Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New app: TelloFPV for Android

Whenever I fly FPV or VR I have a lot of trouble finding a landing spot. Obviously, the camera does not see downward but I wonder if there is any technique that people have for landing that somehow compensates for this limitation? Is there anything TelloFPV could do to help in this regard?
really no idea...Don't you land next to you by LOS?

Whenever I fly FPV or VR I have a lot of trouble finding a landing spot. Obviously, the camera does not see downward but I wonder if there is any technique that people have for landing that somehow compensates for this limitation? Is there anything TelloFPV could do to help in this regard?

@ihf,

When into VR (virtual reality) and ready for landing I fly Tello very close and let it hovering in front of me. I release control sticks and quickly take off VR googles and finish landing by using my own eyes. Sometimes I extracted smartphone from them previous to land.

Certainly it's a bit tricky moment as Tello is flying unnatended for a few seconds and it's possible pressing an app button accidentally during extraction process.

The only fix I can imagine is TelloFPV app changing Tello live view to smartphone camera. It would be great for VR landing and for takeoff too, but take into account we will loose deep 3D perception, and that's very important during landing.

Raul.

I have a problem I do not know if it's still my drone or it's an app bug. It is worth noting that the drone I had left since February because the "VPS" was broken to say so as I made wb-12 (liquid lubricant) and the liquid ran to the motherboard of the tello and thus being useless because I gave navigation error and then the sensor of the camera did not detect anything, then I made clean contacts and never got fixed, until today that I touched it again and finally my tello came back to life.

- The problem that I really have-
I do not know if it is a bug of the app or my drone that is still failing, but when I fly with TelloFVP my Tello on the screen starts to change the house as crazy, so put the camera in front and sign and after the house is I change places every second to different places that do not even make sense, I hope for help :(

The house is just an indicator, calculated from the Position Tello reports in near-realtime (and the position it had when taking off).
If Tello reports chaotic changes in positions, the house will move accordingly.

Seems to be a hardware issue. I guess you need to clean your VPS camera, the contacts, or buy a new Tello.

The house is just an indicator, calculated from the Position Tello reports in near-realtime (and the position it had when taking off).
If Tello reports chaotic changes in positions, the house will move accordingly.

Seems to be a hardware issue. I guess you need to clean your VPS camera, the contacts, or buy a new Tello.
I am having strange issues on v 1.14d.if I activate an ap like boomerang it gets completed but after that if I press on three dot the three dot turns red but nothing opens.The menu works only after force closing and restarting tellofpv app. I am on andriod 9.0 pie with mi redmi note 4 phone. I also face video lag issues sometimes.

Also tello gives a crazy turn sometimes just like turns 180 degree and returns to 0 degree very rapidly.

Also if tello is just above me I loose wifi range very quickly and all of a sudden. just at 10m altitude. (this is not app issue). I think this might be the cause for my earlier wifi issue as well. Is it normal? We should not fly tello just above us?

I would love to get a reproduceable screenrecording what leads to the "three dot" red problem. I know there is a random issue but I simply can't reproduce.

Crazy turns (without external controller) indicate that your VPS has problems. Maybe clean the camera?

The reason why you can't fly straight over your head is the nature of the wifi radiation pattern. Tello uses vertically polarized antennas, which give a donut shaped pattern. The spots of weakest reception are right over and under Tello. Like this
1557131113526.png

Bought a Tello couple a weeks ago, just to learn to fly a drone, without ruin my economy to crash and more expensive one.
Goal is to by a DJI Spark later on.
By that said, I have never tested a drone before that. After getting a remote, I bougth you TelloFPV app and it raised the quality of my Tello at once. Being +60y, with absolutely no experience the app helps me a lot.
I am extremely impressed that you have been able to add RTH, headless mode (love it when flying indoors), let me record automatically when take off (with memory as a gold fish, I forget it half of all flights else...).
But most impressive is the great GUI, how easy it is to connect the wifi and the remote compared with the DJI app, that the latest manual is available direct from the app. Thanks to you, I am motivated to make more training hours before I buy the Spark and I definitely going to keep the Tello just for fun. I have ordered an wifi extender, coming in a few day's and look forward to get out even more of the Tello/TelloFPV.
/putte

Reactions: xcrost
I would love to get a reproduceable screenrecording what leads to the "three dot" red problem. I know there is a random issue but I simply can't reproduce.

Crazy turns (without external controller) indicate that your VPS has problems. Maybe clean the camera?

The reason why you can't fly straight over your head is the nature of the wifi radiation pattern. Tello uses vertically polarized antennas, which give a donut shaped pattern. The spots of weakest reception are right over and under Tello. Like this
View attachment 3921
How to share screenrecording?

Got answer for 2nd & 3rd problem.

Regarding 1st problem : the boomerang ap completed successfully.I clicked on three dots.Menu appeared but i clicked on some other part of screen so the menu went off.Now again i clicked the three dots it turned red but menu did not open.After few seconds the boomerang ap was started automatically without any input from me.

So i think the issue is if you clock the three dots and click on some other part of screen then the menu will not appear again until you forcee close and re open tellofpv,

Also from my previous experience if some ap menu(where you set distance ,speed etc) is there and it is closed by touching some other part of screen then also the menu will not appear next time when you click on the three dots.

I got a not licensed error when installing this on my acer tablet, even though it has the same account credentials of my phone. Can this not be installed on 2 devices?

Last edited:
Bought a Tello couple a weeks ago, just to learn to fly a drone, without ruin my economy to crash and more expensive one.
Goal is to by a DJI Spark later on.
By that said, I have never tested a drone before that. After getting a remote, I bougth you TelloFPV app and it raised the quality of my Tello at once. Being +60y, with absolutely no experience the app helps me a lot.
I am extremely impressed that you have been able to add RTH, headless mode (love it when flying indoors), let me record automatically when take off (with memory as a gold fish, I forget it half of all flights else...).
But most impressive is the great GUI, how easy it is to connect the wifi and the remote compared with the DJI app, that the latest manual is available direct from the app. Thanks to you, I am motivated to make more training hours before I buy the Spark and I definitely going to keep the Tello just for fun. I have ordered an wifi extender, coming in a few day's and look forward to get out even more of the Tello/TelloFPV.
/putte
thank you, have fun!!

How to share screenrecording?

Got answer for 2nd & 3rd problem.

Regarding 1st problem : the boomerang ap completed successfully.I clicked on three dots.Menu appeared but i clicked on some other part of screen so the menu went off.Now again i clicked the three dots it turned red but menu did not open.After few seconds the boomerang ap was started automatically without any input from me.

So i think the issue is if you clock the three dots and click on some other part of screen then the menu will not appear again until you forcee close and re open tellofpv,

Also from my previous experience if some ap menu(where you set distance ,speed etc) is there and it is closed by touching some other part of screen then also the menu will not appear next time when you click on the three dots.
I will try to reproduce the problem

I got a not licensed error when installing this on my acer tablet, even though it has the same account credentials of my phone. Can this not be installed on 2 devices?
There is two different "not licensed" errors:
1) a full error message after which the app is stopped. That means the google account used on that device does not own a license. Typically happens if people don't buy the app
2) a notification briefly shown. That just indicates that the licensing validation has not yet finished, and you are too quick. Wait a few seconds and it will work.

This only happens during the first few days of installation, after which TelloFpv installs a local license. And it will be fixed in the next version, most likely later today.

Reactions: xcrost
v1.15 has been released as beta versionon play store

New
* Flight Log: Details for individual flights including plotting of flight route
* New Option: Automatically cancel any autolanding (VPS off and low battery), will show warning instead
* Activate POI lock autopilot while in Headless mode to create cable cam / dolly cam like video: Tello passes the POI in a straight line, and rotates to keep the POI in focus
* Support for phones with Right-To-Left system languages (hebrew)

Changes
* Video handling optimized to reduce delay by a few ms and make stream recovery from interference a bit quicker
* Optimized license handling & messages
* Throttle up always cancels landing (was an option before)
* Optimized position calculation and autopilot accuracy

Fixes
* Recording timer starts at 30:00 for timezones with 30min offset
* "Not licensed" shown if play store is slow or unavailable
* Dronie / Boomerang: Change of speed during AP execution fails
* Screen freezes when switching camera between photo and video
* Err 206 indicating a brand new drone that was never initialized with the ryze app
* Dronie/Boomerang fails when speed is changed during execution
* Dronie never finishes
* Homeposition reset if VPS compromised during intialization
* Pano 360 video & boomerang sometimes did not make full 360

v1.15 has been released as beta versionon play store

New
* Flight Log: Details for individual flights including plotting of flight route
* New Option: Automatically cancel any autolanding (VPS off and low battery), will show warning instead
* Activate POI lock autopilot while in Headless mode to create cable cam / dolly cam like video: Tello passes the POI in a straight line, and rotates to keep the POI in focus
* Support for phones with Right-To-Left system languages (hebrew)

Changes
* Video handling optimized to reduce delay by a few ms and make stream recovery from interference a bit quicker
* Optimized license handling & messages
* Throttle up always cancels landing (was an option before)
* Optimized position calculation and autopilot accuracy

Fixes
* Recording timer starts at 30:00 for timezones with 30min offset
* "Not licensed" shown if play store is slow or unavailable
* Dronie / Boomerang: Change of speed during AP execution fails
* Screen freezes when switching camera between photo and video
* Err 206 indicating a brand new drone that was never initialized with the ryze app
* Dronie/Boomerang fails when speed is changed during execution
* Dronie never finishes
* Homeposition reset if VPS compromised during intialization
* Pano 360 video & boomerang sometimes did not make full 360
1) How exactly auto cancel of landing works : Like when vps is inactive it gets cancelled right? .So can we fly tello above water without any issue?
But what if the battery is too low for example 6-7%? the tello will force land right?

2)How exactly headless mode works: if i activate headless mode and rotate the drone 180degree(Camera pointing to me) and press forward will the drone come towards me or go away from me.

3) How exactly cable cam works: lock poi and if i press forward/backward the drone moves according by keeping poi in centre.If i press left/right the drone keeps the poi in centre and tries to rotate to adjust right?

4)Now if there is vps inactive at some point will return to home still work correctly?

Now testing indoors?
APs complete rotation everytime and you can change bumerang and dronie speeds but when I do that, bumerang continues to descent and backwards instead of coming Back.
The recicle bin button desapears after selecting a log and doesnt appear again unless I reenter the flight logs menu. Can we also delete individual logs?
Must do further testing to poi in headless Mode.

Last edited:
1) How exactly auto cancel of landing works : Like when vps is inactive it gets cancelled right? .So can we fly tello above water without any issue?
But what if the battery is too low for example 6-7%? the tello will force land right?

2)How exactly headless mode works: if i activate headless mode and rotate the drone 180degree(Camera pointing to me) and press forward will the drone come towards me or go away from me.

3) How exactly cable cam works: lock poi and if i press forward/backward the drone moves according by keeping poi in centre.If i press left/right the drone keeps the poi in centre and tries to rotate to adjust right?

4)Now if there is vps inactive at some point will return to home still work correctly?
1) It automatically cancels any landing that is not initiated by the user. Its up to Tello to decide if this landing can be cancelled or not. VPS landings can be cancelled AFAIK, also the first landing on low battery can be cancelled. But shortly later Tello will enforce a landing (unless you have an old firmware, which will fly utill it falls out of the sky).
Fly over water without any issues? Don't know, and I don't have any water nearby. Feel free to try :)

2) as described in the manual: Activating headless locks the heading. Pitch forward moves into the direction that was "forward" when headless was activated. If you rotate 180 degrees or 90 degrees doesn't matter. Forward will move into the same direction.

Don't be mistaken: This does not mean forward = away and back=towards you. It means forward = "forward when headless was turned on"
There is a hidden feature to activate "forward=away, back=closer" , but I find it very confusing. The direction of "forward" or "left" constantly changes depending on the position of Tello in relation to takeoff point.

3) The drone will always face the POI. you move pitch & roll to move the drone. But if you just use pitch forward Tello will move forward in the direction it had when activating headless. You don't have to manually compensate for the rotation
Of course you have to first activate headless, and then the POI lock. Other way round does not work, as pressing "..." cancels any active autopilot

4) no. With VPS off tello is completely dumb and doesn't know anything about its position

Now testing indoors?
APs complete rotation everytime and you can change bumerang and dronie speeds but when I do that, bumerang continues to descent and backwards instead of coming Back.
The recicle bin button desapears after selecting a log and doesnt appear again unless I reenter the flight logs menu. Can we also delete individual logs?
Must do further testing to poi in headless Mode.
The recycle bin button I am aware of. Deletion of individual flights will come soon, but this will currently not remove it's data from the records / totals.

AP I will test, thanks!

Sometimes when selecting flight logs a license verification message appears.
That license verification should only come up after opening the app. Never in the middle of using the app, unless the initial license verification fails.

1) It automatically cancels any landing that is not initiated by the user. Its up to Tello to decide if this landing can be cancelled or not. VPS landings can be cancelled AFAIK, also the first landing on low battery can be cancelled. But shortly later Tello will enforce a landing (unless you have an old firmware, which will fly utill it falls out of the sky).
Fly over water without any issues? Don't know, and I don't have any water nearby. Feel free to try :)

2) as described in the manual: Activating headless locks the heading. Pitch forward moves into the direction that was "forward" when headless was activated. If you rotate 180 degrees or 90 degrees doesn't matter. Forward will move into the same direction.

Don't be mistaken: This does not mean forward = away and back=towards you. It means forward = "forward when headless was turned on"
There is a hidden feature to activate "forward=away, back=closer" , but I find it very confusing. The direction of "forward" or "left" constantly changes depending on the position of Tello in relation to takeoff point.

3) The drone will always face the POI. you move pitch & roll to move the drone. But if you just use pitch forward Tello will move forward in the direction it had when activating headless. You don't have to manually compensate for the rotation
Of course you have to first activate headless, and then the POI lock. Other way round does not work, as pressing "..." cancels any active autopilot

4) no. With VPS off tello is completely dumb and doesn't know anything about its position

The recycle bin button I am aware of. Deletion of individual flights will come soon, but this will currently not remove it's data from the records / totals.

AP I will test, thanks!

That license verification should only come up after opening the app. Never in the middle of using the app, unless the initial license verification fails.
I believe the app restarts when selecting logs and I have a bunch of them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv