Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New app: TelloFPV for Android

even i faced this issue.If screen recording is on fpv video is not playable.i think this is phone constraint.
I wasn't running them at same time. But it could be the phone or a glitch. It missed 3 but from then it was fine. The same with the battery glitch. It only occurred once.

Mmm. I think with the corrupt videos it might have something to do with the fact that I was switching between video and sport modes because the wind is busy today. ?

Just took a short flight after firmware update. Wind is 28kmh and gusty. Had no trouble in either video or sport mode. Wifi connection was strong but I am in an open space. Funny thing is the flight log showed battery at take off to be at 0% but was correct at landing?. Almost got 13min which was not bad in the wind.
There was a race condition in the code, sometimes flight data was reset before it was written to permanent storage. Should be OK in the next release.

even i faced this issue.If screen recording is on fpv video is not playable.i think this is phone constraint.
When starting screen recording the first time a message is shown that exactly this is the problem for some phones. From my observations the first video started will record OK, and the second is unplayable.
This affects even some pretty recent phone models, and I think it is because the manufacturers chose to license the encoders for only one encoding.
At least I am not aware of some other bug in the video area.

I'm glad to share with you a new test of amazing Follow Me mode i did last weekend. I hope it will be public released soon ;)

Thanks Raul for testing & posting. How many attempts do you need to get a decend FollowMe video? I mean without considering the GPS accuracy issue we talked about.

Reactions: raulvolador
Thanks Raul for testing & posting. How many attempts do you need to get a decend FollowMe video? I mean without considering the GPS accuracy issue we talked about.

That's a good question. FollowMe always "works" but sometimes results are not perfect ;)

I noticed sometimes subject (me) is slightly unframed during Follow me, even dissapearing from image.

I would say FollowMe gives admisible results about 75% of attemps. Excellent results only got abot 50% of attemps. More testing needed anyway.

Raul.

EDITED 8/8/2019: FollowMe AP definitively removed from TelloFPV

Last edited:
I'm glad to share with you a new test of amazing Follow Me mode i did last weekend. I hope it will be public released soon ;)

Wow Raul, I was waiting for a feature like this! Amazing! When is soon ;)? I think is really works good already! Good job!!

v1.2 has just been released as beta test on google play. This will be a big disappointment for some of you. Sorry.

New
* vGPS: Synchronize Tello VPS and phone GPS (paid in-app purchase)
* Flightlog: Show last position in Google Maps (vGPS required)
* Flightlog: Share KML file, Open KL file in Google Earth (vGPS required)
* POI lock AP: lock on pilot (GPS position, vGPS required)

Changes

Fixes
* POI Circle AP: distance not stable during circle

FollowMe is not part of this release. It could well be that FollowMe is never released - I don't know right now. I don't want to release something I consider unreliable. I feel in its current state it gives probably more frustration than joy - and I'm running out of ideas.

Maybe the wider audience has more luck. The POI lock autopilot can now lock heading on the phone position (pilot). As with all GPS you need a few meters distance for this to work. GPS accuracy is a few meters not centimeters.

Since the future of vGPS is uncertain at this point you cannot buy this module. You can only test it.
To activagte vGPS you need to have at least 40min of outdoor flights recorded in the flight log. And you have to read the manual.

Since the future of vGPS is uncertain at this point you cannot buy this module. You can only test it.
To activagte vGPS you need to have at least 40min of outdoor flights recorded in the flight log. And you have to read the manual.

Unfortunately in these days if there will be a nice day I can't test VGPS. I deleted the log some time ago, but in total flight time I did more than 40 minutes (although I think this has nothing to do with it).
the complete log of my tello has been lost long ago for having deleted and reinstalled the app ...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-05-21-08-00-59.png
    Screenshot_2019-05-21-08-00-59.png
    83.6 KB · Views: 25
Unfortunately in these days if there will be a nice day I can't test VGPS. I deleted the log some time ago, but in total flight time I did more than 40 minutes (although I think this has nothing to do with it).
the complete log of my tello has been lost long ago for having deleted and reinstalled the app ...
Same here, all older Logs are deleted.
Had have a Flighttime more than 40Minutes :(

Lololol??. I need 20 minutes outdoor flying. ? It's almost hurricane conditions outside. Somehow standing under a tree don't cut it as outdoor flying. Once conditions are OK I will make up time. Have 3 spare batteries.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190521-071626.jpg
    Screenshot_20190521-071626.jpg
    555.1 KB · Views: 28
could you change this on the total flight time? 1 hour flight threshold ...
of course always if this is possible on your part. ;)

Last edited:
i hear you.... I will reduce this to 20min which is just 2 batteries.

A flight is considered an "Outdoor flight" if the flight's maximum distance from takeoff is >10m.

Last edited:
The future of vGPS & FollowMe...

vGPS is working OK for flight path analysis in Google Earth. Also the Google maps marker for the last known position is just an approximation but certainly better than nothing at all. At least its a starting point for your search in case Tello is lost.
POI lock on the phone position also seems to be good enough for some selfie videos (like people passing Tello on a bike).

But for FollowMe vGPS just isn't good enough. The phone compass doesn't consistently provide accurate bearings. With the current precision FollowMe results often look ridiculous, with people walking out of the frame after just 20m or so. As Raul said, he sees a working FollowMe in maybe 50% of his attempts which just doesn't seem acceptable to me.
I don't want to see tons of failed FollowMe videos on YT. I don't want to deal with the frustration people will face. And I don't want to deal with the low app ratings and reviews that would result from this.
I spent a lot of time and energy on this feature but I am running out of ideas. Consequently I will stop development of vGPS FollowMe. Its a dead end.

So what will happen now?
I consider the Google Earth / Maps features usefull and mature enough so vGPS itself will be released. It will be a paid In-App purchase because I want a "payment-wall" / barrier to keep casual users away. Otherwise I would drown in support requests by n00bs.
FollowMe will not be officially released. It will remain available as an unofficial & unsupported feature for vGPS enabled devices. It will require some easter-egg style unlock procedure, and of course the vGPS module.

Without the main feature the vGPS in-app purchase will cost only a nominal fee, maybe 1.50 Euro plus taxes. I don't expect large sales figures anyway - as said its more a payment wall to save my sanity.

Last edited:
OK, new version is down to 20min outdoor flights required.

To test FollowMe:
open menu - about
tap 3x on credits section
enter "s:tstr=1"

A new FollowMe AP is shown in the AP menu (vGPS must be unlocked first!).

... to me the last beta gives the "outdated" message ... why ??? :unsure: :(

Can you check the date & time setting in android? Do you use network supplied time or have you set your own time?
In the later case you either have to switch to network supplied date & time, or you have to go back to the public version.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
97bugsinthecode