Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New app: TelloFPV for Android

Interesting ... phone with which specifications to be compatible with VGPS?
You need an accurate compass. Some (older) low budget phones may not have the required compass or may be too inaccurate to produce acceptable results. Some may have a magnetic flip cover or case which affects compass accuracy.

Reactions: bsaridar
You need an accurate compass. Some (older) low budget phones may not have the required compass or may be too inaccurate to produce acceptable results. Some may have a magnetic flip cover or case which affects compass accuracy.
Thanks for the reply, on this I think I have no problems with my Samsung Note 3 Neo device that I use exclusively with Tello!
Otherwise I switch to my personal device Samsung A7 (2018)

That sounds very counter-intuitive. You'd have to turn yourself 180deg if you want to turn tello 180 deg. I may give this a try but it sounds cumbersome at best.
Yes, of course I have than turn myself for 180 deg. But 45deg will be enough too.
At least it will give a verry cool real-live- Flying Experience ???

You are looking for head tracking, right?
That is something i wanted to try for some time. Should be possible now with headless mode supported

But flight direction and head direction should be decoupled or it will be an awkward experience

You are looking for head tracking, right?
That is something i wanted to try for some time. Should be possible now with headless mode supported

But flight direction and head direction should be decoupled or it will be an awkward experience
Hm, but thats what I had in mind: Flying in the direction i look. Headless-wise could be much more difficult, because if you fly in a direction you dont look could be dangerous.
It Max be is possible by using gyroscope Data?
And it should be possible to enable/disable this Option.

tello new firmware released yesterday , is it safe to update ? or may it cause tellofpv to stop working ?
any info ?

i didnt update yet, to stay on safe side

Vola, my hero! Do you think you could add some background to signal corruption marker? As it is in the top part of the screen it tends to blend with the sky :( I fly with onboard extender so that's my only signal loss indicator.

Also: how often does tellofpv check the license? I use a separate phone with no sim for flying and the app likes to verify it's license whenever I'm in the field. Any solution to this?

Reactions: brick72
Hm, but thats what I had in mind: Flying in the direction i look. Headless-wise could be much more difficult, because if you fly in a direction you dont look could be dangerous.
It Max be is possible by using gyroscope Data?
And it should be possible to enable/disable this Option.
What you are asking for is possible, but would result in a strange flying experience. Have you flown with headtracking before?
Headtracking as I explained it is like looking out of the cockpit window on a plane. Just like you don't fly a plane by constantly looking out of the right window you use this headtracking momentarily, and then continue to look ahead. For turning you use sticks.
Headtracking like you describe it is like flying the plane by turning your head. You look out of the right cockpit window and the plane turns right. Impossible to control IMO.

As for the licensing issue:
After installation TelloFpv should only try license validation for 2-3 days. People can get refunded by play store for 48h - so I can only be sure that I get paid after these 48h have passed. Depending on the exact timing TelloFpv will store a permanent license on the device after 48-72 hours.
Permanent licenses are only stored on devices using the "network provided time & date" (default on all Android) - otherwise it would be too easy to tamper this.

To check open the about box: version should have a P suffix for permanent license. After that TelloFpv will not check for licenses anymore, unless you clear it's memory or delete & install.

Last edited:
What you are asking for is possible, but would result in a strange flying experience. Have you flown with headtracking before?
Headtracking as I explained it is like looking out of the cockpit window on a plane. Just like you don't fly a plane by constantly looking out of the right window you use this headtracking momentarily, and then continue to look ahead. For turning you use sticks.
Headtracking like you describe it is like flying the plane by turning your head. You look out of the right cockpit window and the plane turns right. Impossible to control IMO.
Exactly what my Idea is: turning the direction by headtracking ????
Forward/backward up/down and sideways should be made by gamepads.
In the Way that you explained I think it will be weird. To
"Look out of the Window" will be strange and dangerous, if you dont look in the direction you fly.
I didnt fly by headtracking before, but it results in the same Way like my 360° degree Videos. You always will Watch it in the direction the cameraman Walks. Looking backward in a 360degree Video make strange Feelings. Sometimes you Watch a bit to left and right, but mostly you follow the direction forward.
May be you can implement both versions: Headless Mode with headtracking(look out of Window) and the "Captain Pilot Mode". I prefer the "Captain Pilot Mode" ?
And this should be done in VR Mode with Glasses ?

Exactly what my Idea is: turning the direction by headtracking ????
Forward/backward up/down and sideways should be made by gamepads.
In the Way that you explained I think it will be weird. To
"Look out of the Window" will be strange and dangerous, if you dont look in the direction you fly.
I didnt fly by headtracking before, but it results in the same Way like my 360° degree Videos. You always will Watch it in the direction the cameraman Walks. Looking backward in a 360degree Video make strange Feelings. Sometimes you Watch a bit to left and right, but mostly you follow the direction forward.
May be you can implement both versions: Headless Mode with headtracking(look out of Window) and the "Captain Pilot Mode". I prefer the "Captain Pilot Mode" ?
And this should be done in VR Mode with Glasses ?
I think lack of experience is the reason why you want that "Captain Pilot mode". I will ask around if there is any drone / FC that does this headtracking this way but I strongly doubt that is the case.
You'd have to constantly turn your head for 10 minutes which won't be fun in VR . Also you can't constantly turn your head with the precision and speed required for accurate flights.
But the main reason is it just isn't the natural way of doing it. Imagine cars drive wherever we look. And then I see this cute girl on the sidewalk and BAMM ... The streets would be littered with cute girls, and only the ugly ones survive. Not good. :cry:

The "look out of the window" is actually the natural way of implementing headtracking. You sit there and look forward into the direction of flight and turn your head left / right for brief moments to have a look around while the drone travels on its path. Just like a pilot you don't constantly look out of the side windows but just for short moments.

I think about this and maybe implement it but I strongly doubt I will release this to the public.

Just took a short flight after firmware update. Wind is 28kmh and gusty. Had no trouble in either video or sport mode. Wifi connection was strong but I am in an open space. Funny thing is the flight log showed battery at take off to be at 0% but was correct at landing?. Almost got 13min which was not bad in the wind.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv