Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Hello from NC

redeyehal

Reaction score
Hi I'm from central NC and my son got a Tello for Christmas. It works great but found a few things out after I thought I had researched. 1) It will overheat and shut down to protect itself, this is nice but not easy when first setting it up. 2) It does not work well with all Android phones, mainly the camera. Video is pretty good, but picture is just lines. I thought I saw that it was compatible with the Moto line but apparently not completely. 3) The controls are SUPERB! I was really surprised at how well it works especially since the camera is not compatible. 4) There have been some issues connecting it to the Moto, see #2.

I have also tried the Windows 10 App Droone and it works pretty well, camera is good but controls are a bit shaky. I'd like to find an old phone that is compatible under $50 if possible just to get the full feature of the Tello. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Hope my post is not too long and in the right spot. Thanks and looking forward to learning more!

Reactions: dirkclod
Can’t help ya there and post is fine.

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .(y)

Welcome!
Try the TelloFPV app in the play store. It has a demo version and is a much better app than the stock app. If it works, buy it for $5.99. I only use TelloFPV app. The only thing I use the stock app for is firmware upgrade. Also using a wifi repeater makes for a stronger connection for both flight control and video. (See the threads here for repeater advise) To avoid the heat issue, simply place the Tello on a fan while setting up.
I would suggest a gamesir T1 or T1S controller (if you intend to use it for more than just the Tello. I.E. gaming) OR if you want a dedicated controller, then the T1D version as it only works with the Tello and nothing else.
It will connect via BT, but use an OTG for the controller otherwise the BT connection will destort the FPV video through interference from the signals.
Note; You can not use an OTG with the stock app only the TelloFPV app.
The TelloFPV app is leaps and bounds above the stock app and makes for a much more enjoying time! Worth every penny
It might resolve your Android compatability issues as well. The Tello is a great drone and has great value for the $ spent. You made a good choice for a beginner drone for your son! This is a great form and has a plethora of information! Ask for help with anything!
Happy flying!

Reactions: Terry
TelloFpv will work OK, just try the free demo first to be sure.

instead of using a fan to cool Tello you can use the CSC to arm the motors: Both "sticks" inward & down for 2 seconds makes the motors spin and tello stays cool in the prop airflow.
Throttle up for manual take off, throttle down to shut down the motors.

Reactions: Terry
For connection issues see here:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
97bugsinthecode