Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New app: TelloFPV for Android

If I decided for the parrot flypad, I have the USB interface at home to connect the DX9 to the pc I will do the test with tellofpv

Reactions: Stele
Flypad and T1d are both BT controllers, which causes pixelation and breakups of the video feed. A wifi extender greatly reduces the negative aspects of the BT interference but it is still present. Video is OK but not perfect.

Both controllers are good quality, solid builds. Gamesir will survive more physical abuse because the flypad has real stick vs thumb knobs so its a bit more fragile.

Gamesir gives solid gamepad precision. Not more. The deadzone, that is the area around the center which is reported as neutral, is pretty large. You can move the stick to 10-15% and the output is still 0. Then at 80% stick the output is already at 100%. So not really proportional, its like most gamepad controllers.

Flypad gives RC style precision and uses almost the full stick travel. At 15% stick travel you see something like 15% output. and at 80% stick you see 80% output.

I'd stay clear of the t1d. If you happen to have it ok, otherwise I'd get a wired controller for video quality or a flypad for flight precision with some video issues.
Or wait a few days, next week I will work on controller code so any controller that is identified in the gamepad tester should work with full supported buttons and sticks.
The only requirement that will stay is that sticks are report as 0 at the center and not some arbitrary value.

I'm a new enthusiast TelloFPV user.
It works great with my configuration:

- Gamesir T1d
- Xiaomi WiFi Extender (really soon with antenna mod)
- an old (2014) Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 8"

I fall in love for the 360° Panorama function !

Now I'm asking if is possible to use, in the same way, the Circle POI
adding the function for an auto-photo interval (in sec),
so we can do some experiment with Tello and aerophotography !

many thanks !

Reactions: GabrielK
I took the leap. Hopefully your revenue stream might allow you to move into the iOS space if your skill set and time allow. A Java port to iOS is certainly doable.

I'm a new enthusiast TelloFPV user.
It works great with my configuration:

- Gamesir T1d
- Xiaomi WiFi Extender (really soon with antenna mod)
- an old (2014) Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 8"

I fall in love for the 360° Panorama function !

Now I'm asking if is possible to use, in the same way, the Circle POI
adding the function for an auto-photo interval (in sec),
so we can do some experiment with Tello and aerophotography !

many thanks !

This will certainly come pretty soon as a general feature, not limited to POI APs. But it won't be configurable due to the slow photo feature of Tello. Tello can handle only one photo at a time, and download can take anywhere between 5 sec and 2 min, so using a fixed delay won't really work well. TelloFpv will just take photos as quickly as possible.

Maybe not next release but the one after that.

I took the leap. Hopefully your revenue stream might allow you to move into the iOS space if your skill set and time allow. A Java port to iOS is certainly doable.
Currently I have no plans for an IOS port.

Reactions: GabrielK
Testing new autoBitrate feature into TelloFPV 1.01

I flew same route/same hardware using TelloFPV and aTelloPilot apps.

Then, I review bitrates using VLC media player

Bitrate using TelloFPV
TelloFPV bitrate vlc.jpg

Bitrate using aTelloPilot
aTelloPilot bitrate vlc.jpg

I feel TelloFPV is using higher bitrates than aTelloPilot app. Isn't it ?

Excuse me, @volate!lo but It seems me aTelloPilot is getting better image quality too. In fact I could achieved double distance, 167 meters vs 85 meters.

Maybe a TelloFPV video settings issue ?

Raul.

I can only quote myself:
@raulvolador I'm not 100% sure the auto bitrate is what you want. I can imagine it will be less stable than a falt 1Mbps link. In case you run into problem just switch to 1Mbps for a stable link

Seems I was right: The reduced max distance due to broken video makes sense as TelloFpv may be too aggressive in restoring the 4Mbps. I guessed it would not be that easy with auto bitrate.
I will look into this, but right now I'm into the controller thing. Maybe it will go into the same release, we will see.

I just reviewed Raul's videos. Its a problem of the aggressive return to 4Mbps when in auto bitrate.
TelloFpv frequently jumps back to 4Mbps, but the stream is too fragil and breaks too often. aTelloPilot seems to stay mostly in 1 or 2 Mbps and produces a more stable video. I will work on this next.
I need to analyze this auto bitrate setting in more depth

@volate!lo,

Totally agree with you.

By the way, your customer service is the the best I've ever seen.

I'll keep testing until you get sick of my ;)

Raul.

Actually I need as much "remote test bench" as I can get. I can't test much these days, its windy all the time and mostly raining. It will be another month or so before weather gets better typically.

@volate!lo Do you have any plans to add any sort of Waypoint mission functionality to TelloFPV, by plotting points on a map? Obviously, the Tello doesn’t have GPS so you would have to start a mission by manually positioning a Home Point on the map as close as possible to your take-off point, but then it should be possible to fly a route by measuring the distance between the plotted map points and sending the relevant commands to fly a specific distance and then turn to face the next point. You could also add a parameter to limit the distance from the Home Point.

I asked this question and the answer was “dream on” (paraphrase). I think that DroneBlocks is the closest you are likely to get with the Tello.

I think that DroneBlocks is the closest you are likely to get

Correct. But you can use Droneblocks or TelloFPV at one time. So flying to the start point, make your scratch exercise and then come home maually isn't possible. Also you can't stop the exercise when something is wrong. Maybe the Tello crashes, flys away or lands into the sea.

Yes. I wasn't suggesting that DroneBlocks does what we want, only that it permits you to repeat a flight path that you have to input with distances, turns, etc. @volate!lo said that he did not think that this feature would be terribly useful in TelloFPV as it is so dependent (among other things) on the exact starting location and orientation (not to mention wind and other course changes that the Tello cannot sense). Personally I think it would be kind of cool for indoor flying and I have played with Droneblocks but it is tedious to program a flight path as you cannot simply fly it and have it remember.

Hi friend Volate!lo, Is it possible to use the master control and the student control both with a cell phone, having the app on both cell phones using google family, or is the student just using a joypad?

@volate!lo said that he did not think that this feature would be terribly useful in TelloFPV

I agree, and i like tellofpv as an excellent, full-featured manual flight app, not as a programmable platform. If it grows too much in other directions, I'll just stop updating.

And I don't think a two-phone connection is possible... yet

Reactions: volate!lo
Hi friend Volate!lo, Is it possible to use the master control and the student control both with a cell phone, having the app on both cell phones using google family, or is the student just using a joypad?
Currently only one phone with up to 2 controllers is supported. No master / slave between phones (yet)

Yes. I wasn't suggesting that DroneBlocks does what we want, only that it permits you to repeat a flight path that you have to input with distances, turns, etc. @volate!lo said that he did not think that this feature would be terribly useful in TelloFPV as it is so dependent (among other things) on the exact starting location and orientation (not to mention wind and other course changes that the Tello cannot sense). Personally I think it would be kind of cool for indoor flying and I have played with Droneblocks but it is tedious to program a flight path as you cannot simply fly it and have it remember.

I could be a political correct nice guy and say: Hey, great idea. Let me think about this.

I prefer a clear communication: pre-recorded flights will never be implemented. See the roadmap in post #1 of this thread.
TelloFpv is about real world use cases in FPV, video, photo. Not about programming, or pre-recorded tricks, or something like this.

This type of functionality just doesn't fit into what I want TelloFpv to be. Yeah, that might sound arrogant, but this is a commercial project and I have to keep TelloFpv focused and in good shape to provide the best use for the majority of customers. Once it becomes a bunch of fun experiments with a cluttered interface its dead.

Also it just would not really work as Tello has no sense of absolute position or direction. It's all relative! You'd have to ensure Tello is exactly (!!) at the same position & direction each time you execute a flight plan. You can't assure this so Tello will constantly crash, at least for the vast majority of users.

Flight plans without real-world reference points are completely useless. Try aTelloPilot. You press some point on the screen and Tello flies by itself to this point. The only problem is: You have no clue where this point is in the real world. Your best guess is "somewhere in front of me... or maybe left or so"
Real map-based waypoints & flightplan would be very useful but require a GPS or GPS-like functionality, at the minimum a compass giving true direction. I'll let you know as soon as I find a hidden GPS or compass. Until then: Doesn't work.

Will there be any possibility of the wifi signal showing the intensity lines, full in green, medium in orange, low in red ???, type the official app, and not only in db

volate! lo, Thank you for always providing a fun app.

I want to make a little request.
Please also sound a warning notice other than low battery.
When I am passionate about maneuvering, I may not notice warnings.
For example, low light condition, VPS inactive, Wifi interference, Wifi signal is weak ...

Next, when a VPS failure occurs, a very far abnormal value is displayed at that moment. As with display, record abnormal values in the flight log.
When Tello reaches such an unusual distance, can you remove it from the log?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv