Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New app: TelloFPV for Android

Just want to say the level of user support you provide is enormous :) Thank you.

I love to work with people who have an idea what they are actually doing so I don't have to discuss basics like "how to enable wifi after flight mode". And for those I go the extra mile to make them happy.

Plus I can understand your position regarding google play. I am constantly amazed about the level of detail data I see about my userbase. All I see is aggregated anonymous data but to create this aggregation google gathers all the individual's details. Orwell's 1984 was a nice joke compared to what Google does.

For me this data is totally useless. Who would have guessed that my customers are 99% male and age 20+, like technical gadgets, have a decent phone, do online shopping for electronics...
Maybe I should make the UI pink and add some selfie timer with beauty filter to attract more female users. Or a duck-face detector to trigger the selfie. Ooops, maybe that wasn't PC

Reactions: xcrost and mcsound
But it does tell me that we are improving on the gender rates: 2.6% females now!
Up from under 1% last week

Reactions: zesteves
So now you have around 26 women vs 974 men? Got it.
Almost right. Google play store is a bit slow to update but TelloFpv passed 1000 downloads earlier today. Now multiply this by 2,90 Euro net income per license, divide it by roughly 600hrs that went into this so far and I would be better off if I was a dishwasher.
Certainly not complaining, its way more fun than being a dishwasher! Plus I consider it a paid hobby, not my job. If this were a job I'd be nuts.

I am in a similar situation here. :(

Was the first person to leave feedback on the app on google play. (a google user)

used my old rca 11 inch tablet to buy this app and transfer it to my recently bought samsung galaxy s5 so i can fly the tello and fit it into the t1s controller. And i will not use that phone online ever. for any reason. (especialy any GOOGLE related) It is just for the tello. That is why i bought it on ebay, and that is why i bought the app.

I understand if that is what you have to do, But i just can not or will not use any internet at all for my samsung s5. Google and the internet just completely screws up your device so much, that like "briest", My tablet sits on a shelf next to my drones and never gets used unless i want to buy anything from google play. riddled with problems and headaches from google play and the internet in general.

Here is the proof of course that i bought the app and would be happy if their is also something that can be done in my case as well. If not, i understand, I will just have go back and to stay at the (0.97) for my samsung s5.

But i also wanted to say a HUGE THANK YOU for making this drone 500% better than than app hat i ever used. And i have used them all.

As said I will build a function to manually add a permanent license for cases like yours. Will be ready before the grace period is over, and will also work for future updates. No worries!

Last edited:
Reactions: TelloPilot2019
I appreciate your very wonderful work.
I hope that tello will automatically connect to wifi when registering tello in advance and launching the application.
Now I'm doing it with other applications.
Could you put this proposal in your to do list?

I appreciate your very wonderful work.
I hope that tello will automatically connect to wifi when registering tello in advance and launching the application.
Now I'm doing it with other applications.
Could you put this proposal in your to do list?

The reason I haven't implement this is that there are several ways to do this, and none ultimately works for the majority of devices. I'd be coding like "If this is android 5.0 then do this, if its 5.1 then do that, if its 6 then try the following..., uhh unless its a Redmi note then do XYZ but only up to 8.1"
I have been to long in this business to start this kind of spaghetti code.

The same is true for those devices that will not work without cellular internet switched off (i.e. airplane mode).

So, its on hold for now.I may revisit these issues later, but with low priority.

Just had 2 back to back absolutely flawless flights with Tello FPV. Tello was cutting through 24 mph gusts like butter and confidence was high! No glitches during start-up or battery change. No frozen video issues. Perfect! :)...and yes BT is OFF maybe I'm lucky

Reactions: Ansia
@[B]volate!lo[/B] this app is awesome thank you so much for all your hard work. Besides having a great time flying. I sometimes use it to take pictures for Line of site communications. To this end it would be great if you could have an option to add some information to the picture like height.

I't bugs me that there aren't more reviews of your app online. I'm sure everyone who sees what this can do would get it if they had a tello.

What happens with the onscreen joysticks / if the controller switches off? Can you use them? You should set external controller to "student" so onscreen can override your controller anytime. If you autohide them no problem, they will show up anytime when you touch them.

Yes, I have them on auto-hide (love that feature!)

When I touched the screen during a disconnect, from what I remember (it's all split second stuff), the on-screen controllers showed up (video also still going), but any input was ignored.

I did change the settings so that the phone is the master and the Gamesir is in student mode. I originally had it the other way around (no idea why I had it setup that way, I guess I didn't pay much attention to it, since the devices are hardwired via OTG cable). Not sure that made a difference... have to fly again until it disconnects again seemingly at random.

I agree its very bad that Tello continues on its path, but I have no way of knowing that T1s has turned off / disconnected until Android announces that the InputDevice XY is gone (which happens with a long delay, I haven't checked with T1s but I would expect 30s).
I could add a timer based check to see if the sticks have been moved over the last 5seconds, and if not just hover. But that would interfere with normal operations for all users going a straight line.
To verify this: Can you do as Raul suggested and test a few times with the gamepad tester app? If there is only one disconnect from that service it's a clear indicator that the T1s triggers this and that there is nothing I can do about it.

Yes, tried that using Gamepad Tester. Couldn't detect anything. Worked like a charm. I did notice, however, that my sticks can't reach all the corners, which explains why I have such a hard time to start the engines manually using the left stick in the lower right corner (where I can't reach) and right stick in lower left. I'm sure there's a way to fix that somehow...

Screenshot.jpg

Right now I don't think that these issues are related, due to the way onscreen and external controller are handled. You had a "disconnect" of the onscreen joysticks, which are handled differently.
I am looking into this today.

It's some sort of disconnect, that's for sure. If it were just the disconnect, that'd be one thing, but that it continues to fly on the last command received, that's just plain weird and doesn't make sense... The Tello should just stop and hover due to lack of instructions, no?

I tried all sorts of things suggested here and in the linked URLs, but nothing solid so far.
It happened again today in the few minutes if l flew it around inside. It's so darn intermittent and I simply can't get to reproduce the problem, which is the frustrating part and very time consuming. I'll try to run a screen video, but of course when it happens I forgot to turn it on first.

I wish I had more time to go into more detailed testing, but I wanted to get me response out before too long...

Anyway, want to shout out a huge thanks for all the help that's been provided!

@[B]volate!lo[/B] this app is awesome thank you so much for all your hard work. Besides having a great time flying. I sometimes use it to take pictures for Line of site communications. To this end it would be great if you could have an option to add some information to the picture like height.

I't bugs me that there aren't more reviews of your app online. I'm sure everyone who sees what this can do would get it if they had a tello.

The altitude on the photo is a very special requirement that very very few people have, so I'm afraid it won't make it to the feature list. Maybe I can add EXIF metadata for altitude.

The only review I have seen so far is this one:

I have tried to bug a few channels to do a review, but they would not even get back to me. Maybe Tello is already old tech for them.

The only thing that could trigger channel owners to do a review is adding comments to their videos. But even then I doubt many of them review comments to older videos like the Tello ones.

Reactions: Flydrone
Yes, I have them on auto-hide (love that feature!)

When I touched the screen during a disconnect, from what I remember (it's all split second stuff), the on-screen controllers showed up (video also still going), but any input was ignored.

I did change the settings so that the phone is the master and the Gamesir is in student mode. I originally had it the other way around (no idea why I had it setup that way, I guess I didn't pay much attention to it, since the devices are hardwired via OTG cable). Not sure that made a difference... have to fly again until it disconnects again seemingly at random.

Yes, tried that using Gamepad Tester. Couldn't detect anything. Worked like a charm. I did notice, however, that my sticks can't reach all the corners, which explains why I have such a hard time to start the engines manually using the left stick in the lower right corner (where I can't reach) and right stick in lower left. I'm sure there's a way to fix that somehow...

View attachment 2750

It's some sort of disconnect, that's for sure. If it were just the disconnect, that'd be one thing, but that it continues to fly on the last command received, that's just plain weird and doesn't make sense... The Tello should just stop and hover due to lack of instructions, no?

I tried all sorts of things suggested here and in the linked URLs, but nothing solid so far.
It happened again today in the few minutes if l flew it around inside. It's so darn intermittent and I simply can't get to reproduce the problem, which is the frustrating part and very time consuming. I'll try to run a screen video, but of course when it happens I forgot to turn it on first.

I wish I had more time to go into more detailed testing, but I wanted to get me response out before too long...

Anyway, want to shout out a huge thanks for all the help that's been provided!
OK, the info regarding onscreen joysticks being ignored gives me a hint where to search for it. Thank you!!
I have never experienced this, but now I have 3 random incidents, which makes this a serious issue.

Regarding the sticks not reaching the corners, the only fix is to buy a better controller. Most controllers have very low precision. TelloFpv is already very generous in requiring not 100% stick input but only 65% to fire the CSC arming command, but I won't go any lower as it will increase the risk of accidental CSC starts for those controllers that actually work as they should.

Last edited:
Hi,
I experienced the same problem not be able to fire the CSC arming by using the joysticks (xbox 360 via otg). What do you think about simply mapping this feature to a button of individual choice?

thx

-mike

Really good job and support... I'm pushing for your app in an italian's telegram group that count 338 people at now ;)

Reactions: volate!lo
Hola a todos, ¿El controlador de Nintendo Switch Pro es compatible con la aplicación? Intenté hacer el emparejamiento, pero la respuesta a través de Bluetooth es demasiado lenta ... ¿Será mejor usar OTG?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luis_g