Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New app: TelloFPV for Android

I bought a generic bluetooth controller today and (unlike the official app) TelloFPV worked fine with it. There's significant lag but I guess that's natural. One thing I did notice is that I cannot tune it! No matter what I do, tuning doesn't work! WHen I tune the onscreen controller the changes are way noticeable. BUt with the bluetooth controller, nothing. I even set the deadzone to the maximum which should be noticeable but it behaves exactly the same. I need this because Yaw is WAY too agressive with the BT controller. Is this a known bug? Does it not work with generic gamepads?

I bought a generic bluetooth controller today and (unlike the official app) TelloFPV worked fine with it. There's significant lag but I guess that's natural. One thing I did notice is that I cannot tune it! No matter what I do, tuning doesn't work! WHen I tune the onscreen controller the changes are way noticeable. BUt with the bluetooth controller, nothing. I even set the deadzone to the maximum which should be noticeable but it behaves exactly the same. I need this because Yaw is WAY too agressive with the BT controller. Is this a known bug? Does it not work with generic gamepads?

There should not be noticeable lag unless the BT controller itself creates lag. Maybe test with a gamepad?
And the best test I found is to put Tello into sport mode, hover at least 2m high and then use Yaw left / right. Many other situations / command cause Tello to filter the input and do whatever it wants (so it just doesn't provide reliable information on lag of controller or software).

I will look into the tuning problem tomorrow. If there is a bug it will make it into tomorrow's release.
I initially planned one for today but I managed to kill one of my drones with IMU error. That allows me to include checks for these errors, which I could not before (because my drones were all working fine).

Reactions: nahuel
There should not be noticeable lag unless the BT controller itself creates lag. Maybe test with a gamepad?
And the best test I found is to put Tello into sport mode, hover at least 2m high and then use Yaw left / right. Many other situations / command cause Tello to filter the input and do whatever it wants (so it just doesn't provide reliable information on lag of controller or software).

I will look into the tuning problem tomorrow. If there is a bug it will make it into tomorrow's release.
I initially planned one for today but I managed to kill one of my drones with IMU error. That allows me to include checks for these errors, which I could not before (because my drones were all working fine).

I linked to this post, just to state my lazyness, for asking if You was so kind to post your personal Flypad mapping buttons; obviously if no prob at all, only :)

Then, few days ago I've been considered that one, a weird beahviour, as a casuality, then this morning, with two immediately replied tests, I can say, the Tello ( mine at least..), flying below/at 15/13% battery lasted, it's not responsive.
I mean, it's missing altitude, then remains a bit of yawn and throttle ability, but that's all.Roll and pinch very quieted or absent.
Probably it's a correct behaviour I didn't know.

I linked to this post, just to state my lazyness, for asking if You was so kind to post your personal Flypad mapping buttons; obviously if no prob at all, only :)

Then, few days ago I've been considered that one, a weird beahviour, as a casuality, then this morning, with two immediately replied tests, I can say, the Tello ( mine at least..), flying below/at 15/13% battery lasted, it's not responsive.
I mean, it's missing altitude, then remains a bit of yawn and throttle ability, but that's all.Roll and pinch very quieted or absent.
Probably it's a correct behaviour I didn't know.
My button mapping is what you get when you clear the controller settings. The pre-configured mapping is what I use (OK, a few buttons change from time to time due to testing)

To your problem. Thats what happens when Tello is flying low (or thinks it flies low, see altitude reading). Tello just becomes sluggish on roll and pitch. Maybe it also happens with low battery, never tested this.
This is not a function of TelloFpv but controlled by Tello Firmware.

@volate!lo

I downloaded telloFPV v0.94 and performed a test flight.

I SUFFERED A SERIUOUS ISSUE, TELLO WIFI CONNECTION LOST IN-FLIGHT

See here:

tellofpv v094 wifi disconnection.jpg

I totally lost control. PANIC MOMENTS. Happily Tello stays hovering in place and I had enought time for quickly exit telloFVP and reconnected to tello's wifi.

tellofpv v094 wifi disconnection icon.jpg

At the moment of the problem multiple events occurred simultaneously: Photo download failed, Wifi interference and battery Low reached.

I'm sending you a private message with more data and a complete flight recording for your review.

Please, check if it is a bug of the v0.94 version or another kind of problem.

I can help you everthing you need.

All the best.

To all who requested IMU calibration:
I revised my approach and I will _not_ make IMU calibration available in TelloFpv. Not now and not in a future release. So you will have to keep the Ryze Tello app around, even if its just for calibration.

I took a look at the process, how it's implemented, what data the app and Tello exchange and this is just fragile and sucks. I did it three times with different results.
I managed to wreck a nicely flying Tello just by doing a calibration, it now constantly gives IMU error.

I am not going to add functions that can potentially render a Tello useless. I am not prepared for the service requests that could follow, let alone the negative reviews.

@volate!lo

I downloaded telloFPV v0.94 and performed a test flight.

I SUFFERED A SERIUOUS ISSUE, TELLO WIFI CONNECTION LOST IN-FLIGHT

See here:

View attachment 2483

I totally lost control. PANIC MOMENTS. Happily Tello stays hovering in place and I had enought time for quickly exit telloFVP and reconnected to tello's wifi.

View attachment 2484

At the moment of the problem multiple events occurred simultaneously: Photo download failed, Wifi interference and battery Low reached.

I'm sending you a private message with more data and a complete flight recording for your review.

Please, check if it is a bug of the v0.94 version or another kind of problem.

I can help you everthing you need.

All the best.

Hi there,

glad you saved your Tello. I will look into this but most likely I won't be able to do anything about it:

Wifi disconnects (at the operating system level) are not something that TelloFpv can cause, trigger, handle, or repair.

As you can see in the second screenshot Wifi is really disconnected at the Android operating system level. Its not TelloFpv loosing connection at the application protocol level but Android loosing connection at the lower networking levels.

TelloFpv does not manipulate the Wifi in any way. It does not change from one wifi to another or anything else. It just uses the wifi connection that you manually established before launching TelloFpv.
I intentionally left out all functionality that handles Wifi state, like the re-association function offered by aTelloPilot. Too many things can go wrong there, and it seems that every vendor handles certain aspects differently (like notifications and re-associations if a wifi has no internet) so I just left it out..

If Android drops the wifi there must be some other reason. I have experienced this a few times regardless of the control application used. In some conditions aTelloPilot could re-connect but mostly not. I never figured out what triggered this so I just accept it.

So please send me the details, but don't expect wonders.

Reactions: raulvolador
hello friends, I'm Ronaldo from Brazil. I did the fpv test, it satisfied me a lot. I would like to post the experience I had here with you. I hope as soon as possible to buy it, here in Brazil it's kinda complicated any more buying action. of everything I tested was the best and most complete program

Hey Ronaldo, I sent you a direct conversation. Have you received it?

Hi,
first things first - this is a great app! ????

Unfortunately the video mode gives me heavy stuttering & lots of artefacts in all modes above 1mbit/s upwards. I fiddled heavily with the settings, but no change even switching off the usual suspects. Video in ATello pilot works in comparison. Setup SAM S5 Xbox360 via USB.

thx in advance

-mike

Hi,
first things first - this is a great app! ????

Unfortunately the video mode gives me heavy stuttering & lots of artefacts in all modes above 1mbit/s upwards. I fiddled heavily with the settings, but no change even switching off the usual suspects. Video in ATello pilot works in comparison. Setup SAM S5 Xbox360 via USB.

thx in advance

-mike
Hi there,

the S5 is certainly capable enough to run smooth video. I mostly use a S4 for testing.
The settings are really only for fine tuning, if the stream is completely garbage then they won't help much.

Do you have the phone's Bluetooth switched off?
Is the phone running a stock rom or custom rom? rooted?

To all who requested IMU calibration:
I revised my approach and I will _not_ make IMU calibration available in TelloFpv. Not now and not in a future release. So you will have to keep the Ryze Tello app around, even if its just for calibration.

I took a look at the process, how it's implemented, what data the app and Tello exchange and this is just fragile and sucks. I did it three times with different results.
I managed to wreck a nicely flying Tello just by doing a calibration, it now constantly gives IMU error.

I am not going to add functions that can potentially render a Tello useless. I am not prepared for the service requests that could follow, let alone the negative reviews.
you don't have to do IMU calibration often, but tehre are many usecases when you have to preform gravity calibration. I think gravity calibration is much more needed than IMU in your app.

Helly @volate!lo

Here's a feature request for your consideration :p I noticed that in every single flight with TelloFPV I noticed that the battery was low way too late. It would be really cool to have sound alerts (nothing too intrusive, but maybe beeps for important notifications? or spoken alerts, like the DJI apps?). Anyway, something that would make us distracted people pay attention XD

Reactions: volate!lo
Not really excited about boxed. TelloFpv uses the holo green information text only for stuff that typically stays on screen for some time (VPS off, battery low, wifi low) and personally I don't like the view being blocked by some boxed informations. most of them aren't critically important, except battery of course but even that depends on your battery threshold setting.

Boxed notifications are only used for short notifications, something that is displayed for short periods like "Photo download finished" or "Autopilot deactivated"

Please try orange for the notifications. Has a good contrast with green (grass, trees, etc.) and grey (roads, buildings...).
In the future... (if you agree...) different sounds (beeps) will be very usefull warnings, as you don´t need to change what are doing... (I´m most interested in making videos...)

Hey @volate!lo !
Another wish for your wish list...
¿Have you evaluated to create an AP function that makes Tello to take 5/9 pictures, that allows us to create an panoramic image, stiching them with some 3rd party program?
Thanks again for your grate job, grate app and the best support!!!
Regards
Gabriel

Reactions: nahuel
yes, a 360 panorama is on the todo list, I hope including stitch. Plus many other modes:
Horizontal panorama (tello travels sideways and makes a panorama of a long building , group of people, etc)
Vertical panorama (tello travel upwards and makes a vertical panorama of a tall building, a tree, a tower, etc)
Selfie timer, burst mode, etc.

I am not sure about the stitching as I would need to include a large library to do this. Maybe We will just group the photos by a special name for easier external stitching

Problem is the list keeps growing :cautious: which indicates I'm too slow

yes, a 360 panorama is on the todo list, I hope including stitch. Plus many other modes:
Horizontal panorama (tello travels sideways and makes a panorama of a long building , group of people, etc)
Vertical panorama (tello travel upwards and makes a vertical panorama of a tall building, a tree, a tower, etc)
Selfie timer, burst mode, etc.

I am not sure about the stitching as I would need to include a large library to do this. Maybe We will just group the photos by a special name for easier external stitching

Problem is the list keeps growing :cautious: which indicates I'm too slow

I´m really enjoing your app as is now.
I have a lot of tests and videos to do, and having fun, already!
I prefer you take your time to create reliable functionality, than quick coding that make me a beta tester!!!

i also enjoy your app as is... plenty of features
dont run too fast volate!lo or ull get tired ;)

im still trying to figure out why i cant get further than 50 meters away with wifi extender and have bad video

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

First Day Sunlight. Out with my Tello.
So most things works cool, but:
The Video brightness is not fix? I had always dark and bright Pictures. Do I miss a Configuration?

Range with repeater is 70m. After that Stream Breaks.

Poi and Circle me works Perfect, Rth too.

Ts1 was found in tellofpv, but only After Restart I could choose it as Pilot.

The recorded videoquality isnt the best anymore. Ok, yes, no dropped Frames, but The Quality is a bit washed, Not that sharp as before.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccer843