Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New app: TelloFPV for Android

After doing some flights with VR goggles (ZEISS VR ONE Plus) I come up with the question if the display of the stereoscopic picture could be adapted to the way like the common VR apps do it. In TelloFPV the pictures in VR Mode are just two exact squares, which results in a strange distorted perspective when looking towards the edges of the view area for example when reading the telemetry at the bottom through the VR device and causes - at least for me - not feeling much comfortable anymore during longer usage.

I think that's why usually the display is not just a square, but rounded like in this example:
vr-view.jpg

Maybe the intensity of the curved edges can be configured in a future version, currently I didn't find any setting for VR mode that influences this distortion.

Another suggestion could be the possibility to bind a controller button to the tap on the autopilot-menu, that it opens and then can be navigated through using the sticks like on setting up the values for a specific autopilot. I know, the APs can be linked already directly to certain keys, but sometimes it is easier to remember only one key binding instead of having all 5 or 6 in mind, or to find it blind if you can't look at the controller as you have the VR Goggles on your head.
I tried vr with lens correction but rendering speed was to slow on the cardboard api. Other api require much fancier phones than the current approach. If i required people to have a decent android 8 phone more than half of the users would be left behind.

Ap menu on button makes sense!

Reactions: AnGo
Other api require much fancier phones than the current approach.
Ok, thanks for the feedback, I get your point (although I wonder if there are phones in the market that run on Android <8 that already have a screen with a dpi high enough for physically compatibility with VR goggles - as they otherwise anyway only get a kaleidoscope experience instead of a 3D view).
Would it be worth to add this approach as a kind of add-on that is only available via Play Store for phones that have the requirements to be able to run with this special API while the rest can use the current solution?

I understand that you want to protect your apps from piracy, but this decision is only hurting legitimate users. Pirates will just use a cracked version, for legit users that's not an option.

I buy all my apps. I do not have Lucky Patcher or anything that modifies the Play Store, and I disabled Adaway, and yet I still can't use your app which I purchased with my own money, and it's too late to refund it, as I bought it weeks ago assuming it would actually work when I decided I wanted to fly the Tello. Meanwhile, most pirates would never even run into this issue, they would simply download a cracked apk file.
I'm not sure if your app is detecting my root or what, but in any case that leaves me the only option of pirating your app if I want to use it, because you won't let me use it legitimately. See the problem with that?
The only apps with this kind of behavior are ones where having a rooted device might actually matter for security purposes like banking apps, or games or apps with some sort or online functionality where memory editing or GPS spoofing using root apps can be a legitimate concern. It makes no sense for an app like this.
Besides, you don't need root nor Lucky Patcher nor a modified play store to pirate stuff. All you need is a cracked apk.

By the way, I think you misunderstood something about ad blockers. They are against the Play Store policies which means they aren't allowed to be listed there. However, sideloading of apps in Android is completely legitimate and officially supported, and there is no policy saying you aren't allowed to sideload any app you like, that would be going against the openness of Android. That simply applies to listing apps on Google Play itself. Having an ad blocker installed on your phone is not in violation of any policies. And with how obnoxious ads get nowadays, I don't think I could live without one. Can you really blame people for using ad blockers? Are those really the people you should be going after?
What does the Play Store have to do with ad blockers anyway? Nothing, that's what. They severed all ties to ad blockers a while ago and simply want nothing to do with them. Probably due to pressure from developers complaining that people could just download an app from the Play Store and bypass the ads in their app and they wouldn't get paid. Or even Google itself deciding to make that change. Which is understandable, as they also own AdMob, all the while they were enabling blocking of their own ads by allowing such apps.

I do not understand why the app tellofpv on a phone with root and ad blockers does not work, my main phone is a Samsung S9 + without root and in an S4-i9500 I have it with a family account and the S4 has root, a custom rom made by my, ad blockers and how much modified app may exist, and the tellofpv app works correctly, the license verification, the ALL updates, in fact the S4 does not even have a sim card only works with wifi, so I can not explain why you say it does not work for you

So the vGPS does not work at all in Tello or does it influence anything? is that I'm out of Tello and I'm seeing if it's worth buying another for that function, nothing more ...
In my opinion Vgps works great for simple flight plans but If you intent to use Vgps to fly around a whole battery going back and forward, making lots of turns and using fast speeds the vps will get confused, and if you are familiar with the RTH function you know this will happen. As Vgps depend on vps to work it will acumulate errors and give you wrong positioning. The simpler the flight, the better it works. If you want to buy another tello for whatever reason do it but I personally wouldn't buy one just for the vgps. Don't get me wrong, I have two tellos but one is still in the box as a backup, the older one as gone through some motors and works fine but I'm guessing it won't last forever.
P.s. And i do use vgps and don't regret it, but you must expect some limitations, this is a tello not a spark ;).

Ok, thanks for the feedback, I get your point (although I wonder if there are phones in the market that run on Android <8 that already have a screen with a dpi high enough for physically compatibility with VR goggles - as they otherwise anyway only get a kaleidoscope experience instead of a 3D view).
Would it be worth to add this approach as a kind of add-on that is only available via Play Store for phones that have the requirements to be able to run with this special API while the rest can use the current solution?
Well, i can see from the statistics that vr is a niche use lf the app. I never bothered to look deep enough into the stats to understand how many vr users have modern phones vs older phones. But while i can understand the wish for distortion correction we are only talking about a handful of users who would use it. Personally i find the distortion a bit annoying but get used to it.
I do not understand why the app tellofpv on a phone with root and ad blockers does not work, my main phone is a Samsung S9 + without root and in an S4-i9500 I have it with a family account and the S4 has root, a custom rom made by my, ad blockers and how much modified app may exist, and the tellofpv app works correctly, the license verification, the ALL updates, in fact the S4 does not even have a sim card only works with wifi, so I can not explain why you say it does not work for you
Tellofpv does not care about root or ad-blockers. It just does not work if the playstore has been modified to falsely grant access to apps that the user has not purchased. Even if the user has actually purchased the app i can't reliably validate this.
But i just don't support these shady installations. Both ad blockers and a modified play store only serve to deprive developers from their revenue.

In my opinion Vgps works great for simple flight plans but If you intent to use Vgps to fly around a whole battery going back and forward, making lots of turns and using fast speeds the vps will get confused, and if you are familiar with the RTH function you know this will happen. As Vgps depend on vps to work it will acumulate errors and give you wrong positioning. The simpler the flight, the better it works. If you want to buy another tello for whatever reason do it but I personally wouldn't buy one just for the vgps. Don't get me wrong, I have two tellos but one is still in the box as a backup, the older one as gone through some motors and works fine but I'm guessing it won't last forever.
P.s. And i do use vgps and don't regret it, but you must expect some limitations, this is a tello not a spark ;).
That sums it up nicely!
Best point about vgps is IMO the 'last known position' marker for long distance fpv flights.

But it certainly isn't a reason to buy a tello

That sums it up nicely!
Best point about vgps is IMO the 'last known position' marker for long distance fpv flights.

But it certainly isn't a reason to buy a tello

I really want to buy another tello, not for the vGPS, I know it is mentioned.

but it's really because I had a bad experience with the first one, since this wine was defective but until now I realize it 1 year later, and now I find this super well developed app, in fact I flyed my defective Tello with this app and I can say that I was somewhat better but in case I failed, in fact I dare say that for that "defect of the drone" I almost have an accident, because the problem of my drone to date I do not know what it is or was because the drone was I screw the button on and off and well the drone of nothing was starting to lose speed when I wanted to move or I did not answer the control of the phone to the point that it crashed because I could never control it with the phone, this drone really left me something of trauma with insecurity when flying. I hope this new one changes my bad concept of this drone

PD: I congratulate the creator of this App since in truth he has worked hard to create this app for the Tello similar to DJI GO 4 features. It is a disspoint that the drone's firmware is not released to make modifications because if that firmware were open for all I already I imagine the giant change that this App had already had with the Drone. this app I have some problems with the stabilization of video, and nothing starts moving, I do not know if it is also because of the drone that was defective or is the app itself, Greetings to all.

@volate!lo

After some weeks off I came back to the flying field :)

Yesterday, I flew for the first time TelloFPV version v1.4c

Unfortunatelly I noticed Video smoothness has worsened when comparing previous recordings taken in June using older versions of TelloFPV

Now I can see flicker / stutter, noticeable on mobile object like cars or walkers. It didn't exists in my June recordings.

I'm using a iframe value of 500ms since may, when v1.10 fixed low iframes problems (see here New app: TelloFPV )

I can remember this problem came back some weeks ago and you had to fix it again. Maybe it happend again ?

Thanks a lot

Raul.

Reactions: xcrost
@volate!lo

Unfortunatelly I noticed Video smoothness has worsened when comparing previous recordings taken in June using older versions of TelloFPV

Now I can see flicker / stutter, noticeable on mobile object like cars or walkers. It didn't exists in my June recordings.

I'm using a iframe value of 500ms since may, when v1.10 fixed low iframes problems (see here New app: TelloFPV )

I can remember this problem came back some weeks ago and you had to fix it again. Maybe it happend again ?

Thanks a lot

Raul.
I noticed a loss also. I can only use 3mbps now. 4 is lousy.

Reactions: raulvolador
@volate!lo

Thanks a lot

Raul.
Can you check if there is a difference in quality between audio recording on or off?
I improved the error detection a while ago, and Iframe should now be at least 3-5s for most uses, unless you notice long lasting artifacts.

I'd appreciate if you could send me video examples of both versions

Can you check if there is a difference in quality between audio recording on or off?
I improved the error detection a while ago, and Iframe should now be at least 3-5s for most uses, unless you notice long lasting artifacts.

I'd appreciate if you could send me video examples of both versions

@volate!lo,

Video examples were sent to you using forum private conversation feature. By the way, I always set Audio Recording off when flying.

After reviewing images I suspect high bitrates, and specifically AUTO bitrate can be part of the problem.

It's clear more flight test needed, I hope to be able to perform them next days. Of course, I'll follow your 3-5s iFrame periods advice.

But sadly, this issue is a bit subjetive and not easy to measure.

Raul.

Reactions: xcrost
Hi,

i am getting some jitter in video recording bitrate 4mbps,iframe interval 1 sec.

what is the best setting to use for different bit rates.

The application is great. Found YouTube Video from an drone expert. Tried it and bought it. It works great and is easy to use.

Reactions: volate!lo
Hi,

i am getting some jitter in video recording bitrate 4mbps,iframe interval 1 sec.

what is the best setting to use for different bit rates.
Hard to tell but as a rule of thumb: Close range high bitrate for best video, for longer range lower bitrate for better stability and less interference.
Iframe intervals depend if you have long lasting jitter or just for a few milliseconds. If long lasting jitter reduce the iframe period.

No. If TelloFpv had this function many users would make the app responsible whenever tello drops out of the air (which happens within some drones regardless of the app being used) .

May be usefull before tello hits a tree, a wall or high voltage wires. For me its better drop out of the sky.

Btw, telloFPV is a great app... Good work.

May be usefull before tello hits a tree, a wall or high voltage wires. For me its better drop out of the sky.

Btw, telloFPV is a great app... Good work.
@Alxmota,

For obstacle avoidance you could use TelloFPV "STOP" button.

It works great for freezing a moving Tello in the middle of the air, as it cancells all of their side movements.

tellofpv stop.jpg

I love this button for soft landings during windy days into little spaces, as my roof terrace. You can map STOP button to any controller key for emergency use.

All the best

Raul
--------

@Alxmota,

For obstacle avoidance you could use TelloFPV "STOP" button.

It works great for freezing a moving Tello in the middle of the air, as it cancells all of their side movements.

View attachment 4411

I love this button for soft landings during windy days into little spaces, as my roof terrace. You can map STOP button to any controller key for emergency use.

All the best

Raul
--------
Thanks Raul... But how to freezing a moving tello in a windy day? Hehe

With a "Panic button" we could save tello.

I tried all kinds of binary commands and there is no 'motor shutoff' command. I could reset the drone midflight but as said, the problem is that average noob users will make this function responsible for anything bad that happens to their tello.

I learned a lot with this app. Sometimes its better not to implement a useful function because of stupid users giving negative reviews and low ratings.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv