Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New app: TelloFPV for Android

Version 1.5a has been released to play store and will be pushed out to the beta testers over the next few hours. This version should fix all existing video issues (well, and maybe create new ones - video codecs are the worst part of Android programming).
It also adds spiral mode for the circle POI autopilot, and configurable dronie angles, and continuous photo mode (takes photos every few seconds)...

Performed a quick try to 1.5 beta and all seems to be OK. Good work @volate!lo !

For reference, I post here some screen captures, showing new AP menu options for SPIRAL, ROUNDS, SPEED 360 and FLIGHT ANGLE. You won't be able to see them until takeoff.

tellofpv circle poi 1.5.jpg

tellofpv dronie 1.5.jpg

v1.5b is now in beta

Its just a refinement of 1.5a which makes continuous mode more accessible. I did not like the fact that to switch from normal phto mode to continuous mode one had to enter the photo settings.

To do that I removed the 360 panorama button, this autopilot can now be found in the autopilot menu just like all other autopilots.

There is now a continuous mode button. press to activate / deactivate. Configuration of the mode is still via settings screen.

I am a bit undecided if I like it that way. An alternative would be:
Invoke Continuous mode by long press on the shutter button (instead of the self timer). Self timer would get a separate button where the Continuous mode button is now. That would make the self timer the more prominent function, which I think it is for most users.
What do you think?

One more thing:
If continuous mode is set to "quickest" I often get significant control delay. Tello seems to ignore commands when taking a photo and preparing the JPG for download. How bad is that in your experience?

Invoke Continuous mode by long press on the shutter button (instead of the self timer). Self timer would get a separate button where the Continuous mode button is now. That would make the self timer the more prominent function, which I think it is for most users.
What do you think?

I would prefer self timer on separate button (Continous Mode has no interest for me)

Raul.

I am also leaning toward making self timer a separate button and leave Continuous mode the shutter long press. Somehow feels more natural, but that idea onl came after I had it implemented the way it is now.

IFrames internals have been reworked. Please check if you still need 3s, I think most people would be OK with 5-7s. These are arbitrary values anyway

Reactions: raulvolador
I am also leaning toward making self timer a separate button and leave Continuous mode the shutter long press. Somehow feels more natural, but that idea onl came after I had it implemented the way it is now.

IFrames internals have been reworked. Please check if you still need 3s, I think most people would be OK with 5-7s. These are arbitrary values anyway
I like the concept of defining "how" at menú level, and trigger "when" with a button.

1.5c was just released to play store as beta and will be rolled out over the next hours.

The only visible change is the handling of continuous mode: To activate / deactivated you have to long-press the photo/video selector button. While continuous mode is active this button will blink.

That allows me to keep the existing UI and the established functions.

This will become the final version once I have updated the manual & translations.

Oops, I'am a bit late, I'm afraid :(

Yesterday succesfully tested previous 1.5b. I spent a couple of batteries outdoor despite moderate wind, coming up 150 meters away.

Video quality superb, using @volate!lo suggested values: 4 sec Iframe Interval, Skip Corrupt Frames option ON (default value).

tellofpv iframe 4 sec.jpg

I tried new TRAJECTORY option for DRONIE AP

tellofpv trajectory default.jpg

User selectable options are: FLAT, LOWER, DEFAULT, HIGHER and MAX. That way, you can choose flight rise angle. Acording to my measurements, at MAX option your Tello will rise over one meter each three meters it goes away. At LOWER option it will rise one meter each twelve meters it goes away. Good news are even at MAX choice subject remains well framed at lower side of screen.

Also tested new SPIRAL option for CIRCLE AP

tellofpv spiral.jpg

Values are: NO, NARROW, MEDIUM, WIDE and EXTRA WIDE. That way you can force Tello circling an object while moving away. Take into account it's a flat spiral, not a 3d helix (It will be a good idea for a future AP, dear @volate!lo). At EXTRA WIDE your Tello will double distance to object at the end of each complete turn.

A few words about generic setting screens for AP: I noticed settings values are memorized between AP flight execution except SPEED an TIMER that I have to re-enter every time during flight sesion. It would be great to have the chance to memorize our favorite values not to waste a precious battery time. On the other hand, I use to change AP values through controller sticks, values changed effortlessly but something extrange happend into CANCEL/OK line. I spent long time trying to activate OK option. Half of the time I ended up pressing accidentally CANCEL option.

tellofpv ok cancel.jpg

I found some time to play with photo "continous mode". I can say it works although it doesn't seem useful form me ;). Bitrate is reduced to 1 Mbps and a countdown on screen informs you of remaining time until next shoot.

tellofpv continous.jpg

By the way, a mistyping at photo settings screen: "autotart"

tellofpv autotart.jpg

I hope it helps. Best regards

Raul.

Reactions: xcrost and Flydrone
Hi everyone,

I am running tellofpv on a Galaxy s6 I bought specifically for flying the tello. FPV mode is great with an old and cheap Xiaomi VR headset.

I am considering getting a new VR headset. Which one would you recommend? Will the Gear VR work?

BTW, are you people flying FPV mode?

Edit: would you please consider a see through phone camera option @volate!lo? It could be useful when flying FPV in order to quickly check surroundings.

Thanks

Me !

I use to fly FPV. It's much more fun ;)

I love flight inmersion and don't worry about sun glare over phone screen.

But I hate dual lens FPV googles. Due duplicate image, resolution is poor and I don't like simplified on-screen TelloFPV controls.

I always fly using a single-lens FPV googles and TelloFPV in full-screen mode. That kind of googles are very common in analog 5.8Ghz FPV model aircrafts.

fpv single lens.jpg

I wrote a full thread talking abot this subject here:

Tello full screen Goggles for VR (Virtual Reality) or FPV (First Person View)

And my vote for your "see through phone camera option" @volate!lo request. I often lift FPV goggles a bit for returning "real world".

Last edited:
Reactions: xcrost and trelo
Me !

I use to fly FPV. It's much more fun ;)

I love flight inmersion and don't worry about sun glare over phone screen.

But I hate dual lens FPV googles. Due duplicate image, resolution is poor and I don't like simplified on-screen TelloFPV controls.

I always flight using a single-lens FPV googles and TelloFPV in normal mode. This kind of googles are very common in 5.8Ghz FPV model aircrafts.

View attachment 4537

I wrote a full thread talking abot this subject here:

Tello full screen Goggles for VR (Virtual Reality) or FPV (First Person View)

And my vote for your "see through phone camera option" @volate!lo request. I often lift FPV goggles a bit for returning "real world".

Interesting point of view. I think I prefer the dual lens setup though. Currently thinking of getting a Gear VR because there is a lot more one can do with it but I am not sure it would with tellofpv.

GearVR has its own closed ecosystem, just like daydream. These don't work with TelloFpv, at least not without hardware or software hacking. Really I'd get a simple Vset of VR goggles for 10-15 bucks

I can understand the "through camera" but honestly the effort is quite high. I already did a similar thing for the vGPS and spend ages getting this right.
If I do it will be only for the VR screen. There is only a small minority out there using VR FPV (abou 2% of the user base) - but the number of people doing it Raul's way is maybe 1 or 2.

GearVR has its own closed ecosystem, just like daydream. These don't work with TelloFpv, at least not without hardware or software hacking. Really I'd get a simple Vset of VR goggles for 10-15 bucks

I can understand the "through camera" but honestly the effort is quite high. I already did a similar thing for the vGPS and spend ages getting this right.
If I do it will be only for the VR screen. There is only a small minority out there using VR FPV (abou 2% of the user base) - but the number of people doing it Raul's way is maybe 1 or 2.

The "see through" of functionality for the VR screen would be nice. And useful.

If I can bypass the app that opens when the Gear VR is connected, then it should work with Tellofpv. Is that correct?

I am quite impressed that only 2% of users of an app called TelloFPV are actually doing fpv!

You make me feel like a weirdo... ;)
Well, you make weird things :D:ROFLMAO:. Or actually not because I remember that's how it all started. But these days single screen VR is not mainstream.

The "see through" of functionality for the VR screen would be nice. And useful.

If I can bypass the app that opens when the Gear VR is connected, then it should work with Tellofpv. Is that correct?

I am quite impressed that only 2% of users of an app called TelloFPV are actually doing fpv!
All a matter of priorities... A feature that only appeals 2% of the user base and will be usefull only rarely even for those 2% does not rank very high - especially when its a lot of effrot and adds complexity.

Also FPV is not the same as VR. I FPV with the screen in my hand all the time, but rarely find the time to do proper VR FPV with controller and all that

Last edited:
Reactions: raulvolador
Oops, I'am a bit late, I'm afraid :(

Yesterday succesfully tested previous 1.5b. I spent a couple of batteries outdoor despite moderate wind, coming up 150 meters away.

Video quality superb, using @volate!lo suggested values: 4 sec Iframe Interval, Skip Corrupt Frames option ON (default value).

View attachment 4521

I tried new TRAJECTORY option for DRONIE AP

View attachment 4522

User selectable options are: FLAT, LOWER, DEFAULT, HIGHER and MAX. That way, you can choose flight rise angle. Acording to my measurements, at MAX option your Tello will rise over one meter each three meters it goes away. At LOWER option it will rise one meter each twelve meters it goes away. Good news are even at MAX choice subject remains well framed at lower side of screen.

Also tested new SPIRAL option for CIRCLE AP

View attachment 4523

Values are: NO, NARROW, MEDIUM, WIDE and EXTRA WIDE. That way you can force Tello circling an object while moving away. Take into account it's a flat spiral, not a 3d helix (It will be a good idea for a future AP, dear @volate!lo). At EXTRA WIDE your Tello will double distance to object at the end of each complete turn.

A few words about generic setting screens for AP: I noticed settings values are memorized between AP flight execution except SPEED an TIMER that I have to re-enter every time during flight sesion. It would be great to have the chance to memorize our favorite values not to waste a precious battery time. On the other hand, I use to change AP values through controller sticks, values changed effortlessly but something extrange happend into CANCEL/OK line. I spent long time trying to activate OK option. Half of the time I ended up pressing accidentally CANCEL option.

View attachment 4524

I found some time to play with photo "continous mode". I can say it works although it doesn't seem useful form me ;). Bitrate is reduced to 1 Mbps and a countdown on screen informs you of remaining time until next shoot.

View attachment 4525

By the way, a mistyping at photo settings screen: "autotart"

View attachment 4526

I hope it helps. Best regards

Raul.
Raul, great! You are right, I missed that one!

I will look into memorizing timer setting of different APs between runs, actually I thought it would memorize already.
Speeds are different speeds depending on the AP, so I don't think it's that useful here. Dronie speed simply has a different meaning then 360 speed.

I will look into the cancel / OK problem

Thanks for testing!

I also fly mostly VR FPV ;) and have been patiently waiting for the "outside" view feature since the start of this thread. I was hoping you could use the vGPS calibration while in VR for both of these features? The camera would have to activate regardless of distance/height and just display a message "Tello to close etc. for vGPS calib.". Seems like the basic function is there?? I am not a programmer :(

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karlyan