Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New app: TelloFPV for Android

You have to disable the VR launcher. I remember someone in the FB group posted a link to some (paid) app that can disable it. Or you have to modify the goggle hardware (remove the USB plug).

Or just get some traditional VR headset, in that case just go by test reports and comparisons available on the net.

Hello Volate!lo,

Would it be possible to have a dumb viewer mode on a second device?
I know there is master and student modes, but I'd love to have a second copy of the app running on a tablet to allow my daughter to view what I'm seeing inside my headset. I don't want her to be able to do any control actions though, just view.
It's no big deal, and I'm sure you have lots on with the app anyway, but I thought I'd ask.
It's a great app, has transformed the hobby for me at a very reasonable cost, I'm very grateful!
Thanks!
Breakthrough!

I now have TelloFpv running on one phone, and a special "viewer-only" version on another phone. I haven't measured latency yet but does not seem to have a tremendously negative effect.

Control works only through the main phone running TelloFpv. Both master & student controllers have to be connected to this device. The TelloFpv-Viewer app shows video, telemetry including home position indicator, and a couple of messages that are brokered by Tello (like handland timers and most warnings).
A few things will not be shown on the viewer: the red/green indicators for Video / Sport mode and active controller, autopilot messages, maybe a few more things I haven't thought of yet.

The viewer and main phone both can be put into normal or VR mode independently. So it would be possible to use TelloFpv on the phone in your hands for control, and use another phone with the viewer in the VR goggles. Or use the main phone in VR mode in your goggles, and use a tablet running the viewer for some audience. Or fly with your main phone and let your kids / wife / SO passively enjoy the flight with VR goggles.
All kinds of combinations and use cases are possible.

TelloFpv viewer is completely passive, that is you can't fly Tello with it, can't connect a controller, or trigger any functions or autopilots. The only "function" it will offer is screen recording.

I will need a few days to iron the bugs out, and customize the layout for the TelloFpv Viewer app. So there will be a release in the next few days for the main app, and a new separate Viewer App.

Any smart ideas for the name of the viewer app version? Just TelloFpv Viewer? TelloFpv Slave? TelloFpv Monitor?

Breakthrough!

I now have TelloFpv running on one phone, and a special "viewer-only" version on another phone. I haven't measured latency yet but does not seem to have a tremendously negative effect.

Control works only through the main phone running TelloFpv. Both master & student controllers have to be connected to this device. The TelloFpv-Viewer app shows video, telemetry including home position indicator, and a couple of messages that are brokered by Tello (like handland timers and most warnings).
A few things will not be shown on the viewer: the red/green indicators for Video / Sport mode and active controller, autopilot messages, maybe a few more things I haven't thought of yet.

The viewer and main phone both can be put into normal or VR mode independently. So it would be possible to use TelloFpv on the phone in your hands for control, and use another phone with the viewer in the VR goggles. Or use the main phone in VR mode in your goggles, and use a tablet running the viewer for some audience. Or fly with your main phone and let your kids / wife / SO passively enjoy the flight with VR goggles.
All kinds of combinations and use cases are possible.

TelloFpv viewer is completely passive, that is you can't fly Tello with it, can't connect a controller, or trigger any functions or autopilots. The only "function" it will offer is screen recording.

I will need a few days to iron the bugs out, and customize the layout for the TelloFpv Viewer app. So there will be a release in the next few days for the main app, and a new separate Viewer App.

Any smart ideas for the name of the viewer app version? Just TelloFpv Viewer? TelloFpv Slave? TelloFpv Monitor?
Hey!
¿Why spend a lot on a Phanthom 4 Pro V2 with OcuSync, if you can fly and monitor with Tello and Tello FPV?
Dear Volate!lo...
You are turnig, from excellent to Fantastic!

Would it be too much work to implement a small map in the top left corner of the app showing the live drone position? Something like larger DJI drones have?

I'm aware it wouldn't be 100% accurate.

Would it be too much work to implement a small map in the top left corner of the app showing the live drone position? Something like larger DJI drones have?

I'm aware it wouldn't be 100% accurate.
Would be a lot of work, and gives some headaches.

The question is: Where do the maps come from? Maps need to be preloaded, as there is no internet while connected to Tello. Caching google maps is against their terms of service, so I'd need to get other map sources. Google Maps API does not work with other sources, so I'd have to implement my own map selection and download process, maps cache, provider, display handler, ...

As far as I can see vGPS is a non-seller without the magic FollowMe. About 80 people bought it, which is just over 0,5% of the user base. Overall such a map would be a lot of effort for very few users.

Regarding "TelloFpv Copilot" or whatever the name will be...

I think it would be possible to create cascades. That is one TelloFpv instance is the master, which feeds the first Copilot that connects to it. A second Copilot can connect to the first copilot. A third copilot can connect to the second and so on.
Of course there are limits in terms of wifi throughput, and copilot instances towards the end of the chain have some accumulated lag but that should be bearable (except for VR FPV).

Anyone have use cases for this? Does it make sense to implement? Tello watch parties?

Reactions: xcrost
Would be a lot of work, and gives some headaches.

The question is: Where do the maps come from? Maps need to be preloaded, as there is no internet while connected to Tello. Caching google maps is against their terms of service, so I'd need to get other map sources. Google Maps API does not work with other sources, so I'd have to implement my own map selection and download process, maps cache, provider, display handler, ...

As far as I can see vGPS is a non-seller without the magic FollowMe. About 80 people bought it, which is just over 0,5% of the user base. Overall such a map would be a lot of effort for very few users.

Too bad regarding the purchase numbers :(

I plan to fly my Tello today, and once I finish the testing period, I'm buying vGPS module for sure.

Regarding the map - you are right about the internet thing. I don't know how DJI app has that covered. I guess they bought a licence or something. I'm not sure if other offline apps like HereWeGo Maps offer some embedding options.

I think it would be possible to create cascades. That is one TelloFpv instance is the master, which feeds the first Copilot that connects to it. A second Copilot can connect to the first copilot. A third copilot can connect to the second and so on.
Of course there are limits in terms of wifi throughput, and copilot instances towards the end of the chain have some accumulated lag but that should be bearable (except for VR FPV).

Anyone have use cases for this? Does it make sense to implement? Tello watch parties?

Since the master phone should be without the internet connection (airplane mode) I can see the use of this if you want to stream your feed live to YT of FB. You could use the 2nd phone then :)

Since the master phone should be without the internet connection (airplane mode) I can see the use of this if you want to stream your feed live to YT of FB. You could use the 2nd phone then :)
well, the copilot phones need to be connected to the same network, so would also be without internet connection.

Also, if I wanted to get access to FB streaming I would have to let them test & review my app. That includes sending them sample Tellos, the app, all sources and documentations, descriptions how to use, etc. Guiding a large scale company like FB through this is way too much effort for such a niche feature in a niche app.
Ryze have millions of revenue, they could afford the effort involved, but not me.

Beside: FB just kicked me out - again. And I have no clue why - again. I am pretty much fed up with this social network stuff.

well, the copilot phones need to be connected to the same network, so would also be without internet connection.

Also, if I wanted to get access to FB streaming I would have to let them test & review my app. That includes sending them sample Tellos, the app, all sources and documentations, descriptions how to use, etc. Guiding a large scale company like FB through this is way too much effort for such a niche feature in a niche app.
Ryze have millions of revenue, they could afford the effort involved, but not me.

Beside: FB just kicked me out - again. And I have no clue why - again. I am pretty much fed up with this social network stuff.

Connected via WIFI right? But the second phone can also be connected to the internet via mobile network and stream over mobile instead over wifi? Or am I missing something. Anyway, that was just one example where that clone feature might come in handy.

Regarding the Facebook stream - I think I didn't explain good enough. I didn't think you should implement FB streaming from the app. I'm not sure, but I think I saw some apps that allow streaming your screen to Facebook. Like the ones that allow screen recording, there are some apps that allow streaming your phone screen to Facebook. So you don't need that as an embedded function in your app. I can only think how much hassle that is :)

Don't sweat too much about FB. I think there are more bots doing reviews there than actual people. It's sad.

Connected via WIFI right? But the second phone can also be connected to the internet via mobile network and stream over mobile instead over wifi? Or am I missing something. Anyway, that was just one example where that clone feature might come in handy.

Regarding the Facebook stream - I think I didn't explain good enough. I didn't think you should implement FB streaming from the app. I'm not sure, but I think I saw some apps that allow streaming your screen to Facebook. Like the ones that allow screen recording, there are some apps that allow streaming your phone screen to Facebook. So you don't need that as an embedded function in your app. I can only think how much hassle that is :)

Don't sweat too much about FB. I think there are more bots doing reviews there than actual people. It's sad.
All phones have to be in flight mode. They are all connected to a wifi that does not provide internet access, so they can't use their cellular data at the same time. Well, potentially there are ways around this, but complex and fragile.
So no FB streaming - not through the app itself and also not through a screen caster.

Unfortunately there is a FB TelloFpv group with 650 users now plus a TelloFpv Beta testgroup, and its one of the media that can generate at least some sales. But, these folks now have to do a few days without me. I will get another account next week.
With more and more people using TelloFpv and commenting and doing videos andYT reviews its now fuelling itself. Maybe it was just time to step back a bit.

Last edited:
All phones have to be in flight mode. They are all connected to a wifi that does not provide internet access, so they can't use their cellular data at the same time. Well, potentially there are ways around this, but complex and fragile.
So no FB streaming - not through the app itself and also not through a screen caster.

Unfortunately there is a FB TelloFpv group with 650 users now plus a TelloFpv Beta testgroup, and its one of the media that can generate at least some sales. But, these folks now have to do a few days without me. I will get another account next week.
With more and more people using TelloFpv and commenting and doing videos andYT reviews its now fuelling itself. Maybe it was just time to step back a bit.

Maybe you could open a dedicated TelloFPV YT channel and upload video for each feature? I know that would take time, but thay way you could have best possible presentation of all the features. Most people now rely on fan based videos. This way you could do it all your way.

Stuff like vGPS calibration, teasers of new features etc. YT is really powerful when it comes to traffic.

And maybe consider posting link to your YT channel then in comments sections of reviews like this one: Dji Tello Review - What is the Differences

Yes! I would love the option! I have successfully used "screen mirror" to a Roku for a party but no options to chose VR independently or if you do, it shows on the "party" screen lol. Sounds like I will need a few more headsets with the new set-up. :) Awesome! Thanks Volate!lo!!!!!!!!

Maybe you could open a dedicated TelloFPV YT channel and upload video for each feature? I know that would take time, but thay way you could have best possible presentation of all the features. Most people now rely on fan based videos. This way you could do it all your way.

Stuff like vGPS calibration, teasers of new features etc. YT is really powerful when it comes to traffic.

And maybe consider posting link to your YT channel then in comments sections of reviews like this one: Dji Tello Review - What is the Differences
My main tellofpv email received a lifetime ban at YT before I even posted the first video... and now FB banned me, too. Maybe something to think about. Bad karma?

My main tellofpv email received a lifetime ban at YT before I even posted the first video... and now FB banned me, too. Maybe something to think about. Bad karma?
Now FB too!? I remember back when you told us YT had banned you, still don't know exactly why though, in either case. If I were you I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. I have an unused YT account but have never been on FB.

Reminds me of the Groucho Marx saying "I wouldn't want to join any club that would have me as a member"! :ROFLMAO:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv