Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New app: TelloFPV for Android

Thanks for testing
#1 strange message. I noticed that Tello sometimes (no clue why) does not send position data. I will change that behaviour
#2 fixed in next release
#3 fixed in next release

Thanks for the offer but I don't need the video.

Cheers!!
Dang you're fast!

Hi there, my first post..wuhuu..

So i read the first 6 pages and the last 10 pages but didnt find the answer.
So apologies if this is asked before.

Is there anyway to use an "real" rc transmitter so the control accuracy and range would be better? Before these user made apps it was said that the controls are different between tello/bt controller and a rc transmitter, but is it possible to interpret the commands so that Tello would understand them?

Kind Regards from snowy Finland???

Is there anyway to use an "real" rc transmitter so the control accuracy and range would be better? Before these user made apps it was said that the controls are different between tello/bt controller and a rc transmitter, but is it possible to interpret the commands so that Tello would understand them?

Unfortunately no. Some people here have gotten amazing ranges using home-made reflectors ("windsurfer antennas"): WIFI reflector for improving Tello range but the Tello can only be controlled via WiFi.

Reactions: xcrost
Thanks for testing
#1 strange message. I noticed that Tello sometimes (no clue why) does not send position data. I will change that behaviour
#2 fixed in next release
#3 fixed in next release

Thanks for the offer but I don't need the video.

Cheers!!

Amazing !

You are very quick fixing bugs ;)

This forum is great. I never thought that the little Tello was going to provide me with so much fun.

all the best.

Is there anyway to use an "real" rc transmitter so the control accuracy and range would be better?

I believe the low range is only partially depends on wifi power of controller, the main reason is weak transmitter and/or small antenna inside the Tello itself. The controller may be capable of sending strong wifi signal to the drone, but what's the sense if the drone isn't capable of returning equally strong signal? Obviously it's done by manufacturer to separate Tello from more expensive drones, like Spark.
If only someone try to install bigger and more sensitive wifi antenna (e.g. from laptop) in the Tello body, - there is plenty of room there for it... Probably we'll then see 1km range.

Last edited:
I believe the low range is only partially depends on wifi power of controller, the main reason is weak transmitter and/or small antenna inside the Tello itself. The controller may be capable to send strong signal to the drone, but what's the sense if the drone isn't capable to return equally strong signal? Obviously it's done by manufacturer to separate Tello from more expensive drones, like Spark.
If only someone try to install bigger and more sensitive wifi antenna (e.g. from laptop) in the Tello body, - there is plenty of room there for it... Probably we'll then see 1km range.

The amazing people on this forum are working on it:)
Tello PCB and antenna reference, to help fellow crazy modders ;)

Reactions: mcsound

TelloFpv will get a revamp of all controller code, then it will support the Flysky controllers which are a new level in terms of precision. For range & better video quality you need a wifi extender.

Reactions: spamaro and xcrost
just uploaded a build for Raul's problems.
I'm running out of pre-1.00 version numbers so this one is now 0.98x :)

Beside the fixes only one small feature:
* New Option: RTH can automatically descend at end of RTH (down to 1.5m)

As for progress on VR, not much unfortunately. I had a couple of other priorities, unfortunately. Starting tomorrow I'l have more time for this.

Hello ,
I'd like to greeting everyone . This is my first post on this forum . I have Tello drone and now I w'll test this application but as I have read it's more powerful and has more features than original Tello application . W'll see ;) . Best regards Marcin

Reactions: volate!lo
I'm running out of pre-1.00 version numbers so this one is now 0.98x :)

Well, I remember history of one program I use. There were versions 0.9, 0.9x, 0.99RC, 0.99RC1, 099RC2... for two years, and then changelog for 1.0 stated "almost completely rewritten". "Hey, the main version number has changed, you users should have anticipated big changes", the author said.

Reactions: volate!lo
Well, I remember history of one program I use. There were versions 0.9, 0.9x, 0.99RC, 0.99RC1, 099RC2... for two years, and then changelog for 1.0 stated "almost completely rewritten". "Hey, the main version number has changed, you users should have anticipated big changes", the author said.
:LOL::ROFLMAO:
In this case V1.0 is reserved for the VR release.

Talking about video quality...

I knows @volate!lo recomends using a 5 seconds iFrame interval, but... I disagree with him... ;) (please, don't be angry)

When using that setting I have been experienced image corruption for long periods of about 5 seconds. That's a LONG time when flying far and it makes you sweat.

TelloFPV corrupted image improves a lot when I lowered iFrame interval. Nowadays my iFrame setting is 1 iFrame per second. Image corruption is negligible and I have not noticed any side effects.

tellofvp.jpg

Even I realized something curious into aTello app by @Krag. He allowed even smaller iFrame intervals, like 10 iFrames per second (don't get confuse with iframe interval 10 seconds). See here:

atello.jpg

aTello 0.9 [Android]

What is your opinion ?

Let me invite you to make different adjust until finding your favorite iFrame value.

All the best.

raul

Last edited:
I see that TelloFpV is getting better and better! As a tello pilot, I am very happy with this!
Too bad that these days I can not fly with the little drone and try once again your magnificent app. but I see that there are a lot of people flying just to test and help in improving telloFpV.(y)
greetings from Italy.:)

Talking about video quality...

I knows @volate!lo recomends using a 5 seconds iFrame interval, but... I disagree with him... ;) (please, don't be angry)

When using that setting I have been experienced image corruption for long periods of about 5 seconds. That's a LONG time when flying far and it makes you sweat.

TelloFPV corrupted image improves a lot when I lowered iFrame interval. Nowadays my iFrame setting is 1 iFrame per second. Image corruption is negligible and I have not noticed any side effects.

Even I realized something curious into aTello app by @Krag. He allowed even smaller iFrame intervals, like 10 iFrames per second (don't confuse with iframe interval 10 secons). See here:

aTello 0.9 [Android]

What is your opinion ?

Let me invite you to make different adjust until finding your favorite iFrame value.

All the best.

raul

It depends what you want to do:
The 5 sec is a recommendation for those looking to get decent video over a reasonably stable wifi link. Its a trade off.
Those pushing the limits should go for short IFrame period and lower bitrate. The further out, the lower the bitrate and iframe period.

Video quality (details like gras!) will suffer badly, but you are looking for a stable video stream and not video quality.

Consequently everyone should play with the settings to find what gives the best results for the particular use case.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philipp.weisser@ksehingen