Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New app: TelloFPV for Android

Oh right. I suppose one would have to have a repeater that could talk to Tello and the net.
Maybe it could help you :

Use a device with a SIM card? Then you have internet access over a cellular connection (3G/4G) at the same time as having a wifi connection. Read data from one and send to the other.

Sorry, i don't have answer, i just put a thread url where the subject seems similar...

Last edited:
That solution uses a RPi which can have a wifi and a wired ethernet connection at the same time. It connects to Tello over wifi and the internet via wired ethernet.
This is nothing for the average Joe but for some IT geeks.

If it was that easy...

Seriously: As soon as you connect to Tello your cellular internet is dead. Some devices can possibly do both, but these typically don't work unless you set them into airplane mode (i.e. deactivate cellular).
To test: connect your phone to Tello's wifi, open Tello / TelloFpv app to check connection, then open your web browser and search for something that is not in your local cache.

Reactions: ceredajunior
Yesterday four succesfull flights into TelloFPV 1.11 (I'm still not updated to 1.12)

PERFECT flights. POI autopilots are amazing. I noticed a great improvement into video quality. Not only into recorded video but also in live FPV video. Video stream recovers much quickly from interference. I feel much safer flying away or making turns.

Fom latest versions TelloFPV undoubtedly becomes the best app for flying Tello.

Congratulations @volate!lo !

Raul.

Yesterday four succesfull flights into TelloFPV 1.11 (I'm still not updated to 1.12)

PERFECT flights. POI autopilots are amazing. I noticed a great improvement into video quality. Not only into recorded video but also in live FPV video. Video stream recovers much quickly from interference. I feel much safer flying away or making turns.

Fom latest versions TelloFPV undoubtedly becomes the best app for flying Tello.

Congratulations @volate!lo !

Raul.
Happy to read that!

No reason to update to 1.12. From a functionality point of view it is just speed limits for the autopilots, so nothing to worry about.

Have fun!

Pac-tello said:
Use a device with a SIM card? Then you have internet access over a cellular connection (3G/4G) at the same time as having a wifi connection. Read data from one and send to the other.
If it was that easy...

Seriously: As soon as you connect to Tello your cellular internet is dead. Some devices can possibly do both, but these typically don't work unless you set them into airplane mode (i.e. deactivate cellular).
To test: connect your phone to Tello's wifi, open Tello / TelloFpv app to check connection, then open your web browser and search for something that is not in your local cache.

Well, actually it is that easy.... At least when you use an iPhone!

As you know, the Tello acts as a router with an ip address of 192.168.10.1 and also acts as a DHCP server assigning ip addresses to new device connections.
So when the first device connects to the Tello it is assigned an ip address of 192.168.10.2. When this happens your cellular internet connection is disconnected.

However....on your device, if you change the Tello wifi connection settings from DHCP to Static you can pre-assign the ip address to any unused address up to 192.168.10.254.
When you then connect to the Tello in the future the same static ip address is assigned.. this is true of both iOS and Android devices.

On an iPhone you also benefit by retaining the existing 3G/4G cellular internet connection. I do not have an Android phone, so cannot comment if it works the same.
I had assumed that because you can do this manually it should also be possible to programmatically utilise two network connections.

Having said all that, I'm not sure what use you could make of that functionality!

@volate!lo Keep up the excellent work!

Hi
Looking for help

I usually used an iPhone but my wife just bought a new phone so I got her Samsung S7

I installed Mi Home, the Tello app, etc and after a bit of playing- not really used to Android- got the Tello, wifi repeater and gamesir controller all connected

DOwnoaded the demo version of TelloFpv and it looks terrrifice. But . After all that - two take offs and immediately two crashes!
The Tello didn’t hold position it was almost as if the vision positioning had been turned off...and drifted into a wall and crashed.

The app looks great but obviously I am doing something wrong. Any help wouldn’t be muchly appreciated

Obviously don’t want to buy the app i f I can’t make it work

PS went back to my iPhone to test if something serious had gone wrong but everything worked as it should - controllerwifi extender and drone

Thanks in advance for any help. I was looking forward to being able to use this app for all its added functionality but ...

There must be a reason for this. With several thousand installs now I am sure there is no bug in the controller code that can explain this.

I assume you used the same spot for testing with the same light conditions?

Any pattern in what Tello did (e.g. slowly drift left or fwd, rotate)?

Have you tried with or without controller? Usually the controller is the culprit so try without.

The little red dots in the onscreen joysticks indicate the commands sent to Tello. Just connect the controller and see what it does. If these aren't centered there must be a reason for it. You don't need to takeoff to see this. If the T1d is connected and gives some (erratic) input the dots should move a bit, try to move the sticks around, some have erratic input while moved.

Anyway, do not buy the app if the demo doesnt work. They share the exact same codebase and differ only in a few compile flags. If demo expires while testing you can delete & install again for another 10 flights.

Hi
Looking for help

I usually used an iPhone but my wife just bought a new phone so I got her Samsung S7

I installed Mi Home, the Tello app, etc and after a bit of playing- not really used to Android- got the Tello, wifi repeater and gamesir controller all connected

DOwnoaded the demo version of TelloFpv and it looks terrrifice. But . After all that - two take offs and immediately two crashes!
The Tello didn’t hold position it was almost as if the vision positioning had been turned off...and drifted into a wall and crashed.

The app looks great but obviously I am doing something wrong. Any help wouldn’t be muchly appreciated

Obviously don’t want to buy the app i f I can’t make it work

PS went back to my iPhone to test if something serious had gone wrong but everything worked as it should - controllerwifi extender and drone

Thanks in advance for any help. I was looking forward to being able to use this app for all its added functionality but ...
Hi, i had similar issue with a flysky controler (the controler response was strange in the settings) . It was because the battery was close to empty. Is your t1d battery is charged ?
Btw, i have samsung s7 too and tellofpv is working like a charm on it.
Hope it helps...

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions- pretty sure the controller was fully charged, but both your responses suggest it may be the controller that is the culprit.

There was no discernible pattern in the crashes. The first flight I took off from the table top and it drifted north.

I tried the next time on the ground and it drifted east.

Quite quickly too I had no opportunity to emergency land but of course it was in a small room.

I’ll try again outdoors when there is no wind and without a controller and see what happens.

Very annoying, everyone else seems to have it working fine!

My best guess us your extender is not a wifi extender but a router. It changes the IP addresses and ranges and runs its own DHCP server. TelloFpv checks the IP range to see if it connected to Tello's wifi and since your router changes the range TelloFpv thinks its not connected to tello.

You can check if this is true: open the wifi settings and check the IP address assigned to your phone. If connected to Tello you will see 192.168.10.x, most likely 192.168.10.2 . If connected to the router its something different

I have deactivated DHCP on the repeater and used static IP instead.
Now TelloFPV keeps asking me if my phone is in airplane mode. It is.

I'm using 192.168.10.3 for my phone. The Tello hat 192.168.10.1 (found by repeater). The repeater itself gets 192.168.10.2 from the Tello.

All connections are 2.4 Ghz.

What confuses me is the fact that the original app doesn't show any of these issues.

I'm using 192.168.10.3 for my phone. The Tello hat 192.168.10.1 (found by repeater). The repeater itself gets 192.168.10.2 from the Tello.

What confuses me is the fact that the original app doesn't show any of these issues.
I ll have to check. I decided I’d do my next testing outdoors with no walls close by and wouldn’t you know it torrential rain an winds all weekend

I'm pleased to introduce you to a new Android app: TelloFPV

Prime reasons for development of this app:

• I wanted an app for FPV training. I have kids and while they do OK with normal toy drones they keep crashing when doing FPV flights. So TelloFPV contains an FPV trainer function which supports multiple controllers in parallel (one overrules the other). That way the kids can learn FPV without constantly crashing Tello.
  • I badly wanted reliable support for the Parrot Flypad controller
  • VR goggle support. While this is not yet ready for public use I am working on it and I am determined to release this ASAP.
  • I wanted a couple of functions not available in other apps. The Home indicator and a few smart autopilots for example.
So here is a screenshot:

View attachment 2268

System requirements:
TelloFpv should run on anything Android 5.0 or newer. Bluetooth low energy required for Flypad & Gamesir controllers.
Tested on Samsung S4 running stock Android 5, Samsung S4 mini running Lineageos Android 8.1, Nexus 7 running stock Android 6.0, Lenovo Tab4 8Plus running stock Android 7.1, Galaxy Tab A6 running stock Android 6

State of development and Roadmap

In the next post you will find a beta version and a preliminary manual. In case you have trouble check the last page for a few hints. Feel free to try TelloFpv and provide feedback good or bad.

The next update should be around new year covering USB controllers and if everything goes well smoother video and hopefully support for VR goggles.

Future versions will not only contain bug fixes as I have a host of ideas to implement. I will reveal details about new functions as soon as I am far enough into the implementation to decide if they will work well enogh to be useful.
If you have ideas for new features let me know. My goal is to make TelloFPV the app of choice for FPV and video / photo shooting. I try not to clutter the code or UI for something I don't consider useful for the intended use case so please accept if a certain feature you'd like to see doesn't really fit.

Which brings me to the point that certain features will never make it into TelloFPV:

• Bounce mode - sorry if someone likes it. Please use stock app for this.
  • No speech output.
  • No Face tracking.
  • I am not sure about Flips, they are already implemented but they just don't fit into the vision I have for TelloFPV.
  • No gyro control unless numerous (!) people ask for it.
  • I won't do a photo / video galery or viewer inside TelloFPV as there are plenty apps doing this much nicer than anything I can build.
  • I have no plans for a "touch-to-go-there" style flightplan control where you draw a path on the screen and Tello folllows it (I can't see how to make real world use of this).

Please note:
This is not a free app: TelloFPV will become a commercial app available on google playstore as soon as any remaining bugs are ironed out. TelloFPV is now available on google playstore

A WORD OF WARNING
-----------------------------------
All core features should work - at least they do for me. But this is BETA quality software and not a final product. It certainly contains bugs or incompatibilities! it may it may wreck your drone, kill your cat, break your wife's most precious figurine and set your christmas tree on fire.
I accept no responsibility for anything - you are on your own so good luck and take care! Don't fly too far, too high, or near the christmas tree.

Credits:
TelloFPV has been developed from the ground up using pure Java and has no ties to any other Tello app or library. It does contains nice Icons made by Freepik from www.flaticon.com.

Tons of Kudos go to TelloPilot member "Krag" for his TelloLib sourcecode which has proven invaluable for the initial understanding of the protocol, also for his work on decoding the logfile stream. In fact it was his app that sparked my initial interest and lead to this app. Thanks again!
Hi
Just joined. Bought app. where is manual please. Thank you!
Doc

If TelloFpv asks if phone is in Airplane mode that means it is now in a Wifi with the right IP settings, but can't ping Tello. Why that happens I don't know, maybe your router does not forward Ping requests.

The reason is that TelloFpv makes a few checks that the other app does not do. It just stays blank if there is a problem with no indication why.
One thing I could change though is to just try to connect even if the checks failed.

But your setup is very exotic. I have almost 5k installs of the full version and over time maybe 25k installs of the free demo, and never had this problem reported.

I ll have to check. I decided I’d do my next testing outdoors with no walls close by and wouldn’t you know it torrential rain an winds all weekend
The next version of TelloFpv will check if all connected controllers are reporting neutral sticks before starting the motors. That might not solve the issue, but rather point you to a solution.

Sorry if this should be obvious, but was the feature of storing on an external SD card added,?
No, not yet.
Hi
Just joined. Bought app. where is manual please. Thank you!
Doc
The manual is under menu => help, also in the facebook group, and I just uploaded it to the first post of this thread.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv