3. The one time I got it working, I had NO video in the app -- is this normal?
  4. What will happen if I have multiple devices connected to the repeater by accident (e.g. after I'm traveling)? Will the Tello flake out trying to hand out multiple DHCP IPs?
I'll take a pic soon and show what the repeater looks like. I may get a second one dedicated just to the Tello to avoid issues. It's only $20 AND can be used later for other things.

ral67

Reaction score
no video in the app it not normal

the rest of your questions depend on your repeater

the Xiamo only support being configured to repeat ONE network
yes its a bit fidgety to get it setup - but at around 6$ its easier to just get an extra one

I am pretty sure that the Tello will only connnect to one device

According to some posts the Xiamo used to work without setting a password but now doesnt

Reaction score
the rest of your questions depend on your repeater

the Xiamo only support being configured to repeat ONE network
yes its a bit fidgety to get it setup - but at around 6$ its easier to just get an extra one

I am pretty sure that the Tello will only connnect to one device
I may end up doing that. I will remove the other repeater networks on the GL-iNET device and also remove the device from my other i-devices in the house. I kinda think I was overwhelming the Tello which can only hand out one IP address.

According to some posts the Xiamo used to work without setting a password but now doesnt
So -- if I'm reading this correctly, I should:

1. Connect to the Tello with my iPhone 8 Plus (not using the repeater)
  2. Set a generic password on the Tello
  3. Connect the GL-iNET repeater to the Tello with the password
  4. Connect my iPhone 8 Plus to the GL-iNET repeater and perform a test flight

I'll give that a try this evening. I did just get my 2nd and 3rd batteries last night, and I'm very eager to get outdoors and fly some.

Reaction score
Well -- I've tried a clean setup of the GL-iNET MT300N as a repeater. My steps were:

Turn on Tello
Connect iPhone to Tello and configure WiFi password
Make iPhone forget Tello WiFi connection
Turn off Tello
Turn on Tello
Connect iPhone to GL-iNET MT300N and add Tello WiFi connection as a repeater connection (client mode)
Confirm repeater is connected to Tello
Toggle iPhone WiFi on / off and connect to GL-iNET MT300N

I was able to fly the drone with the iPhone, but I could NOT get any video if I had the app in video mode before flying. I could NOT see a preview in some cases, OR the last video image captured (when configuring the Tello with the iPhone) would be stuck. I cannot toggle from photo to video, and I could not shoot anything when stuck in video mode. When I was in photo mode, I could shoot photos but never saw a preview.

I'm stumped. Gonna look at a Meross USB WiFi extender, but I'd love for the person who posted elsewhere in this forum about using a GL-iNET travel router to chime in on his/her experience.

No video preview while in the photo mode

IMG_5384.PNG

Proof that in photo mode, even without preview, photos were getting stored

IMG_5386.PNG

Stuck in video mode with last preview image before switching over to repeater

IMG_5387.PNG

Reaction score
Bump? Anyone ever seen a repeater NOT stream the video feed when paired with a Tello? At this point, I'm thinking about hitting up the Meross repeater.

Mike Wi

Reaction score
Bump? Anyone ever seen a repeater NOT stream the video feed when paired with a Tello? At this point, I'm thinking about hitting up the Meross repeater.
I tried to connect with a MT300A as well & it didn't worked. Got me a Meross MRE220 - easy install via web frontend no app required - & working great.

Reaction score
I tried to connect with a MT300A as well & it didn't worked. Got me a Meross MRE220 - easy install via web frontend no app required - & working great.
OMG thank you for replying and sharing your experience. Were you the poster you shared a setup video of the Meross repeater? I MUCH prefer the web-based setup interface to the one for the Xi Mao thingy.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anderson Pires