Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New app: TelloFPV for Android

Still tweaking and testing but overall it works. One TelloFpv instance can serve one or more Copilot instances, which in turn can serve one or more Copilot instances each.

The hard limit seems to be the number of DNS leases that Tello can issue in one session (that is how many phones can register to the extender's network). That limit seems to be 6 phones in total (one TelloFpv instance, and 5 Copilots).

I am still a bit undecided how to release. I can release Copilot as a menu item on TelloFpv ("Copilot mode / Pilot mode"), or if I want to release Copilot as a separate (free) app.
You deserves to get paid for copilot.
Make it a lo cost add on.

Reactions: rajones19
That is for sure one aspect.

The other aspect is: This requires all Copilot phones to have a TelloFpv license. Maybe not feasible just to share an FPV flight with a buddy.
Of course this forces people to buy TelloFpv, but this is neither nice nor smart. Very few people would buy the app just to take a FPV ride. But if they take a ride using the free app they will probably buy a Tello and the app...

@volate!lo,

I love Copilot add-on concept. It's an amazing way to share flying experience with others.

As a TelloFPV owner, I don't mind to pay some money to get this funcion, but it's too embarrased asking a buddy to pay for use Copilot just one time :(

I hope you can find an optimal way for Copilot licensing.

Raul.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flydrone
So the concept is: TelloFpv gets the server functionality free. Copilot is released as a separate free app so your buddy can enjoy a free FPV ride.

Copilot itself will have a "buy me a beer" menu item to donate 1 Euro to my personal beer fund. No worries, I won't get drunk (net income per donation will be 0,40 Euro after all taxes and dues are paid). A beer costs 2,50 here so I doubt it will be more than one beer every other day.

TelloFpv will not get this button. People already paid for it so adding a donation button somehow feels wrong.

I may change TelloFpv to be able to switch between Pilot and Copilot mode with a button, but maybe not. Its not necessary and just adds complexity.

Anybody tried tello remote. Yet. I'm happy with tello fpv so I'm not going to try more apps. I have atello app as well and haven't used it in a long time. The copilot can have its uses. I was looking for something today in a tower and it was sunny. If my assistant had the copilot he could have been a spotter in the shade while I concentrated on flying.

I just installed and played with it for two minutes. Yikes it 44mb! WTF are they doing??

I lost interest after it took off and crashed right away without user input.

And... I don't fully understand what it does or is supposed to do. Well I do understand theoretically but I fail to see the usecase even if it worked.

I bet other users feel the same:
5000+ installs, but only 7 left ratings and only one review comment.
:unsure:

Reactions: GabrielK
So the concept is: TelloFpv gets the server functionality free. Copilot is released as a separate free app so your buddy can enjoy a free FPV ride.

Copilot itself will have a "buy me a beer" menu item to donate 1 Euro to my personal beer fund. No worries, I won't get drunk (net income per donation will be 0,40 Euro after all taxes and dues are paid). A beer costs 2,50 here so I doubt it will be more than one beer every other day.

TelloFpv will not get this button. People already paid for it so adding a donation button somehow feels wrong.

I may change TelloFpv to be able to switch between Pilot and Copilot mode with a button, but maybe not. Its not necessary and just adds complexity.
I will buy that beer!

I haven't had a chance to try it, but:
Any company, corporation, or person who comes out with an app trying to compete with Tellofpv had better make it a darn good one!

As we say in the U.S. Deep South - they'll have a "looong row to hoe" !!!

Actually TelloFpv was already _very_ late in terms of Tello's product lifecycle. I doubt any sane person would start a new app for Tello now, at least not for commercial reasons. Fun is totally different story!

I will buy that beer!
thanks! ?

Reactions: rajones19
Yippiiieeehhh my new Tello arrived today, so I'm back in the Game of Thro- I mean Tello.
So where can I find the copilot App? I will spent you 2 Beers if its Working.?

Oh man Im so Happy with my new Tello, cant wait to fly outside???

I have some problems releasing it on Play Store. Google is "reviewing it thoroughly", whatever that means... No clue how long that takes, all other app releases where less than 3 hours, and now its been over a day.

I am trying to work around this.

I think I just found out why they suddenly do a thorough review... The "Donate to my beer fund" function may have raised some red flags. I just learned that donations are not allowed within Android apps. I removed that part and did a new release, lets see when it will go through...
Anyway I will just release the update to TelloFpv to Play Store and upload the Copilot APK here in a few hours.

No, thats OK the way it is. Didn't feel right anyway. TelloFpv is doing well, so no reason to complain. Copilot will just be a free addon.
I just hope theyreview it asap and let it pass.

And don't worry, I still have a few beers in the fridge :)

so here we go.
TelloFpv 1.3 has been released to play store as beta version (so you need to be in beta program to receive it).
New
* Support for Copilot (a separate companion viewer app to be released soon, requires wifi extender!)

Changed
* Screenrecorder: Audio encoding improved

Fixed
* minor bugfixes

I currently can't release Copilot,because Play store says: "To help better protect our users, we'll take more time to thoroughly review your app."

I hope you all feel well protected by Google, but in case you prefer to use the app instead trythe one attached hereto.

As mentioned before you have to use a wifi extender or it will never work. Other than that everything should be automatic. I don't currently advertise this but it should work with a number of phones in parallel. I could run Copilot in parallel on up to 5 devices, but time required to connect the phone to the repeater was increasing (that seems to be caused by Tello's internal DHCP server). Once connected they all worked well.

Keep in mind that interference (bluetooth) adds up between the devices.

Please let me know your results both good or bad.

Last edited:
That's a really cool extension. I was wondering already for some time how to get the opportunity of two displays in master/student mode, as it until now was only possible for Master OR student to see the live video stream. But using this copilot app as I understand it closes also this gap in design. Viewing the video stream through the open Copilot app while being connected with a Gamesir as Student to the Master's smartphone. Great idea, thanks for this.

Reactions: volate!lo
Is there any possibility to transfer/export/import the TelloFPV settings from one device to another if someone is using the App on multiple devices?

Reactions: umanbean
Is there any possibility to transfer/export/import the TelloFPV settings from one device to another if someone is using the App on multiple devices?
Good question. I actually wondered the same a few weeks ago but didn't want to bother him with yet another feature request.

Even did a cursory search for where the strings and variables may be stored but didn't find anything. My phone is not rooted and I don't have the tools or the time to dig any deeper.

I've seen a lot of 'out in left field' requests lately, but this one makes sense for those of us who fly with multiple devices. AFAIC, it doesn't even have to be baked into the app... it's easy enough to copy a file from one device to another.

Congratulations vola (do you mind if I call you vola? LOL), you have done it again! Impressive!

I normally use my S5 to fly with, so I updated Tellofpv and installed co-pilot on my Huawei M3 tablet. At first I was disappointed that combo did not work, so I tried it the other way around. With the M3 as the flight device and the S5 as co-pilot everything worked great! Any lag is virtually unnoticeable to the human eye, at least mine anyway LOL

Further tests pending as time allows... GOOD JOB!

Reactions: volate!lo
Well people call me a lot of names, and vola is certainly better than most others. :p

Good to hear it works outside my office as well.
It should also work with your original setup in weither direction. If Copilot does not connect, shut it down and restart. Still investigating why it sometimes just doesn't see TelloFpv.

Last edited:
Don't have the time to keep fiddling with it right now, but I'm certain you'll get it straightened out soon... I've seen that happen too many times to doubt it.

Every time you come out with a new killer feature, I feel like a kid in a candy store all over again... yeeehaaa!

I'm going to put copilot on a USB memory stick with an OTG adapter so I can quickly install it on anyone's phone at any time.

I've said this dozens of times since December, but:
Thanks again!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccer843