Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New app: TelloFPV for Android

Please also sound a warning notice other than low battery.
In my point of view it will be to much sound. If you anytime hear peep-peep-peep id would be disturbing. In addition, you will not know why it peeps and what causes it.
Only the events, that haves an influence to the security should give a sound.
Alternative there should be a speech sound. So the Tello talks with you while flying. But I guess, thats too much effort.

Reactions: Arthuar
My vr goggles arrived yesterday and I have made a few flights since then, and guess what.. This is another dimension!! I knew it was worth it :D but it's waaay cooler than I thought! it feels like you are inside the tello and it makes you more confident and precise while going through windows and other obstacles. For all of you who already have a wired controller but don't have vr goggles, you are missing something! Get some cheap vr goggles you will see what i'm talking about. I bought the Blitzwolf vr3 goggles and tellofpv works great with it.

Speaking of sound notifications, the only change I would like to see in that feature is a separated switch to turn off the shutter sound when tello takes pictures, it makes me feel like a voyeur, but at the same time I want to have the low battery warning turned On, that's important.

As you can see 4 people talking about warnings result 4 different ideas. Some want more visible notifications, other audible or speech.

If I add more audible notifications I'll have to make them configurable. I'd be seriously annoyed if the app started to beep on every low light warning. Configuration requires yet another config screen.
More audible warnings & necessary configuration are on the todo list, but not very high. As for speech output I can only direct you to post #1 of this epic thread.

@volate!lo First, thank you for an excellent app and thank you for taking the time to answer everyone’s comments and requests. So that everyone can follow you on your development journey, could I suggest you post your roadmap of future functionality and timescales? I appreciate things can change, but it would give us all an idea of what we have to look forward to.

Even if some of you understand that development is a creative process (and sh*t happens) others will not, and so a public roadmap would create pressure.
Also it might give the (false) impression that features or priorities are up for public discussion. This is simply not the case. This is no democracy but pure dictatorship. I have my own vision that I follow.
So I don't publicly discuss my roadmap nor release timing.

The next release will add full support for all controllers. The only requirement will be that sticks are reported as 0 (or close to) when centered, and those buttons that are reported as sticks are also reported as 0 (or close to) when at rest. This mostly affect some DPads, and L2+R2 on some controllers.

After that I will do some basic work in stabilizing a few things, and improving video: Raul found a bug with the Iframe period, dynamic video bitrate needs work, and I want to try out alternative codecs. I guess that some are more error-tolerant than others as I can see differences between my LineageOs S4 and my stock ROM S4.

Even if some of you understand that development is a creative process (and sh*t happens) others will not, and so a public roadmap would create pressure.
Also it might give the (false) impression that features or priorities are up for public discussion. This is simply not the case. This is no democracy but pure dictatorship. I have my own vision that I follow.

The next release will add full support for all controllers. The only requirement will be that sticks are reported as 0 (or close to) when centered, and those buttons that are reported as sticks are also reported as 0 (or close to) when at rest. This mostly affect some DPads, and L2+R2 on some controllers.

After that I will do some basic work in stabilizing a few things, and improving video: Raul found a bug with the Iframe period, dynamic video bitrate needs work, and I want to try out alternative codecs. I guess that some are more error-tolerant than others as I can see differences between my LineageOs S4 and my stock ROM S4.

I just wanted to jump in and say thank you for all your work and sticking to your guns. Building to your own vision with a tight scope always results in a better product than building a bunch of features that you're less enthusiastic about and clutter up not only the UI, but your own code and thought processes. What you've done so far is already great!

Reactions: volate!lo

Thanks for the quick reply, and letting us know what is to come in the next release. As a developer myself I am well aware that publishing a detailed roadmap creates pressure. However, your first post in this thread does state:

“I will reveal details about new functions as soon as I am far enough into the implementation to decide if they will work well enogh to be useful.
If you have ideas for new features let me know.”

So the only reason for my post was to see if you would be willing to let us know what we might expect in the near future. Clearly, you have your “own vision” that you follow and as you say, features are not “up for public discussion”. That’s absolutely fine, however I would respectfully suggest that your attitude should sit somewhere between “democracy” and “dictatorship”... maybe “diplomacy”?

more than once, I connected to the forum, only to sell what you do in the next version.;)

Tellofpv is a great piece of software, credit to the author:).
Using it over the past couple of days at my local park, I'm very impressed.
Just wondering if it would be possible to option stamping camera picture with time,date, height??
At the moment running with WiFi extender, and prop guards removed for 12+ minutes airtime!

What I meant with my first post:
Often I mention here what will come up in the next release. Just like I did in the previous post.
Sometimes I reveal details about upcoming functions when I am at a point where I understand if /how it will work. For example I started talking about details of VR only after I found a working approach. That took weeks and a handful of prototypes that were all just too slow for a good FPV experience.

Why a public discussion of a roadmap / wishlist doesn't work:
There is maybe 20 users on this forum that speak for themselves individually but I have to keep the needs of a thousand users in mind. I have to make the masses of average users happy, not just the power users here on the forum.
I have to keep a much broader view of TelloFpv than a user: In terms of feature scope, value proposition, UI, usability, code structure, complexity, reliability, maintainability, etc. And I have to keep the excellent average rating on google play. Low rating => low sales => little future development.

That doesn't happen by following an unstructured set of ideas. Ask ten users and you get twelve conflicting approaches. Look at the comments regarding notifications / warnings for an example (no offense: its just different people articulating different needs).

If I followed user wishes and added a half functional flight record / replay feature this function would realistically lead to a handful downloads at best.
But the cost is: maybe 40hours development time, lots of added complexity, a cluttered UI, a few dozen emails about unclear functionality or crashed tellos, and a clear negative impact on the important Play Store rating. Even if it makes a few "power users" very happy for 10 minutes this sounds like a bad deal to me.

Just to give you a real world example: I recently added a feature for doing correctly overlapping photos for a 360 panorama, but left out the stitching. Realistically I can't do that as good as a free dedicated stitching app like bimostitch. Guess what: I get a handful of emails and some 4 star review because its missing stitching. Without the 360 photos these users would have given 5 star reviews most likely.

Many users here have asked for facetracking, onscreen flight plans, follow me, ... But anything that works only in strictly controlled environments, has no real use, confuses users, clutters the UI, etc has a negative impact on rating.To get 5 stars it needs to be clearly structured, and working well and reliably in all kinds of conditions.

Bottom line: Yes, I do look at user ideas - even at those that pop up every week because you never know. But I decide which features make it. I sometimes explain my rationales and decisions but that is it. Its no democracy and no open source software - its a commercial product under benevolent dictatorship. So far I haven't heard many complains.

I remember only one user who convinced me to implement something I did not want to do. But that guy used the joker: making his kids smile with flips.

Tellofpv is a great piece of software, credit to the author:).
Using it over the past couple of days at my local park, I'm very impressed.
Just wondering if it would be possible to option stamping camera picture with time,date, height??
At the moment running with WiFi extender, and prop guards removed for 12+ minutes airtime!
That one is one the list for example. But not scheduled yet.

I have a PS3 Sixaxis Controller which works with the Tello although some buttons cannot be mapped yet (coming soon). I believe this controller has the ability to sense both rotational orientation and translational acceleration along all three-dimensional axes. My question is whether this capability could be utilized in flying the Tello?

not sure if user error or I can'rt find it but can the land timer be changed?
after I tap land, there is a timer count down (or have i mistaken it for something else)
can it be switched or adjusted to land immediately?
I had a little incident due to the timer counting down whilst the tello went out of control and hit a tree but luckily no damage :(

I have a PS3 Sixaxis Controller which works with the Tello although some buttons cannot be mapped yet (coming soon). I believe this controller has the ability to sense both rotational orientation and translational acceleration along all three-dimensional axes. My question is whether this capability could be utilized in flying the Tello?
No, sorry. Thats a very specific feature and AFAIK not supported under android. Control is restricted to normal sticks.

not sure if user error or I can'rt find it but can the land timer be changed?
after I tap land, there is a timer count down (or have i mistaken it for something else)
can it be switched or adjusted to land immediately?
I had a little incident due to the timer counting down whilst the tello went out of control and hit a tree but luckily no damage :(

Only the handland has a countdown, but during that you can just continue to fly Tello as normal. The normal land button (center bottom) lands immediately without delay.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv