Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New app: TelloFPV for Android

I can't fly now because it's dark. I got a g3s gamesir today and wired to my phone. It's working nicely and I mapped all buttons. Now I'm itching like crazy to take it for a spin around the house?

Hello all,

I'm testing TelloFPV into a new smartphone Samsung A40 1080 x 2340 pixels screen, running Android 9 Pie.

TelloFPV runs OK, but I noticed a cosmetic issue due round screen corners: Right bottom M/S button is partially hidden. See here:

tellofpv navigation bar.jpg

You can see it better in this zoomed image:

tellofpv navigation bar_detail.jpg

I suppose it's due TelloFPV runs into Full Screen Mode, forcing Android closing three buttons Navigation bar you can see here at the bottom of the screen:

samsung a40 navigation bar.jpg

Anyone can suggest a fix ?

I played for a long time with Android Display Application settings but were unabled to find any clue on how to avoid Android hidding Navigation bar.

Thanks

Raul.

Last edited:
At last I had a change to fly and with the beta update I can also confirm that my black screen issue is fixed as well. Also enjoyed the wired gamesir g3s a lot more than the bt gamepad I was using before.

Hello all,

I'm testing TelloFPV into a new smartphone Samsung A40 1080 x 2340 pixels screen, running Android 9 Pie.

TelloFPV runs OK, but I noticed a cosmetic issue due round screen corners: Right bottom M/S button is partially hidden. See here:

View attachment 4128

You can see it better in this zoomed image:

View attachment 4129

I suppose it's due TelloFPV runs into Full Screen Mode, forcing Android closing three buttons Navigation bar you can see here at the bottom of the screen:

View attachment 4131

Anyone can suggest a fix ?

I played for a long time with Android Display Application settings but were unabled to find any clue on how to avoid Android hidding Navigation bar.

Thanks

Raul.
Maybe I have to modernize my test phones a bit. The most recent phone I have here is a S6 :unsure:

I will look into this and see what I can do

Reactions: raulvolador
Funny, there is no way in android to identify a rounded screen... That is going to cause some interesting design concerns as more phones get these rounded screens.
Anyway, I just finished a version that has a option under "settings - misc" called "Adjust for rounded corner screen".

It just adds some free space in the corners. Not necessarily matching the corner inset (because there is no way of telling how much is required), but that is all I can do.

This is a demo build so you can install in parallel without affecting your normal TelloFpv app.

@volate!lo

Excellent work. I thank you fixing rounded corners screen issue so fast (y)

Your fix works ok, but I'm afraid it needs a bit more free space at the right side to becomes perfect into my smartphone.

Here TelloFPV Rounded Screen setting NOT enabled:
tellofpv not round adjust.jpg

Same with Rounded Screen setting enabled:
tellofpv round adjust.jpg
It improves a lot, but noticed right bottom green button still partially hidden

By the way, this phone model wear a camera notch in the upper side, not used by lot of apps. Due camera notch a vertical black bar is added at left side of screen in landscape mode. As TelloFPV don't use notch band space, your new Roundend Corners Adjust is not needed at left side of TelloFPV view.

Thanks a lot !

Raul.

Last edited:
Funny, there is no way in android to identify a rounded screen... That is going to cause some interesting design concerns as more phones get these rounded screens.
Anyway, I just finished a version that has a option under "settings - misc" called "Adjust for rounded corner screen".

It just adds some free space in the corners. Not necessarily matching the corner inset (because there is no way of telling how much is required), but that is all I can do.

This is a demo build so you can install in parallel without affecting your normal TelloFpv app.
Have no screen isues with my galaxy S7 edge...

I know where my tello is. In an 25m high tree. No way to reach it.
All is not lost! Same thing happened to me on day one (27m) - I got my cricket player son to hurl unripe manderines at it for 2 days until he knocked it loose one meter at a time. Finally tello was back with no broken bones. Now I have 2 tellos ;-)

All is not lost! Same thing happened to me on day one (27m) - I got my cricket player son to hurl unripe manderines at it for 2 days until he knocked it loose one meter at a time. Finally tello was back with no broken bones. Now I have 2 tellos ;-)
I think he eventually got it with a soccer ball.

@volate!lo

Excellent work. I thank you fixing rounded corners screen issue so fast (y)

Your fix works ok, but I'm afraid it needs a bit more free space at the right side to becomes perfect into my smartphone.

Here TelloFPV Rounded Screen setting NOT enabled:

View attachment 4138

Same with Rounded Screen setting enabled:
View attachment 4139
See right bottom green button still partially hidden

By the way, this phone model wear a camera notch in the upper, not used by lot of apps as TelloFPV. Due camera notch a vertical black bar is added at left side of screen in landscape mode. Your new Roundend Corners Adjust is not needed at left side of TelloFPV view.

Thanks a lot !

Raul.

In a phone with notch you will not have problems to the left, but in my case an S9 + if that is a problem especially in the menu, I do not pay much attention to it, it is a matter of the phone that things are cut in the 4 corners

Last edited:
In a phone with notch you will not have problems to the left, but in my case an S9 + if that is a problem especially in the menu, I do not pay much attention to it, it is a matter of the phone that things are cut in the 4 corners
Well, there is currently 4 special display features in phones as far as I can see:

1) Curved edges like the s7 edge
2) Rounded corners
3) Infinity O Display (tiny pinhole for camera)
4) Notch for camera and speaker

The only thing that is detectable is the display notch (4), and only if the phone is running at least Android 9. The other 3 are unsupported by Android, so there is no wayto handle these automatically.
So in the long run app developers just won't use the corners, edges, or pinhole areas for anything useful.

@anielloz,

That's very interesting. Your S9+ has rounded corners but no camera notch, due this design you will suffer rounded corners issue both leftside and rightside when running TelloFPV.

galaxy s9+.jpg

I would like to hear @volate!lo opinion o_O

For sure he will find a fix for all type of rounded corners phone design.

All the best.

Raul
------

Try this one:
it has two options in the "settings - misc" to allow layout in the notch area, and to adjust the layout widthfor the rounded corners

@volate!lo

Wow ! you did it again ;)

"Use display notch area" on/off setting works great, now TelloFPV use void space at left side.

"Adjust for rounded screen" slider fixes rounded corners for wide variety of phone ecosystem. Maybe it need even a bit more travel adjust.

Unfortunatelly I can't attach images now as I would need a second mobile phone to take photo. I'll do it later.

Thanks a lot for your good work (y)

Raul

As promised, here are the images:

First, Notch Area not used, Rounded Corners Adjust to top value:
tellofpv corners.jpg

Another test, Notch Area enabled, Rounded Corners Adjust to zero:
tellofpv notch.jpg

Finally, Notch area enabled, Rounded Corners Adjust to top value:
tellofpv notch and corners.jpg

As you can see, the last one is the best for this specific phone model (Samsung Galaxy A40). Maybe you could allow a bit higher level of Adjustment for Rounded Screen.

From my point of view, you have implemented an excelent solution covering a wide range of phone screen designs . Congratulations ! (y)

All the best.

Raul.

Last edited:
I was flying the Drone about 70 feet away on a 45 degree angle, I was using as a only Wi-Fi extender, Bluetooth turned off and I got disconnected from the drum twice when it wasn't even that far away, it was a total disconnect not a Wi-Fi interference and then it regained its connection after about 7 to 10 seconds which worries me cuz I want a flight a bit further than 70 feet

I was flying the Drone about 70 feet away on a 45 degree angle, I was using as a only Wi-Fi extender, Bluetooth turned off and I got disconnected from the drum twice when it wasn't even that far away, it was a total disconnect not a Wi-Fi interference and then it regained its connection after about 7 to 10 seconds which worries me cuz I want a flight a bit further than 70 feet
Was the phone still connected to the wifi extender, and the wifi extender to the drone? What was the exact message displayed by TelloFpv?

Yesterday I found the time to fly 4 batteries just for fun (instead of testing something). So it was 4 long VR FPV flights with distances of 100-200m in up to 30m altitude. Haven't found a single problem beside some minor issues with AP configuration screens in VR.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv