Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New app: TelloFPV for Android

Everything in the world can be enhanced, but I love the way Up&Away autopilot works now. By far it's one of the most amazing features added by TelloFPV to our litte Tello, and it works great even in windy situations.

By the way, congratulations @volate!lo as your TelloFPV forum thread is about to getting 100 pages mark ;)

Reactions: xcrost
Yes! Congrats to a fantastic creation. Flying Tello is a true pleasure now! I can't thank you enough! Any word on dual screen? I have another phone ready ;)

Seems i wasted a week on my idea without much success. So back to normal features starting today...
In a week or two i shall be at the dual screen thing

Seems i wasted a week on my idea without much success. So back to normal features starting today...
In a week or two i shall be at the dual screen thing

It's a pity your secret research has not succeed. Sometimes is better let time goes by and inspiration arrives ;)

Now you can invest time into your to-do list...

Raul.

Last edited:
You are interpreting too much in my post. Maybe I should rephrase it: FollowMe is at the very top of the "wish list" but nobody has ever come up with a viable solution.

Hey @volate!lo ,

thanks and congrats on this great app! I'm not switching to Ryze app ever again :)

When talking about the ideas no one implemented yet, and that would be like a god-mode when testing longer distances have you considered adding a "track functionality"?

What I mean by this, let's say you have normal mode (like you have now) and secure mode (which would require a user to do some basic configuration before flying).

And that secure mode (app) would grab phone GPS location, phone direction , and drone distance from phone and also drone direction (which you would need to set manually to north or something).

Then your app would know the direction drone is facing when it takes off, and aprox. how far from the phone (let's call it base :) ) would be?

Would it be hard to implement some sort of "show where my drone is" map or just simple indicators so you could find it just by walking there and following some sort of arrows?

Something like a fake GPS tracking. I know it wouldn't be 100% accurate.

That is something no one has implemented for a Tello so far... :)

I think at least the idea is good? I don't know how hard (or even possible) would it be to implement something like this as an additional feature. I know I would pay for that!

Hey @volate!lo ,

thanks and congrats on this great app! I'm not switching to Ryze app ever again :)

When talking about the ideas no one implemented yet, and that would be like a god-mode when testing longer distances have you considered adding a "track functionality"?

What I mean by this, let's say you have normal mode (like you have now) and secure mode (which would require a user to do some basic configuration before flying).

And that secure mode (app) would grab phone GPS location, phone direction , and drone distance from phone and also drone direction (which you would need to set manually to north or something).

Then your app would know the direction drone is facing when it takes off, and aprox. how far from the phone (let's call it base :) ) would be?

Would it be hard to implement some sort of "show where my drone is" map or just simple indicators so you could find it just by walking there and following some sort of arrows?

Something like a fake GPS tracking. I know it wouldn't be 100% accurate.

That is something no one has implemented for a Tello so far... :)

I think at least the idea is good? I don't know how hard (or even possible) would it be to implement something like this as an additional feature. I know I would pay for that!
The problem is accuracy in the real world is so low, its just not worth it. Misalignments in drone direction, phone direction, distance and direction to drone, initial GPS position, etc all add up to a level where the accuracy of such a "lost drone marker" is like: "Your drone crashed somewhere northeast, or east, or maybe south of where your phone thought it was, or maybe not. Distance is somewhere within wifi distance from your takeoff point.".

Any function with such a low accuracy would result in lots of negative comments and low ratings, ruining the app's reputation. Low score => fewer downloads => lower revenue => development stops.

Reactions: raulvolador
The problem is accuracy in the real world is so low, its just not worth it. Misalignments in drone direction, phone direction, distance and direction to drone, initial GPS position, etc all add up to a level where the accuracy of such a "lost drone marker" is like: "Your drone crashed somewhere northeast, or east, or maybe south of where your phone thought it was, or maybe not. Distance is somewhere within wifi distance from your takeoff point.".

Any function with such a low accuracy would result in lots of negative comments and low ratings, ruining the app's reputation. Low score => fewer downloads => lower revenue => development stops.

I understand. Thanks for the quick reply :)

What about WiFi Triangulation Once you start moving to find the Tello, you start collecting signal strength data from various locations, using the phone's GPS for location. Do the trilateration calculations, and you should get close. Maybe moving in what you think is the "wrong" direction initially will spread out the calculations and give a wider baseline. Even if you don't plot in on a map, a direction or vector would be helpful. And for more fun, buddy up with someone else's phone and combine multiple data sources.

... and a comment on ruining the app's reputation.... create a separate app that is "experimental", unsupported, licensed on condition of non-complaint. Just collect useful feedback while playing with new ideas. Or possibly I don't know what I'm talking about.

What about WiFi Triangulation Once you start moving to find the Tello, you start collecting signal strength data from various locations, using the phone's GPS for location. Do the trilateration calculations, and you should get close. Maybe moving in what you think is the "wrong" direction initially will spread out the calculations and give a wider baseline. Even if you don't plot in on a map, a direction or vector would be helpful. And for more fun, buddy up with someone else's phone and combine multiple data sources.

... and a comment on ruining the app's reputation.... create a separate app that is "experimental", unsupported, licensed on condition of non-complaint. Just collect useful feedback while playing with new ideas. Or possibly I don't know what I'm talking about.
1. triangulation would never work. You need sophisticated gear to get even a rough direction. I had ideas for way more precise measurements but even those were not good enough to plot the course well enough to be useful.
2. I thought about releasing a separate experimental version. Not that easy. People expect that anything experimental its free, but I can't release a significant portion of TelloFpv for free or I'd kill my paid app model. So I'd need to do a "special" release that is unusuable otherwise, but then nobody would use it and provide feedback...

I just checked the link provided, what he did is trilateration, not triangulation.

If that worked (which it won't reliably) youd need to fly around yourself at varying distances for minutes to get the samples required. But then you don't have enough juice left to have much fun...

Sorry, I probably hijacked a totally different thread... I was thinking about how to find a Tello that was MIA. I assumed from the reported results in the link that the trilateration using multiple samples did work.

.. and for the experimental app ... charge more, not less :) . Filter out the less serious people. It's a bonus to get early access to some neat stuff, and possibly even to participate in its evolution.

As @volate!lo says with 10 minutes of flight autonomy I doubt that you can do what you ask, I do not think it's worthwhile to waste 4 or 5 minutes of flight to find a fallen or lost drone, better fly with caution and enjoy the flight

Reactions: volate!lo

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv