Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Motor problem

Terry

Reaction score
Hi all. Last night I had the tello in the air in the basement. My phone was dead so I was using my ipad with the original tello app. The drone was flying fine when suddenly it started into rotating spin and came down. I re tried a number of times but the tellos front right motor doesn't seem to spin fast enough to create lift.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi all. Last night I had the tello in the air in the basement. My phone was dead so I was using my ipad with the original tello app. The drone was flying fine when suddenly it started into rotating spin and came down. I re tried a number of times but the tellos front right motor doesn't seem to spin fast enough to create lift.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
This is the video taken as the problem began.

I'm sorry for this problem of yours ... try to check that there is no dirt between the shaft and the propeller and that this is not too close to the motor bushing, check that the propeller is not damaged or with strange profiles.
you can try putting a drop of lubricant on the base of the engine bushing and see if it improves ... Another thing that makes me think is that if everything was fine before, the engine has a problem of power absorption and must be replaced .
I have nothing else in mind!:unsure:

Reactions: Terry
I'm sorry for this problem of yours ... try to check that there is no dirt between the shaft and the propeller and that this is not too close to the motor bushing, check that the propeller is not damaged or with strange profiles.
you can try putting a drop of lubricant on the base of the engine bushing and see if it improves ... Another thing that makes me think is that if everything was fine before, the engine has a problem of power absorption and must be replaced .
I have nothing else in mind!:unsure:
Thanks flydrone. Its weird because they all spin with equal resistance and it did happen mid flight. I have new motors but was hoping not to have to do that.

unfortunately I fear that the best solution is to change the engine ...
Ryze sustains 40 hours of continuous bench tests, but we don't really know when an engine can last and this is the worst of Tello!

out of curiosity, try an IMU calibration and see if anything changes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Terry
unfortunately I fear that the best solution is to change the engine ...
Ryze sustains 40 hours of continuous bench tests, but we don't really know when an engine can last and this is the worst of Tello!

out of curiosity, try an IMU calibration and see if anything changes.
I tried the imu calibration last night. No go.

I had a similar problem, turned out there was a tiny piece of propellor missing.

I had a similar problem, turned out there was a tiny piece of propellor missing.
The propeller is good. The motor just spins slower then the rest. When the motors are armed you can see from the top that the one is much slower. I ordered new motors way back and I guess it's time time to use one. Waiting for a soldering gun from Amazon. 20200201_200220.jpg20200201_202214.jpg

View attachment 5616
Thanks carl. It's pretty straight forward as long as my old eyes can see. ?. Just ordered some helping eyes and fingers to help me out this morning. Should get it this week.

Hey Terry, post that link for me please! It's time for a new set of tri-focals for me too! ?. I was due back in December, but I hate going cause they dilate my eyes every time? That magnifying glass setup looks perfect!

Reactions: Kyle Knox and Terry
Hey Terry, post that link for me please! It's time for a new set of tri-focals for me too! ?. I was due back in December, but I hate going cause they dilate my eyes every time? That magnifying glass setup looks perfect!

Reactions: MNNJR69
Its definitely something my eyes need. Looks like a good setup for holding everything as well. ?

Reactions: MNNJR69
It's time for a camo skin and what better color than my favorite....Blue.

Attachments

• 20200201_201545_HDR.jpg
    20200201_201545_HDR.jpg
    758.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20200201_194114.jpg
    20200201_194114.jpg
    681.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 20200201_201611_HDR.jpg
    20200201_201611_HDR.jpg
    775.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20200201_201930_HDR.jpg
    20200201_201930_HDR.jpg