Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New app: TelloFPV for Android

Hi,
I'm on V0.98 beta Sam S5 stock rom, no root.

- got the the error code 'top bit not zero: -4 or some figure' on playing some of tello's recorded videos. All these recordings happend to be started & stopped regularly, they seemed to be broken though.

- starting the engines by moving the sticks of my otg xbox360 controller doesn't work reliably - some time it works, some time it won't. Usually for the first start after connect it works.

thx

-mike

Last edited:
When using controller d-pad exposure control "auto" is 10 I assume? The scale is 0-20? :)

Hi,
I'm on V0.98 beta Sam S5 stock rom, no root.

- got the the error code 'top bit not zero: -4 or some figure' on playing some of tello's recorded videos. All these recordings happend to be started & stopped regularly, they seemed to be broken though.

- starting the engines by moving the sticks of my otg xbox360 controller doesn't work reliably - some time it works, some time it won't. Usually for the first start after connect it works.
Can you send me some of these recordings via WeShare or something?

As for CC failing this has so far always been an issue of the controller. There are good controllers that generate 100% sick output even in the corners, and then there are controllers that can't. TelloFPV is very generous and considers 65% stick output to be enough for csc motor start. Check your controller output using a gamepad test app. If your controller can't do that reliably you have to use automatic take off or get a better controller

Can you send me some of these recordings via WeShare or something?

As for CC failing this has so far always been an issue of the controller. There are good controllers that generate 100% sick output even in the corners, and then there are controllers that can't. TelloFPV is very generous and considers 65% stick output to be enough for csc motor start. Check your controller output using a gamepad test app. If your controller can't do that reliably you have to use automatic take off or get a better controller
My T1d is picky also but I can always get it to work w/ a few tries

This is how it looked before moving the range extender and photos would fail. You can see there was a bit of wash on the screen due to wifi interference.
View attachment 2651

This is the final product after moving the extender:
View attachment 2652

I'm not sure if that one was the one from 30m, so uploading the rest.
View attachment 2653View attachment 2654
Do you place the extender on/near the ground? I have a 10ft. high pole I have attached mine to. However, I still get the best wifi signal with the extender in my front pocket with the lights facing out toward the drone. The drawback is it trashes the video and I have even lost connection before even though the drone is not too far away :(...... Bottom line a OTG controller must be the long term answer I guess.

I usually fly in my condo's basketball court. I place my extender on top of the player's benches, which is around 2 - 2.5 feet high. As @volate!lo stated before, keep your range extender a bit away from you. Earlier today while I was testing .98, I was flying around 95-99 feet and the extender was right next to my tablet, suddenly my screen said "lost connection to Tello" and it would not respond to my control inputs. You know that cold sweat you get as you know tragedy is about to happen? Well needless to say, I moved the extender around and finally got signal back. Luckily my Tello stayed in place and once connected, it responded well again.

I usually stay within 20-30 feet. I believe going higher is pointless and you are inviting disaster. That being said, since I don't have a vast space to fly my Tello and do some test, my other option is going up.
I am fortunate to have unlimited room outside. So I tend to push Tello to the limit constantly:) I guess I like living on the edge. :) I have only lost 1 Tello so far due to a combo of things...It was new & my first drone, I was flying in high winds in low light about 60 ft. up and when I lost control/video connection briefly & simultaneously losing VPS ground lock because I was going very fast ... I panicked!... as I watched Tello fly away into the sunset. Looking at the recording later Tello had actually regained video signal for a couple of seconds before complete signal loss. I can tell from these frames that VPS had kicked in and actually stopped tello from flying away any further. I know its rough location about 1600ft. away but I have yet to find it (tall grass etc.) So about 10 or so dumb mistakes combined. Live and learn ;)

Reactions: Ansia
I am fortunate to have unlimited room outside. So I tend to push Tello to the limit constantly:) I guess I like living on the edge. :) I have only lost 1 Tello so far due to a combo of things...It was new & my first drone, I was flying in high winds in low light about 60 ft. up and when I lost control/video connection briefly & simultaneously losing VPS ground lock because I was going very fast ... I panicked!... as I watched Tello fly away into the sunset. Looking at the recording later Tello had actually regained video signal for a couple of seconds before complete signal loss. I can tell from these frames that VPS had kicked in and actually stopped tello from flying away any further. I know its rough location about 1600ft. away but I have yet to find it (tall grass etc.) So about 10 or so dumb mistakes combined. Live and learn ;)
No no no, not with my Sweet little Tello.
I love Tello too much to lost her. Its cool to know she could fly in far Distance, but I Never Risk a Crash or fly Away. If, I would Search her as long I will find her.
Last Week I ordered new Motors for my Sweety. And than she ja ready to VR!!!

WHEN EVER YOU ARE READY TelloFPV ????

Reactions: xcrost
No no no, not with my Sweet little Tello.
I love Tello too much to lost her. Its cool to know she could fly in far Distance, but I Never Risk a Crash or fly Away. If, I would Search her as long I will find her.
Last Week I ordered new Motors for my Sweety. And than she ja ready to VR!!!

WHEN EVER YOU ARE READY TelloFPV ????
I installed new motors recently on my poor sweetie(I do abuse her) Fresh props and new motors fixed a lot of my weird flight behavior issues. :)Good luck with the replacement (if its your first time). Hardest things for me were scraping the silicone off of the contacts and soldering just because they are so small. I am not a pro and it's easy to make a mess if not careful. PLease don't add the little connector plugs or use tape like I have seen in videos.:( It will make your sweetie look ugly :)

Glitch? Thank you volatello for changing the scale of the sliders! I set my batt. alert to 13% and it worked perfectly the first couple flights. Last 2 flights the alarm did not sound until 11% one flight and 9% on the other???? I will keep testing.

I installed new motors recently on my poor sweetie(I do abuse her) Fresh props and new motors fixed a lot of my weird flight behavior issues. :)Good luck with the replacement (if its your first time). Hardest things for me were scraping the silicone off of the contacts and soldering just because they are so small. I am not a pro and it's easy to make a mess if not careful. PLease don't add the little connector plugs or use tape like I have seen in videos.:( It will make your sweetie look ugly :)
I think I will do it in this Way:
I'm not Handy enough for soldering so small peaces.
So you know a better Way to replace Motors??

I think I will do it in this Way:
I'm not Handy enough for soldering so small peaces.
So you know a better Way to replace Motors??
I do not know of a better way without soldering. Maybe you have a friend? My Tello looks original with wires running where they were before and no connectors or splices. You can see in the pic I chose to run the wires with the colored wire showing.20190112_171937.jpg20190112_171955.jpg

Glitch? Thank you volatello for changing the scale of the sliders! I set my batt. alert to 13% and it worked perfectly the first couple flights. Last 2 flights the alarm did not sound until 11% one flight and 9% on the other???? I will keep testing.
Tello sends battery reports every couple of seconds. Battery % reported by Tello is not exact but based on minimum sensed voltage I guess. For example you can sometimes hover for 20s with no change in the battery reading, then you give a little throttle up and lose 5% in a second.

Tello sends battery reports every couple of seconds. Battery % reported by Tello is not exact but based on minimum sensed voltage I guess. For example you can sometimes hover for 20s with no change in the battery reading, then you give a little throttle up and lose 5% in a second.
Yes, this dawned on me just after my post :)thanks V! Thanks to "throttle up cxl's auto landing" it is no longer a huge issue;) I was able to fly to 6%

I consider it interesting to improve the automatic mode of flight of Tello: to get away and to get up choosing the pilot the meters and that returns or not to the place of beginning.

Last edited:
Hi, A little thing I noticed in the beta 0.98. In the Video menu, an individual value is not stored but specified at restart at bit rate 3MBbps. Or is that intended? Thanks and Greetings flug1000

Addendum: Stop back; The thing works now - after cleaning up the memory!

Last edited:
Hi,

Here my test results on v0.98 beta.

Flight behaviour is good. Controller and autopilots ok. Image quality ok.

Issues detected:

A new weird message "not receiving position data" It's a bit annoying, but I can live with it :confused:

not receving position.jpg

Exposure change using controller gives extrange readings, from one to twenty. It's supposed 9 or ten is auto value.

exposure 9.jpg

Photo mode improved, but still buggy. Extended twenty seconds timer works good many times, but sometimes it's still too small. See here:

phtoto timer.jpg

When timer expires download percentage is 72% and still growing. My suggestion is an smart timer: You have to monitorize percentage of download, when percentage stops growing that means photo hangs and it's time to cancel download.

I´ll send you a private message containing a full flight video taking many pictures for better understanding.

Keep doing so good work, @volate!lo

All the best.

Reactions: Flydrone and xcrost
Thanks for testing
#1 strange message. I noticed that Tello sometimes (no clue why) does not send position data. I will change that behaviour
#2 fixed in next release
#3 fixed in next release

Thanks for the offer but I don't need the video.

Cheers!!

Hi,

Here my test results on v0.98 beta.

Flight behaviour is good. Controller and autopilots ok. Image quality ok.

Issues detected:

A new weird message "not receiving position data" It's a bit annoying, but I can live with it :confused:

View attachment 2688

Exposure change using controller gives extrange readings, from one to twenty. It's supposed 9 or ten is auto value.

View attachment 2689

Photo mode improved, but still buggy. Extended twenty seconds timer works good many times, but sometimes it's still too small. See here:

View attachment 2690

When timer expires download percentage is 72% and still growing. My suggestion is an smart timer: You have to monitorize percentage of download, when percentage stops growing that means photo hangs and it's time to cancel download.

I´ll send you a private message containing a full flight video taking many pictures for better understanding.

Keep doing so good work, @volate!lo

All the best.
I can live with the first 2 also. These are just small tweaks. How is VR going?? lol ...concentrate concentrate

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv