Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New app: TelloFPV for Android

Hi,

Testflight with v0.98y today. First of all arming via button mapping works fine ?
I had my first disconnect ever while flying & couldn't reconnect. I received an error messages telling something about flight mode as the reason for not reconnecting? Luckily my Tello went into hover mode on the field nearby & descended to knee height immediately. I went by, grabed under it & turned it around to switch it off, because I couldn't reconnect in any way I tried. Don't know whether this is in any way related to the new version though.

thx

-mike

Hello , I already checked several posts about controllers and have one question . Is someone can confirm that gamesir t1s controller is better to tello than gamesir t1d? Best regards Marcin
GameSir T1s works like T1d. But T1d only connects via BT and T1s connects via BT or USB OTG:
Some people say that T1d just works with Tello. T1s can work with every platform.
I have one T1s and works very well. In my opinion T1s is a better choice.

OK; lets hope that was the root cause.

I can see crash stacktraces for 0.98y for a phone called LGUS997 running Android 8.0. The TelloFpv device id (see "menu about") ends with 2a98 . Is that yours?
The crashes happened when opening a settings screen guess?
Yes, that is I. :)
I was trying to map the controller button but I can't recall exactly when the app cut out. There are more than two controllers to select from. One is called 'Gamesir T1s', 'Onscreen' and 'Xiaoji Gamesir T1s 2.13'.

Only when the third was selected, things worked. No idea where the first option came from suddenly. No idea of it's got something to do with it. Have to play around more with it tonight after work (but I'll be out skiing, I think.)
3af6aad1336c3494bc3dd97ef57e9947.jpg

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

Hi,

Testflight with v0.98y today. First of all arming via button mapping works fine ?
I had my first disconnect ever while flying & couldn't reconnect. I received an error messages telling something about flight mode as the reason for not reconnecting? Luckily my Tello went into hover mode on the field nearby & descended to knee height immediately. I went by, grabed under it & turned it around to switch it off, because I couldn't reconnect in any way I tried. Don't know whether this is in any way related to the new version though.

thx

-mike
There are three different stages states of being disconnected:
1. No / wrong wifi. This is identified by checking if the phone has active wifi, and if the wifi uses the IP range of Tello. TelloFpv says "Please connect to Tello's wifi"

2. Phone is connected to Tello's wifi but can't talk to Tello, that is a ping sent to Tello is not answered. That typically happens when some smart Android routing mechanisms kick in. They know that Tello's wifi doesn't offer internet services, and route the data to cellular. TelloFpv says "Connecting to Tello... Is phone in flight mode?". This will also be show for a few (20?) seconds if there was a Wifi disconnect, as Android needs this time to identifiy that the wifi link is indeed broken.
If you are using a wifi extender this message may indicate a broken wifi connnection between router and Tello: wifi between phone and router is still OK, but the ping can't reach Tello. Some wifi extenders are notoriously slow to reconnect.

3. Phone is connected to Tello's wifi and Tello can be reached by ping, but doesn't answer the connection request. Tat is usually the case if the Ryze Tello app is still open (in the background) because it claims the connection and does not release it. TelloFpv says "Connecting to Tello... Is Ryze Tello App still open?"

Right now I'd say you had a genuine Wifi disconnect. I will do some more tests.

There are three different stages states of being disconnected:
1. No / wrong wifi. This is identified by checking if the phone has active wifi, and if the wifi uses the IP range of Tello. TelloFpv says "Please connect to Tello's wifi"

2. Phone is connected to Tello's wifi but can't talk to Tello, that is a ping sent to Tello is not answered. That typically happens when some smart Android routing mechanisms kick in. They know that Tello's wifi doesn't offer internet services, and route the data to cellular. TelloFpv says "Connecting to Tello... Is phone in flight mode?". This will also be show for a few (20?) seconds if there was a Wifi disconnect, as Android needs this time to identifiy that the wifi link is indeed broken.
If you are using a wifi extender this message may indicate a broken wifi connnection between router and Tello: wifi between phone and router is still OK, but the ping can't reach Tello. Some wifi extenders are notoriously slow to reconnect.

3. Phone is connected to Tello's wifi and Tello can be reached by ping, but doesn't answer the connection request. Tat is usually the case if the Ryze Tello app is still open (in the background) because it claims the connection and does not release it. TelloFpv says "Connecting to Tello... Is Ryze Tello App still open?"

Right now I'd say you had a genuine Wifi disconnect. I will do some more tests.

That clears up one things or two.... Ryze Tello app doesn't count, cause it's not installed. Indeed I flew using my extender, so the error message regarding the flight mode makes sense. But on loosing conntact I pulled the extender immediately, but couldn't connect to the tellos network either?

That clears up one things or two.... Ryze Tello app doesn't count, cause it's not installed. Indeed I flew using my extender, so the error message regarding the flight mode makes sense. But on loosing conntact I pulled the extender immediately, but couldn't connect to the tellos network either?

So you could not re-connect to Tello's wifi using the normal Android wifi screens?

Yes, that is I. :)
I was trying to map the controller button but I can't recall exactly when the app cut out. There are more than two controllers to select from. One is called 'Gamesir T1s', 'Onscreen' and 'Xiaoji Gamesir T1s 2.13'.

Only when the third was selected, things worked. No idea where the first option came from suddenly. No idea of it's got something to do with it. Have to play around more with it tonight after work (but I'll be out skiing, I think.)

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

I can see what caused the crash in the settings screens. This is an easy fix.

So you could not re-connect to Tello's wifi using the normal Android wifi screens?
That's correct, I could not connect to the tello's network directly via the Android wifi screen - it only tried to connect, but failed to negotiate an ip-adress. I once reported problems concerning video/photo problems with my S5, it couldn't catch no stream or photo - after rebooting my phone these problems almost went away completely. Maybe there's a memory related problem in interaction between my phone & TelloFPV ?

Proud TelloFPV Beta tester here! I must say,the effort put forth by @volate!lo into creating this impressively encompassing app is truly inspiring and further proves that the UAV community has within it's ranks some of the most incredibly talented and passionate members of any hobby/industry.

This app is a truly great piece of kit to further enjoy, master and unlock your Tellos full arsenal of skills. In this case..The sky's is actually NOT the limit!

Keep up the outstanding work @volate!lo. The app and it's well written (and nearly telepathically updated ) manual is a master class in how an app should be developed and rolled out.

Using latest beta tested the "low battery" screen hang problem 3 times - it never happened again :)

New problem appeared: Blank menu screens after TelloFPV app switch out to set the WiFi connection to Tello drone and then when in returned the problem appeared. Restarting the app fixed the issue. @volate!lo I sent you record from the problem but it's not critical.

Note: Otherwise the TelloFPV app is like miracle come true. Hope the magic will last forever :)

That's correct, I could not connect to the tello's network directly via the Android wifi screen - it only tried to connect, but failed to negotiate an ip-adress. I once reported problems concerning video/photo problems with my S5, it couldn't catch no stream or photo - after rebooting my phone these problems almost went away completely. Maybe there's a memory related problem in interaction between my phone & TelloFPV ?

This particular case (wifi is disconnected) it's purely something with your phone's Android and/or Tello itself.

TelloFpv does exactly nothing about the underlying wifi connection. Thats IMO all too fragile to mess with it. I never could get the autoconnect of aTelloPilot to work for me.

All TelloFpv does is: Check if wifi is connected, check what IP address the device has, send a ping, and then send/receive UDP data. It does not mess with the wifi connection itself in any way.

As for no video / no photo. That is typically related to codec (the nasty low level programs used to encode / decode video). Codes are known for being delicate, and because the work on the raw memory (and not higher level abstractions) they tend to cause troubles. I'm not fully ruling out that there is something in telloFpv though...

Using latest beta tested the "low battery" screen hang problem 3 times - it never happened again :)

New problem appeared: Blank menu screens after TelloFPV app switch out to set the WiFi connection to Tello drone and then when in returned the problem appeared. Restarting the app fixed the issue. @volate!lo I sent you record from the problem but it's not critical.

Note: Otherwise the TelloFPV app is like miracle come true. Hope the magic will last forever :)
Hi there,

seen that one too, its related to the problems tello_ar had with opening the controller configurations. I will do another beta in a couple of minutes to address these.

Today tried new Version in a Sunny day.
Circle POI dosnt Work on both my Phones (LG and HTC)
Rth and POI Works well.
Lost WiFi at 20m height (Extender)

Today I also received Low Wifi signal (10db) blinking (with extender) but the drone was responsive at returned from 30 meters back to me with excellent video quality. The warning did not stop blinking all the time ... strange. Will send a video if requested.

Tested all features on previous beta, everything is working fine! Reached 30 meters of altitude without streaming problems or signal loss and was able to reach a distance of 223 meters with wifi extender, then wifi interference warning started to appear but i'm happy with the results. Just tested latest beta indoors, no problems there either. To me the only improvements I would like to see are:
D pad mapping;
Having the hability to take pictures without stopping video recording;
While in fast mode and preforming AP functions like circle me or 360, tello should return to fast mode when AP functions end;
Tracking or at least facetracking, that would be cool!
Its a great app!
Using Honor 8 Pro phone & Xiaomi wifi repeater v.2

OK, I just flew 3 batteries outdoors. OK, Tello was ouside, I like it warm so let Tello fly out the window (with extender placed outside as well).

Not a single TelloFpv related problem, so I will prep the next release now.

But on my last Battery (it was getting dark) I had Tello roughly 100m away and at 40+m altitude (30m + starting at our top level maybe 8m + plus a hill sloping down 4-5m), very little wind today.
Tello started to do a violent toilet bowl, stagger like a drunk and get out of control while hovering. Like these $10 micro drones do when descending in their own propwash. Instead of thinking I just automatically did what I do with these tiny drones: throttle down and pitch forward to get out of the propwash and stabilize. Tello stabilized and came down OK.
However after that the home position was totally off. I mean really off, about 70m east of the starting point. The VPS was completely confused.

Don't go too high in low light conditions. If you exceed the design parameters of Tello you can see nasty things.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv