Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New app: TelloFPV for Android

Hi! First of all great app! I'll test the final version tomorrow, but for now there is an issue that i would like to share with you guys. I use an honor 8 pro with the tellofpv demo version and the image is alongated, it is stretched up to fit the screen it seems. Has anyone experienced that? I have tello and atello apps and that doesn't happen. Any ideas?! Does it happen in the final version also? Thank you!

Do you think it would be usable on a 1920*1080 432 ppi screen?
Of course. My main development / test device is the S4 which has roughly the same characteristics. Not perfect but good enough.

Hi! First of all great app! I'll test the final version tomorrow, but for now there is an issue that i would like to share with you guys. I use an honor 8 pro with the tellofpv demo version and the image is alongated, it is stretched up to fit the screen it seems. Has anyone experienced that? I have tello and atello apps and that doesn't happen. Any ideas?! Does it happen in the final version also? Thank you!

Its not a but, its a feature. But it seems nobody sees it that way :( . I guess I have to change that in the next release...

Tello sends different video formats depending on the video / speed mode. If that doesn't match the screen aspect ration TelloFpv stretches the image. Other apps chose to display black bars instead.

maybe with the rising popularity of 2:1 displays your video is waaay too stretched when compared to 16:9

Of course. My main development / test device is the S4 which has roughly the same characteristics. Not perfect but good enough.

Its not a but, its a feature. But it seems nobody sees it that way :( . I guess I have to change that in the next release...

Tello sends different video formats depending on the video / speed mode. If that doesn't match the screen aspect ration TelloFpv stretches the image. Other apps chose to display black bars instead.
I found it strange because i'm used to other apps and you are right, other apps display black bars, it only happens in photo mode. I'll try to fly it outdoors and see if it makes any difference to me. Besides that all other features are working great!

I'm one of the lucky ones now flying TelloFpv app on my single lens FPV goggles.

Tello full screen Goggles for VR (Virtual Reality) or FPV (First Person View)

Flight inmersion is GREAT but I realized an incoming problem for @volate!lo future VR update. There is no way mapping your nice Circle or POI Autopilot modes to controller buttons :(

Would it be possible into future versions ?

Thanks a lot
I am aware of this but I'm not yet quite sure how to solve this elegantly. For now low priority.

Reactions: raulvolador

Can you make it a choice in UI easy? Personally I would want whatever is easier to fly FPV with. What happens(will happen) in VR when you change modes?:)

I just found a small issue...

My gamesir T1s D-pad does not work in TelloFPV. It works fine in Gamepad Tester app.

I tried it on two different devices via Bluetooth and OTG - no go on either.

This doesn't really matter to me, just thought you might want to know.

@xcrost Did you decide on a OTG controller yet?

One other quick question for the group here. I use a T1d but I want to switch to OTG for my main controller. I like the feel of it so should I go T1s or what would be better? ...Now that I have all of these choices to make thanks to TelloFPV! Thanks all!

I don't know what would be better, but on OTG the T1s is great. I find control to be smooth and precise, video unaffected. I can fly figure 8's inside a 4' circle.

I would assume, if anything, the T1s using OTG is as good control as the T1d which is fine for me so I would prefer that route because I want the video possible. Am I correct? Thanks!

For me, only the video has problems on BT (without Mi 2 wifi extender) - control is good on BT or OTG...

@xcrost Did you decide on a OTG controller yet?

I don't know what would be better, but on OTG the T1s is great. I find control to be smooth and precise, video unaffected. I can fly figure 8's inside a 4' circle.

For me, only the video has problems on BT (without Mi 2 wifi extender) - control is good on BT or OTG...
Still haven't decided. I have heard the Parrot Flypad is like a different world. Unfortunately there isn't a place here where I can even look at one. I like the way the T1d performs so i guess I wouldn't "miss" the Flypad if I go with the T1s

Reactions: umanbean
I just found a small issue...

My gamesir T1s D-pad does not work in TelloFPV. It works fine in Gamepad Tester app.

I tried it on two different devices via Bluetooth and OTG - no go on either.

This doesn't really matter to me, just thought you might want to know.
Can you test the DPAD in the gamepad tester app linked in post #2 and post the screenshot? That lists the button IDs it sends when pressing the buttons.

Can you test the DPAD in the gamepad tester app linked in post #2 and post the screenshot? That lists the button IDs it sends when pressing the buttons.

Sure, already did a test... screenshot:

IMG_20181228_090143.jpg

The d-pad only shows up as you press the button and hold it, I couldn't press a button and take the picture at the same time... but it works on all four axis in the GamePad tester app.

edit to add: The values shown when pressed are all either 1.0 or -1.0

Last edited:
Reactions: volate!lo
Still haven't decided. I have heard the Parrot Flypad is like a different world. Unfortunately there isn't a place here where I can even look at one. I like the way the T1d performs so i guess I wouldn't "miss" the Flypad if I go with the T1s
CHeck if you can get a dead cheap Flypad & Swing combo on ebay. Sell the Swing and the Flypad stays with you for free. Then you just need to see how bad the video is affected, this seems to depend a bit on the phone model & maybe the range extender also

Reactions: zesteves
Sure, already did a test... screenshot:

View attachment 2410

The d-pad only shows up as you press the button and hold it, I couldn't press a button and take the picture at the same time... but it works on all four axis in the GamePad tester app.

edit to add: The values shown when pressed are all either 1.0 or -1.0
Thanks, that helps. The D-Pad is not triggering a button press event like in other gamepads I tested but changes the HAT axes instead.
I need to look how to get this working, maybe I can make the Flysky to work as well. That one has wrong axis mappings, too..

BTW: Once it works the Flysky looks like another contender for a much better controller. Its a real RC controller with a USB OTG connection and not too expensive, starting around 35 Euro.

Reactions: spamaro
CHeck if you can get a dead cheap Flypad & Swing combo on ebay. Sell the Swing and the Flypad stays with you for free. Then you just need to see how bad the video is affected, this seems to depend a bit on the phone model & maybe the range extender also
Awesome idea! Thanks! With that said, I think I will get both. :) I am a seller on Ebay so it will be easy peasy ;)

Thanks, that helps. The D-Pad is not triggering a button press event like in other gamepads I tested but changes the HAT axes instead.
I need to look how to get this working, maybe I can make the Flysky to work as well. That one has wrong axis mappings, too..

BTW: Once it works the Flysky looks like another contender for a much better controller. Its a real RC controller with a USB OTG connection and not too expensive, starting around 35 Euro.
Any thoughts on a Jumper T8SG? Would it even work? I know nothing about controllers but I am learning a lot. Thanks guys!

Any thoughts on a Jumper T8SG? Would it even work? I know nothing about controllers but I am learning a lot. Thanks guys!
Yes: Its ugly!
Beside that: If it identifies itself to Android, and the main sticks are reported as X + Y +Z + RZ then it should work out of the box with some mapping. If its like the Flysky it reports some axes in a non-standard way.

I still haven't made up my mind if/how to support these non standard sticks.

Yes: Its ugly!
Beside that: If it identifies itself to Android, and the main sticks are reported as X + Y +Z + RZ then it should work out of the box with some mapping. If its like the Flysky it reports some axes in a non-standard way.

I still haven't made up my mind if/how to support these non standard sticks.
Thanks for the input! Agreed it is ugly and big lol...Sounds like T1S and/or Flypad is the choice for me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccer843