Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New here - Home Assistant integreation

omri

Reaction score
hi guys.
is there anyone here who successfully integrated Tello with Home Assistant?
my idea is to set a command to tello to fly to the center of the livingroom and search for intruder when the alarm activated...
i dont have the knowledge but im starting to learn...any tips?
thanks!

Do you have the skills required?
You will need excellent programming skills (I mean real programming with bits and bytes, computer vision, UDP networking, video decoding, etc - _not_ scripting ) and some electronics skills (for power management).

Do you have the skills required?
You will need excellent programming skills (I mean real programming with bits and bytes, computer vision, UDP networking, video decoding, etc - _not_ scripting ) and some electronics skills (for power management).

Its simpler then you think...Home Assistant support node-red ?‍♂️

Its simpler then you think...Home Assistant support node-red ?‍♂️
Oh, OK. Then just do it! (y)

I just wonder how node red will decode h264 video from a UDP stream. And will find the intruder for you using computer vision and machine learning. It will also direct Tello to the center of a room without knowning Tello's true direction or position. And it will also flash a new Tello firmware that allows Tello to charge while being powered up - or powers up Tello while being charged. And it will cool Tello reliably while being powered up.

No. Node Red is completely useless for this task. Its not programming - its not even scripting. Node Red is like drone blocks for simple automation tasks. You can use it for automating the tasks that happen _after_ the Tello surveillance program has done it's job. Something like "interuder found => turn on lights and play soundfile".

This project is not simpler than I think - I have a pretty sound idea whats involved. But it's far more complex than you can imagine.

If you want to proceed: have a look at any existing tello control library (or the mother of all: tellolib), then get wireshark up and running and work from there.

I'll give it a shot...

images

Reactions: omri and volate!lo
Oh, OK. Then just do it! (y)

I just wonder how node red will decode h264 video from a UDP stream. And will find the intruder for you using computer vision and machine learning. It will also direct Tello to the center of a room without knowning Tello's true direction or position. And it will also flash a new Tello firmware that allows Tello to charge while being powered up - or powers up Tello while being charged. And it will cool Tello reliably while being powered up.

No. Node Red is completely useless for this task. Its not programming - its not even scripting. Node Red is like drone blocks for simple automation tasks. You can use it for automating the tasks that happen _after_ the Tello surveillance program has done it's job. Something like "interuder found => turn on lights and play soundfile".

This project is not simpler than I think - I have a pretty sound idea whats involved. But it's far more complex than you can imagine.

If you want to proceed: have a look at any existing tello control library (or the mother of all: tellolib), then get wireshark up and running and work from there.

Maybe i didnt explained myself well... the detection of intruder is based on my xiaomi sensors which connected to the HA, when trigerred it will command the tello to fly to the center of the room and take photos while turning back and fors in a 180 angle...thats it...no detection no streaming... simple fly forward ->take photos -> rotate 90°-> take photos and vice versa...but u sounds like someone whos knows much better so anymore tips will be great...ofcourse its all just a challenge i could have made it with a regular cam...?‍♂️

i could have made it with a regular cam...?‍♂️
That's what I was thinking at the first of this thread. A Wi-Fi camera with motion detector and you could see a live video feed on your smartphone... but:

ofcourse its all just a challenge
Now it's beginning to sound like something I would do LOL... and a lot of other folks here who like to play with electronics, modify drones, build computers, root phones, build DIY security systems, etc. etc.

Good luck!

Reactions: omri
Well, you wrote "and search for intruder" which implies actively searching for it. Not just taking random photos. In that case ignore the part about computer vision and machine learning.

If you want photos you can't use the SDK, you have to use binary communication. Or you have to do streaming and grab still images from the video feed, but these will be of greatly reduced quality compared to real photos.

Reactions: omri
Well, you wrote "and search for intruder" which implies actively searching for it. Not just taking random photos. In that case ignore the part about computer vision and machine learning.

If you want photos you can't use the SDK, you have to use binary communication. Or you have to do streaming and grab still images from the video feed, but these will be of greatly reduced quality compared to real photos.

Us there anyway to use the node-red to send still photos from Tello to telegram?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
97bugsinthecode