Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New app: TelloFPV for Android

Every day businesses large and small leave markets if revenue and effort don't have a positive correlation. Simple equation.

I tried TelloFPV demo on PC running android via BlissOS x86, and it seems to work fine. The Tello is a gift so I cant yet fly it or someone will hear it, but the video feed comes in fine. This is in contrast to the official DJI Tello app which simply crashes during connection to Tello. Curiously, DJI Go 4 also works and can fly Mavic even in WiFi mode which is downright silly.

Looking forward to buying the paid TelloFPV version once Santa is done!

Happy Birthday TelloFPV!

Actually a few days late, this thread was started on 12-16-18...

I remember downloading the first available Beta (0.4 I think?).

From beta downloads to a production version in the Play Store in about 6 weeks! (before the end of January 2019)... then, full-featured and mature in about 6 months! (before volate!lo went on holiday in July).

It's been truly fun watching the development from birth, and feature after feature be added and polished - the ones he wanted, and many of those that were asked for by us.

Happy Birthday TelloFPV!

From beta downloads to a production version in the Play Store in about 6 weeks! (before the end of January 2019)... then, full-featured and mature in about 6 months! (before volate!lo went on holiday in July).

It's been truly fun watching the development from birth, and feature after feature be added and polished - the ones he wanted, and many of those that were asked for by us.
(y) ? ????? not all heroes wear capes, but ours can fly as well lol

Happy Birthday TelloFPV!

Thank you!! Also thanks to all others for their continued support!

I think you are correct that 0.4 was the first beta.
Actually the first production version was made available on Play Store on the early morning of Dec 24th, around 3am local time and I had to drive 400km to a family gathering for Xmas the next morning :-(
The first license was purchase just an hour later by a guy in Austin, Texas. Must have been someone on the forum

Luckily I added license validation very early in the process, even though it was my first app and I was a bit naive. Otherwise TelloFpv would would be a dead orphaned project by now due to all the piracy going on. Yes, its that bad - just look at aTelloPilot.

But Xmas season is good, as app downloads have gone up again after slowly dropping over several months. Well, Tello certainly isn't new anymore and this effect is no surprise.

Overall TelloFpv is pretty much feature complete, has good ratings and all is well. There is only one major feature that I still want to implement: Flight path recording and replay, where Tello follows a known track and the user can focus on rotating Tello to make good videos.

So its time to get to new shores...and since we are a bit in celebration mood let me spoiler the next app. This time the apple folks will have something to play with.

Actually I am a bit late for Xmas, but this time its not my fault:

The project name is TelloMe !
(OK, the name is not ideal, if you have a better one let me know ASAP!)

Its not a TelloFpv for Apple. Its an app that uses computer vision to make Tello track & follow almost anything. Nothing else. Just tracking. Sounds simple!

Overall the app will have a very simplified user interface and no features beyond tracking. Maybe I will add a visual "circle me" but thats it. No advanced features, no controller support, no photo mode, no RTH, nothing. Just follow me.
I may be biased but I think its better to keep it simple focused for the apple users ;-)

It can track a face, or a group of faces.
It can track a person, or a group of persons.
It can track arbitrary objects: you draw a rectangle on the screen around something and tello hooks onto this.

For groups of faces / persons it tries to track the "weighted visual center" (no clue if there is a real term for this). If say three people are in view walking on the left side of the road and one person on the right, Tello will track a point more towards the 3 people on the left.

The app is ready for beta testing, but apple is a bit ... "different". They try to keep their walled garden of happiness and boredom clean. There is no reasonable way to distribute test versions except through their distribution mechanisms. So I have to "publish" even for beta testing, and the folks at Apple actually test not only production but also beta versions (seems real humans are doing this !?).
The app was just released to Apple for initial testing but Apple will shutdown their testing teams tomorrow for Xmas. I have no clue how long this process will take or how many rounds I will need to get approval. More so as they may ask me to send in a Tello drone for testing :-(

The following screenshots are made filming some youtube videos, so picture quality is pretty low. Overall video quality is on par with TelloFpv.

Here is the normal flight interface
normal flight.png

The track mode selection
track modes.png

Tracking a person
track person.png

And an object (OK, its a horse but most other objects don't move slowly enough)
track object.png

I will create a separate thread once Apple has approved the initial version for beta and someone can actually test it

Last edited:
I forgot:
This time the core logic of the app is generic and can be used as a base for not only IOS but also Android apps. So there is a chance for an Android version. Sadly all user interface as well as all computer vision is platform specific, so its not an easy port but still development.
I will look into this, but I have the feeling that this won't perform adequate on most phones so I'd have to limit access to folks with pretty recent phones (maybe S7 / S8 or later).
Computer vision in realtime is a heavy task

HI
Will TelloFPV legal Flyers get this App ( discount / free )
??
Follow me (TelloMe)...what will be the speed limit of follow up
bicycle ride? Or Walking speed ?

Tx 4 Great work ...
Guy

I am not sure if / when it will be available on Android at all. I will look into this in January.
The app will be priced lower than TelloFpv as its an app for just one thing: Active Track

Tracking works in slow / video mode only, so is limited to just above 2 m/s ( good walking speed or very slow bicycle ride). The app won't have a sport mode at all, also no stop button.

Its not your daily fly app with all bells and whistles, but just a simple Follow Me

Hi, I bought the app on the same day I purchased my drone, its awesome!

Is it possible to control the drone via Windows 10 (i.e. a laptop) whilst using the phone in VR mode?

Thanks

Hi, I bought the app on the same day I purchased my drone, its awesome!

Is it possible to control the drone via Windows 10 (i.e. a laptop) whilst using the phone in VR mode?

Thanks
no. I fail to see how this would be useful ? :unsure:

EDIT: maybe but not straight forward. I read of some user who ran tellofpv in a windows emulator blissOs. One could probably use this emulator and the phone running TelloFpv Copilot to display the VR stream.
Configuration will be hard, and there is too many question marks,I don't think it will work well, or be useful.

Last edited:
no. I fail to see how this would be useful ? :unsure:

EDIT: maybe but not straight forward. I read of some user who ran tellofpv in a windows emulator blissOs. One could probably use this emulator and the phone running TelloFpv Copilot to display the VR stream.
Configuration will be hard, and there is too many question marks,I don't think it will work well, or be useful.

Just managed to install Android within Virtual box - tellofpv installed and ran within my virtual android device. I failed at the final hurdle though - the virtual android device is using a 'Virtual-Wifi' therefore is accessing WiFi via the computer.... Hmm, just had a thought - if I connect the LAPTOP wi-fi to my tello - perhaps the virtual android device will connect to it - thus allowing me to control the tello from my wired XBoxone controller. Convoluted I know..... ;)

My wifes treating me to a bluetooth controller thats compatible with the native app on ... the phone! Cheers.

Last edited:
emulator connects to simulated network, which can be bridged to the laptop wifi.
The laptop wifi needs to connect to an extender, which in turn connects to tello.

Without extender no TelloFpv Copilot.

Слeйтe этo гoвнo и купитe мaвик :ROFLMAO:, a aвтoр -гoвнoeд, рaз нe прeдocтaвил для рoccийcкoгo pынкa.

Слeйтe этo гoвнo и купитe мaвик :ROFLMAO:, a aвтoр -гoвнoeд, рaз нe прeдocтaвил для рoccийcкoгo pынкa.

I am an "Author-shiteater"? :poop: Calling me names does not really support your case.

I know there are many nice & friendly people in Russia, but its folks like you who constantly confirm my decision to leave these markets.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jpothi