Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New app: TelloFPV for Android

I'm sorry, but I may have been wrong about roll being backwards to begin with.

Just for kicks, and to see if the problem was the same, I connected the T1s with OTG cable.

Stable hover, but only pitch and throttle was backwards... seems it something in the Y axis?

OK, I think I got it. The Y axes were inverted in one controller type but not the other. Anyway I will clear out all controller definitions on the next upgrade to be on the safe side.

In just the last week-or-so, I've become a fan of hand launching and landing... the countdown beeping you just added in v1.02 is a nice touch thanks.

With this app I've also become a real fan of using on-screen joysticks!

All the precision and functionality I need is right there on the screen. Every button you'd need in a nice clean interface. Enlarge the on-screen joysticks just a bit, adjust the expo and dead zone just a bit, and I can do slow, tight figure eights inside of a 1m circle... to me, that's precision.

And outside - 2 days ago we had a rare virtually windless day here and I took the opportunity to fly Tello outside... went to the middle of a triangular 7 acre grass field with just Tello, three full batteries, and my phone - with only Tellofpv installed. In sport mode and with Max attitude set to 25, I zipped around that field, ducking and diving, manually circling and strafing myself with ease, and doing fast figure eights directly over my head. To say I 'had a blast' is an understatement!

Sorry, just had to get that out...

Last edited:
Yesterday in the evening I've updated TelloFPV to 1.02 and I've tested the mapping to the Gamesir T1s controller.
Positive: Also the D-buttons can be mapped. (y)
Not so good: The fly-directions are wrong (always mentioned here).

I read here that an deinstallation and installation could help. So I did this. But then my controller made trouble and fights out to connect. :(
But this I guess is not caused by the app. It was late and I was tired and I stopped testing. I'll see if I will continue tonight. ;)

I'll have to play with 1.02 later, no time this a.m., but good thing I had a backup of 1.01.

After updating, clearing controllers, re-scanning to find the Gamesir T1s (BT), all stick movements except yaw were backwards and unpredictable rate/expo-wise... just touch down-throttle stick and it would shoot up! Also sticks didn't seem to 'go nuetral' when centered... Tello was wandering around like a drunkard, pretty fast too. I grabbed the phone and landed with onscreen sticks.... went into Controller Tuning and clicked 'reverse' on the sticks, took off again, same behavior.

After reverting to 1.01 and re-do settings, everything fine.

Now I'm not complaining by any means! Just wanted you to know.

It may be that I just need to spend some time in the Controller Tuning menus.

Galaxy S5, 6.01, Gamesir T1s
..pretty the same, The description is almost applicable to mine, except I got some crashes.

Sorry. I had the vertical stick axes mixed up between the controller types. Horizontal stick axes should be OK.
late yesterday I released 1.03 which fixes this.

Let me know how this works out for you!

Reactions: umanbean and MrSpok
Thank you for offering 1.03.
The orientation of the vertical stick of the wired controller(gamesir G3,T1) I am using has returned correctly.
However, the motion of the vertical stick graph of the controller tune menu is opposite.

Last edited:
@volate!lo

I'd like to report you an scary video bug happend to me last yesterday fligth :(

Fisrt of all, you must know I'm still remains into outdated version TelloFPV 1.01

Bug happend to me during flight when accidentally pressed virtual flight button and TelloFPV entered VR mode. Video goes black and let me blind for an endless minute. Wifi signal was good, up to 70db.

Here some issue screen captures:

Everyting started when I entered Video menu to review settings. When I tried to press the menu exit button I missed button and pressed virtual flight mode, as both buttons are too close in screen.
tellofpv issue 1.jpg

TelloFPV entered VR mode. As you can see video goes black. I was 225 meters far away ! :eek:
tellofpv issue 2.jpg

I exited VR mode but video signal still black. I panic.
tellofpv issue 3.jpg

I went back to the video menu and changed some options without success. More panic :cry:
tellofpv issue 4.jpg

Luckily I remembered flight orientation I tried a scary blind flight for a minute. I returned from 225 meters distance to 110 meters seeing nothing.
tellofpv issue 5.jpg

Just when I made eye contact with Tello and I calm down video signal suddenly came back 100 meters away
tellofpv issue6.jpg

I will try to reproduce problem to realize if it is a ramdom issue or something more serious.

Meanwhile be aware pressing in-flight VR button accidentally. ;)

All the best.

Raul
-----

EDITED 16 FEBRUARY 2018: PROBLEM SOLVED. A LOT OF FLIGHT TEST TELLOFPV 1.03 VERSION BUT ISSUE HAPPEND NEVER AGAIN.

Last edited:
Finally, I´m done with testing off the new app, so I would like to share short report :)

First of all I would like to thank to Volate!lo for this app, five star rating in play store, sure thing.
I really stop my thinking about Zerotech Dobby when I began flying with TelloFPV app.

I´am really grateful that there is no automatic start of recording when some of the flight modes is started.
Official app always stopped my recording when I use some of the flight modes, it makes short clip and then I have full gallery of short clips instead of one long.

I found two issues that I would like to mention.

RTH speed when Tello goes upwards.
Tello upward speed is oscillating somewhere between 0,1 to 0,3 m/s, it seems to me slower than speed in video mode.
When I fly 5m above the ground and set up minimum altitude for RTH to 15m, it takes around 30 sec. to achieve the altitude.
Is there some reason for that speed limitation or can it be increased?

Batery level below 10%.

When the baterry goes below 10% Tello automatically land with no chance to cancel landing or somehow control it, also it´s impossible to take off.
10% of battery is around one minute of flight time, so enought time to get Tello from some distance back to home.
Is that some kind of baterry backup level for safety landing from high altitude or something like that?

I have one suggestion for some future app modification, it´s about fly mode "up and away".
I expected much more from this mode. Currently it works like 3m away and 1m up, that is very short distance and it´s almost useless.
So I have to do it manually and on all of videos I´m with a bowed head to the phone instead of smiling to the camera :)
Would it be possible to add to app some kind of adjustment?
It could be for example, set up distance and altitude or just continue fly up and away until press stop button or something like this.

Thank you

Sagvan

I have one suggestion for some future app modification, it´s about fly mode "up and away".
I expected much more from this mode. Currently it works like 3m away and 1m up, that is very short distance and it´s almost useless.

+1

I believe enhanced "up&away" is already into @volate!lo to-do list, but he is very busy fixing bugs ;)

As for the autolanding due low battery I am afraid it has not easy app solution because it's implemented into Tello's firmware.

I can't help you about RTH upwards as I have never used minimum altitude for RTH. Turning and returning is enought for me.

Be patient and enjoy TelloFPV

Raul
------

Last edited:
Reactions: Sagvan82
I had an issue after switching to fast mode, video signal is lost (fuzzy line on screen) and cannot record any videos, is this a known fault or limitation? As soon as I switch back to normal mode, I get video signal back.
And is there any plans to allow to change default storage location from internal to Sd card on phone?
Currently using galaxy s9 with ps3 controller with otg.

Thanks!

Last edited:
late yesterday I released 1.03 which fixes this.

Let me know how this works out for you!

1.03 fixed T1s stick issues for me, thanks.

I also accidentally hit the FPV button yesterday too, but was aiming for the EV comp button - outside in bright light and couldn't see the screen well. Was hovering at the time, setting up for a photo. In my case, everything back to normal after exiting FPV.

Reactions: raulvolador
@volate!lo

I'd like to report you an scary video bug happend to me last yesterday fligth :(

Fisrt of all, you must know I'm still remains into outdated version TelloFPV 1.01

Bug happend to me during flight when accidentally pressed virtual flight button and TelloFPV entered VR mode. Video goes black and let me blind for an endless minute. Wifi signal was good, up to 70db.

Here some issue screen captures:

Everyting started when I entered Video menu to review settings. When I tried to press the menu exit button I missed button and pressed virtual flight mode, as both buttons are too close in screen.
View attachment 3219

TelloFPV entered VR mode. As you can see video goes black. I was 225 meters far away ! :eek:
View attachment 3220

I exited VR mode but video signal still black. I panic.
View attachment 3221

I went back to the video menu and changed some options without success. More panic :cry:
View attachment 3222

Luckily I remembered flight orientation I tried a scary blind flight for a minute. I returned from 225 meters distance to 110 meters seeing nothing.
View attachment 3223

Just when I made eye contact with Tello and I calm down video signal suddenly came back 100 meters away
View attachment 3225

I will try to reproduce problem to realize if it is a ramdom issue or something more serious.

Meanwhile be aware pressing in-flight VR button accidentally. ;)

All the best.

Raul
-----
Hi Raul,

sounds scary I agree.

I will deactivate the buttons whenever settings are visible. Will be released later today.

Why the video has not returned remains a mystery. I have no idea what could cause this, except very bad reception on your side. Whenever video drops out completely it requires a full Iframe sequence to re-initialize the decoder. 220m is already something but should not cause a complete video dropout with your setup.

At 77% battery there is no reason to panic. Activate speed mode to make sure not wind carries Tello away, and try the RTH button. As long as VPS doesn't fail you should be safe.

As said, the buttons will be inactive from tomorrow on.

Cheers!
V

At 77% battery there is no reason to panic. Activate speed mode to make sure not wind carries Tello away, and try the RTH button. As long as VPS doesn't fail you should be safe.

You are right. Fear didn't let me think clearly ;)

As said, I'll try to reproduce issue and keep you informed.

Raul.

Finally, I´m done with testing off the new app, so I would like to share short report :)

First of all I would like to thank to Volate!lo for this app, five star rating in play store, sure thing.
I really stop my thinking about Zerotech Dobby when I began flying with TelloFPV app.

I´am really grateful that there is no automatic start of recording when some of the flight modes is started.
Official app always stopped my recording when I use some of the flight modes, it makes short clip and then I have full gallery of short clips instead of one long.

I found two issues that I would like to mention.

RTH speed when Tello goes upwards.
Tello upward speed is oscillating somewhere between 0,1 to 0,3 m/s, it seems to me slower than speed in video mode.
When I fly 5m above the ground and set up minimum altitude for RTH to 15m, it takes around 30 sec. to achieve the altitude.
Is there some reason for that speed limitation or can it be increased?

Batery level below 10%.
When the baterry goes below 10% Tello automatically land with no chance to cancel landing or somehow control it, also it´s impossible to take off.
10% of battery is around one minute of flight time, so enought time to get Tello from some distance back to home.
Is that some kind of baterry backup level for safety landing from high altitude or something like that?

So I have to do it manually and on all of videos I´m with a bowed head to the phone instead of smiling to the camera :)
Would it be possible to add to app some kind of adjustment?
It could be for example, set up distance and altitude or just continue fly up and away until press stop button or something like this.

Thank you

Sagvan
Forget the Dobby. I just sold mine, it was the biggest disappointment in drones I have ever owned.

RTH Climbing: I will look into this. The problem is I need to start to ascend slowly, then speed up. Because: Imagine you set RTH altitude to 15m and for get it. The you play indoors, press RTH and Tello shoots straight into the air at full throttle... heppened to me more than once...

Battery level: TelloFpv never initiates and landing except on land button / stick down. Landing on battery level is the sole decision of Tello and not directly tied to a specific battery level in percentage. Tello reports the percentage for humans, but uses more detailed calculations to determine when its time to land.
Yesterday I took off with a 20% battery, and Tello decided to land after five seconds with battery level reported at 15%. A few moments later battery level was 6% with Tello on the ground.
I have also flown down to 6% before autolanding kicked in. Again, only Tello decides on this.

the three flight modes that show up when clicking the "..." button are the original light modes Tello offers. These are controlled by the firmware and TelloFpv has nothing to say about the execution, it merely triggers the execution, and can cancel it. Up & Away is no exception.
I will add a separate autopilot that does a more flexible up & away for longer distances. I can't give a release date , but its pretty high on the todo list.

You are right. Fear didn't let me think clearly ;)

As said, I'll try to reproduce issue and keep you informed.

Raul.
Freaking out because a worn out, crushed & crashed, repaired but still loved cheap toy drone is on the edge of being lost - totally stupid in the grand scheme of things but still...
I know that situation all too well ...

Reactions: raulvolador
I had an issue after switching to fast mode, video signal is lost (fuzzy line on screen) and cannot record any videos, is this a known fault or limitation? As soon as I switch back to normal mode, I get video signal back.
And is there any plans to allow to change default storage location from internal to Sd card on phone?
Currently using galaxy s9 with ps3 controller with otg.

Thanks!
If something happens when switching between video / sportmode then it's likely a problem in Tello's firmware. Because nothing changes in the video feed for Tello, the changes you see (zoming out, and EIS off) all happen in Tello. Can you repeat this in the Tello app?

The change of file storage location is on the list, not as high as up & away but not much lower.

Forget the Dobby. I just sold mine, it was the biggest disappointment in drones I have ever owned.

RTH Climbing: I will look into this. The problem is I need to start to ascend slowly, then speed up. Because: Imagine you set RTH altitude to 15m and for get it. The you play indoors, press RTH and Tello shoots straight into the air at full throttle... heppened to me more than once...

Battery level: TelloFpv never initiates and landing except on land button / stick down. Landing on battery level is the sole decision of Tello and not directly tied to a specific battery level in percentage. Tello reports the percentage for humans, but uses more detailed calculations to determine when its time to land.
Yesterday I took off with a 20% battery, and Tello decided to land after five seconds with battery level reported at 15%. A few moments later battery level was 6% with Tello on the ground.
I have also flown down to 6% before autolanding kicked in. Again, only Tello decides on this.

the three flight modes that show up when clicking the "..." button are the original light modes Tello offers. These are controlled by the firmware and TelloFpv has nothing to say about the execution, it merely triggers the execution, and can cancel it. Up & Away is no exception.
I will add a separate autopilot that does a more flexible up & away for longer distances. I can't give a release date , but its pretty high on the todo list.

Great, thanks a lot (y)
I'll look forward for new releases :)

1.03 fixed T1s stick issues for me, thanks.

I also accidentally hit the FPV button yesterday too, but was aiming for the EV comp button - outside in bright light and couldn't see the screen well. Was hovering at the time, setting up for a photo. In my case, everything back to normal after exiting FPV.

Maybe changing to/from VR mode should be disable inflight to ensure that if problem occur they do so when at the ground ...

Thank you for offering 1.03.
The orientation of the vertical stick of the wired controller(gamesir G3,T1) I am using has returned correctly.
However, the motion of the vertical stick graph of the controller tune menu is opposite.
I think I missed this one: Fixed in next release!

Reactions: hea-kun

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jpothi