Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New app: TelloFPV for Android

Thank you!! Also thanks to all others for their continued support!

I think you are correct that 0.4 was the first beta.
Actually the first production version was made available on Play Store on the early morning of Dec 24th, around 3am local time and I had to drive 400km to a family gathering for Xmas the next morning :-(
The first license was purchase just an hour later by a guy in Austin, Texas. Must have been someone on the forum

Luckily I added license validation very early in the process, even though it was my first app and I was a bit naive. Otherwise TelloFpv would would be a dead orphaned project by now due to all the piracy going on. Yes, its that bad - just look at aTelloPilot.

But Xmas season is good, as app downloads have gone up again after slowly dropping over several months. Well, Tello certainly isn't new anymore and this effect is no surprise.

Overall TelloFpv is pretty much feature complete, has good ratings and all is well. There is only one major feature that I still want to implement: Flight path recording and replay, where Tello follows a known track and the user can focus on rotating Tello to make good videos.

So its time to get to new shores...and since we are a bit in celebration mood let me spoiler the next app. This time the apple folks will have something to play with.

Actually I am a bit late for Xmas, but this time its not my fault:

The project name is TelloMe !
(OK, the name is not ideal, if you have a better one let me know ASAP!)

Its not a TelloFpv for Apple. Its an app that uses computer vision to make Tello track & follow almost anything. Nothing else. Just tracking. Sounds simple!

Overall the app will have a very simplified user interface and no features beyond tracking. Maybe I will add a visual "circle me" but thats it. No advanced features, no controller support, no photo mode, no RTH, nothing. Just follow me.
I may be biased but I think its better to keep it simple focused for the apple users ;-)

It can track a face, or a group of faces.
It can track a person, or a group of persons.
It can track arbitrary objects: you draw a rectangle on the screen around something and tello hooks onto this.

For groups of faces / persons it tries to track the "weighted visual center" (no clue if there is a real term for this). If say three people are in view walking on the left side of the road and one person on the right, Tello will track a point more towards the 3 people on the left.

The app is ready for beta testing, but apple is a bit ... "different". They try to keep their walled garden of happiness and boredom clean. There is no reasonable way to distribute test versions except through their distribution mechanisms. So I have to "publish" even for beta testing, and the folks at Apple actually test not only production but also beta versions (seems real humans are doing this !?).
The app was just released to Apple for initial testing but Apple will shutdown their testing teams tomorrow for Xmas. I have no clue how long this process will take or how many rounds I will need to get approval. More so as they may ask me to send in a Tello drone for testing :-(

The following screenshots are made filming some youtube videos, so picture quality is pretty low. Overall video quality is on par with TelloFpv.

Here is the normal flight interface
View attachment 5211

The track mode selection
View attachment 5212

Tracking a person
View attachment 5214

And an object (OK, its a horse but most other objects don't move slowly enough)
View attachment 5213

I will create a separate thread once Apple has approved the initial version for beta and someone can actually test it

Looking forward for this release. Any news?

Reactions: IroN
hello Volatello
I've just noticed (after 4 flights.. all with same results) that the last video recorded until landing (without having stopped video recording) is always corrupted..
maybe you want to have a look and fix it..
thanks
63e2ddffd9e31181e63aeb283a530020.jpg

Inviato dal mio Note10+ 5G utilizzando Tapatalk

Reactions: stephanriederer
Looking forward for this release. Any news?
Apple will get back from holidays after 27th. I guess they don't work on Sat / Sun so maybe monday? Then maybe they will ask for some more clarification or whatever and then hopefully approve the app for first beta release... tedious process with them

What’s the Headless feature?
Headless locks the direction of pitch & roll so that the drone will always go to the same direction regardless of the heading. Its a feature mostly known in toy grade drones.
There are plenty of youtube videos explaining headless. Not particularly useful for me but many beginners asked for it
There is a new option to dynamically adjust the direction of pitch & roll so that "pitch forward" always means away from startup point. Can be confusing though

hello Volatello
I've just noticed (after 4 flights.. all with same results) that the last video recorded until landing (without having stopped video recording) is always corrupted..
thanks

I have had a handful reports of corrupt videos over the last few months with unknown cause. This is the first pointer that can possibly help to find the cause. Thank you!!

hello Volatello
thanks

ooooo same problem here ?‍♂️

Apple will get back from holidays after 27th. I guess they don't work on Sat / Sun so maybe monday? Then maybe they will ask for some more clarification or whatever and then hopefully approve the app for first beta release... tedious process with them

Headless locks the direction of pitch & roll so that the drone will always go to the same direction regardless of the heading. Its a feature mostly known in toy grade drones.
There are plenty of youtube videos explaining headless. Not particularly useful for me but many beginners asked for it
There is a new option to dynamically adjust the direction of pitch & roll so that "pitch forward" always means away from startup point. Can be confusing though

I have had a handful reports of corrupt videos over the last few months with unknown cause. This is the first pointer that can possibly help to find the cause. Thank you!!
It would be great if you make a Android version (track feature).

Shut up and take my money [emoji6]

Enviado de meu SM-N975F usando o Tapatalk

Reactions: volate!lo
OK, that makes sense. That was a known & fixed issue about a year ago but maybe somehow the bug crept back into the code.
I think i've found the issue, I've made a flight now and make 4 videos, and the one that got corrupted was the video I started recording while at 30m high and poor signal, when I got lower the signal was already fine, but, the entire video went corrupted because at the moment I've started recording the signal was really crap.

Возможно где-то еще преобрести? Не доступно в России, очень жаль(
Perhaps somewhere else to buy? Not available in Russia, very sorry(

Depends on what happens next with my IOS app. If its finally rejected I may look into this, after releasing some FolowMe app for Android.
Otherwise I think I will be busy for some time.

So you are coding an follow me App, which we all asked for to do in tellofpv - but for Apple???
I would guess that's because the iOS SDK is different than Android and makes follow-me possible, or at least easier? I'm not a developer on either platform but that would be my guess.

"which we all asked for to do in tellofpv"

Then I must be the only Tello flyer on this forum who does not desire a follow-me function... just don't understand why that is so all-important to so many people?

TelloFPV already has all the features and functionality I want, and more.

Reactions: volate!lo
So you are coding an follow me App, which we all asked for to do in tellofpv - but for Apple???
I like this kind of Humor.
Guten Rutsch!
Why IOS?
IOS comes with a computer vision SDK included, so it has the basics without any huge library. Android does not have this, it requires external libraries and we all know how bad this can be (see Ryze app, which is built using tons of external libs).

The reason to start with IOS: Its a test balloon to understand the markets for drone apps. My plan is to release this for both, with IOS taking the lead to see how the two markets compare.
As said Android will have to use huge external libraries (increasing the app size to around 80mb)

Why not in TelloFpv?
Business reasons ... If I add any computer vision into TelloFpv this would change the hardware requirements dramatically. Right now it runs on a 6 year old phone, or a $70 Amazon tablet. With computer vision we are talking about recent $500+ phones instead. Not everybody has such a phone so this would leave many users behind.
Reducing the potential number of users is probably the best way to minimize download figures and sales, and get bad reviews from all those who can't use it. This would simply kill TelloFpv.

I would guess that's because the iOS SDK is different than Android and makes follow-me possible, or at least easier? I'm not a developer on either platform but that would be my guess.

"which we all asked for to do in tellofpv"

Then I must be the only Tello flyer on this forum who does not desire a follow-me function... just don't understand why that is so all-important to so many people?

TelloFPV already has all the features and functionality I want, and more.
you nailed it!

Yesterday I had a long walk and its pretty cool to see Tello constantly fly ahead of me or side by side. Now I never use videos so its useless for me but still cool.

Yesterday I had a long walk and its pretty cool to see Tello constantly fly ahead of me or side by side. Now I never use videos so its useless for me but still cool.
Keep talking like that and you just might convince me LOL

I like cool stuff !

Been thinking about getting an iDevice. My family is all-Android except my daughter, and she's away at college. If I added an iPhone we could Facetalk, plus I could try out your new app. (y)

Reactions: IroN and volate!lo
Peer pressure at it's best. Luckily my kids don't care about apple as over here it's all mixed. Apple has a market share of maybe 1/3

Personally now that I have used both I really envy the hardware quality. Software runs well but some concepts are just awkward and inconsistent. And their policy of keeping everything under their control to protect the innocent users from anything evil just sucks.

Reactions: IroN and umanbean

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv