Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Help for a newbie!

Old Tellar

Reaction score
Along with the Tello I just purchased, I ordered a Game Sir T1D controller as I want to get experience flying via a controller. I have read there may be some better apps than the stock one that comes with the Tello (I have an Apple iphone X by the way) and am wondering if this is the best controller if I upgrade to a different app. By the way, I would be interested in hearing recommendations on other apps to purchase to increase my experience with my Tello.

Eventually I would love to try VR flying but am not sure when it a good time to tackle that. I hope earlier rather than later so recommendations on a decent pair of VR goggles would also be appreciated. I would like to have a goggle that I could use to fly the Tello as well as a drone more geared to outdoor flying if possible. OK, enough about me. If I should have posted this somewhere else, just point me in the right direction :)

T1D is certainly not the best choice. Yes it is "made for tello" - but not to optimize user experience but to optimize Ryze revenue instead.

All BT controllers cause video interference. T1D a little bit less than others, as it transimits only on stick moves where others transmit data every few milliseconds. But the difference is hardly noticeable in video.

T1D is also useless for anything else but Tello. If you are willing to accept this (and the video issues any BT controller creates) then a used Parrot Flypad is the much better choice, in terms of precision and build quality. Its probably the best device to actually fly (but again, video issues)

Check if you can get a wired controller for your phone.I have a gamevice controller, but the controller "sticks" are ridiculously small and thus controller precision just does not exist.
Personally I prefer the flypad over anything else, BUT I don't care much about video quality. If I do need the video I just use the phone controls.

VR is currently not available. The stock app does not allow correction of image position to fit your eye position so it requires lots of luck for you to see anything at all.
TelloFpv is brand new for iOS, and VR mode is currently not supported. It will come in maybe 1-2 weeks. Gives you enough time to order VR goggles :)

just get any set of goggles that can hold your phone, has adjustable optics that fit your eyes and some good test results.

Thanks for the prompt reply to my question, Volatello. I will be returning the T1D once it arrives and purchase a Flypad as you suggested. Should I purchase an OTG cable as well for use with my iphone X? I'm a firm believer in taking the advice of others who know more than I do on a given topic--and that likely applies to just about everyone on this site when it comes to drones. I actually came across your name when researching the Tello, so your advice is especially appreciated. Speaking of advice, do you have any recommendations on a good VR goggle for a newbie? I know you get what you pay for--but I'm also aware of the concept of diminishing returns LOL. I would rather pay for a decent VR goggle than puchase a cheap goggle only to turn around and wish I had spent a bit more to get the decent one that can do what is needed. I am just clueless on what is cheap vs decent vs over-the-top. Heck, even for the Parrot Flypad, I saw prices ranging from $40.00 to close to $200.00 just for the controller. And the $200.00 controller was going to charge $34.00 shipping to boot!

Along with the Tello I just purchased, I ordered a Game Sir T1D controller as I want to get experience flying via a controller. I have read there may be some better apps than the stock one that comes with the Tello (I have an Apple iphone X by the way) and am wondering if this is the best controller if I upgrade to a different app. By the way, I would be interested in hearing recommendations on other apps to purchase to increase my experience with my Tello.

Eventually I would love to try VR flying but am not sure when it a good time to tackle that. I hope earlier rather than later so recommendations on a decent pair of VR goggles would also be appreciated. I would like to have a goggle that I could use to fly the Tello as well as a drone more geared to outdoor flying if possible. OK, enough about me. If I should have posted this somewhere else, just point me in the right direction :)
hi...
I've been beta testing the TelloFpv app. on my iPhone 12
I find it more intuitive than the Ryze app. & more accurate in controlling my Tello

I'm still waiting for an OTG mini USB to mini USB cable (from Drone Accessories Australia) to test my Samsung S4 connection to PS4 controller. Cabling was unsuccessful with an IOS/PS4 cable connection...

Good luck....

hi...
I've been beta testing the TelloFpv app. on my iPhone 12
I find it more intuitive than the Ryze app. & more accurate in controlling my Tello

I'm still waiting for an OTG mini USB to mini USB cable (from Drone Accessories Australia) to test my Samsung S4 connection to PS4 controller. Cabling was unsuccessful with an IOS/PS4 cable connection...

Good luck....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karlyan