Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

new iOS App: TelloFpv ... finally!

volate!lo

Reaction score
I am pleased to announce that TelloFpv is now available on iOS app store. It's not an exact port of TelloFpv Android but a very close sibling.
But a few difference exist, mostly because I don't want to repeat the same mistakes again :)

Feature set:

* Enhanced telemetry (distance, altitude, pitch & roll indicators)
* Home indicator
* Trainer mode: Handover an external BT controller to someone else and keep the phone so you can overrule the other person's input anytime
* Three flight profiles: Sport mode - video mode - cine mode
* Wired and wireless gamepad controllers
* Flexible stick & button mapping, mode 1-4
* Autopilots: RTH, Circle & Lock POI, Dronies, 360s, panorama
* Full PDF manual included in App!
* Headless mode & Cruise Control
* Flight log

So most of the features are there, the following will be delivered via updates in the next weeks:
  • Support for VR goggles FPV with adjustable views
In terms of external controllers it should support any gamepad your iOS supports (check with a gamepad tester app!), plus T1D, T1S and Flypad.
Recommended controllers:
Wired: Gamevice works perfect but the tiny sticks could use some extensions.
BT: Flypad is a different level for stick precision and linearity compared to normal gamepads. But it's BT with all the problems associated.

Please Note: TelloFpv Copilot and vGPS are not supported. The app and manual are english only.

Last edited:
I have been trying it out in the basement. Brought new life to the Tello. My first drone was/is the mavic mini and the Tello feels like a cheap toy compared to it. With your app and a controller it is so much more fun to fly, your app actually saved me from selling the Tello. I may buy the flypad controller for more precision over my current TD1 controller. My only request would be for some grid lines much like the mavic mini has. It makes it much easier to line up the drone when squeezing through tight spaces. Great job and thanks for all the work you have done thus far. Well worth the money.

Reactions: volate!lo
Loving the app thus far. Is there a VR mode that I can’t find a setting for?

No. Not yet.
Just released an update today. More to come.

First I'll do Flight Logs, then VR mode. Should be there in two weeks I guess.

Are use the app on my iPad Mini. Unfortunately besides the joysticks none of the other buttons respond on my T1D. Do I need to reprogram them? One suggestion would be to revamp the on screen icons as they’re quite bulky.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are use the app on my iPad Mini. Unfortunately besides the joysticks none of the other buttons respond on my T1D. Do I need to reprogram them? One suggestion would be to revamp the on screen icons as they’re quite bulky.

ugh, you are right. somehow I messed up the scaling. Next release will fix that, monday it should be ready.

T1D should work, but with a different mapping. Check the controller settings, also you can do the re-mapping there to your liking

Reactions: EETWiz
I purchased the Gamevice for my iPad mini 5 as well as the Backbone controller for my iPhone. Neither work properly in PFV but work properly in the native app. I either don’t receive real time video or the controller buttons don’t respond.

I know it’s a work in progress so I will continue to give you feedback if receptive.

Wow! Great news for us iOS users! I have been waiting for this for a long time. I have purchased the app and have briefly tried it out. I love getting the flight telemetry. My Tello has not been getting used much lately probably because the stock app is featureless. Now TelloFPV has breathed new life into the Tello and made it much more useful and more like a real drone. Worth every penny!

I'm using it with a GameSir T1D and it is working fine so far although I haven't tried all the buttons and features yet. I did have to calibrate my controller sticks as I was getting up-drift on my left stick. Usually with the stock Tello app you push the Y + the R2 button to launch/land the drone. With TelloFPV it says to push the Y button. I found neither method worked to start the props and launch the drone but it did bring up a dialogue box asking if I wanted to launch but when selecting yes, nothing happened. I just used both 'sticks in to centre and down' to turn on motors then take-off.

Winter is in full swing here so opportunities to fly outside are limited and Tello doesn't like the white featureless whiteness of snow so it will be hard for me to test other features until later.

One of the things I use my other DJI drones for is taking panos so the automated pano feature is something I am looking forward to trying out. With TelloFPV it should be even easier to do multi-row panos now - take one row, then move up or down and take another row then stitch together in post for a large wide angle shot.

Thanks @volate!lo for this new software for iOS! Looking forward to trying out all the new features.

Chris

I purchased the Gamevice for my iPad mini 5 as well as the Backbone controller for my iPhone. Neither work properly in PFV but work properly in the native app. I either don’t receive real time video or the controller buttons don’t respond.

I know it’s a work in progress so I will continue to give you feedback if receptive.

I think I found the problem. Some stupid mistake on my side causes TelloFpv to register for controller event multiple times. If one played a bit with the controller settings page this could overload the system with thousands of stick position reports, calculations and screen updates - per second!

If you are on Testflight please try the v1.1.3 build 14 that I released yesterday. Otherwise just wait another day for it to show up in app store.
Sadly Apple starts funny things, now they want me to send a demo video to their review team for each release.

Controller buttons may need mapping in the controller settings page.

Wow! Great news for us iOS users! I have been waiting for this for a long time. I have purchased the app and have briefly tried it out. I love getting the flight telemetry. My Tello has not been getting used much lately probably because the stock app is featureless. Now TelloFPV has breathed new life into the Tello and made it much more useful and more like a real drone. Worth every penny!

I'm using it with a GameSir T1D and it is working fine so far although I haven't tried all the buttons and features yet. I did have to calibrate my controller sticks as I was getting up-drift on my left stick. Usually with the stock Tello app you push the Y + the R2 button to launch/land the drone. With TelloFPV it says to push the Y button. I found neither method worked to start the props and launch the drone but it did bring up a dialogue box asking if I wanted to launch but when selecting yes, nothing happened. I just used both 'sticks in to centre and down' to turn on motors then take-off.

Winter is in full swing here so opportunities to fly outside are limited and Tello doesn't like the white featureless whiteness of snow so it will be hard for me to test other features until later.

One of the things I use my other DJI drones for is taking panos so the automated pano feature is something I am looking forward to trying out. With TelloFPV it should be even easier to do multi-row panos now - take one row, then move up or down and take another row then stitch together in post for a large wide angle shot.

Thanks @volate!lo for this new software for iOS! Looking forward to trying out all the new features.

Chris
Weather is my problem here, too. I can only briefly test outside, most tests happen in my office or living room. But the good thing is with the iOS version I can tune the autopilots remotely, so I don't have to release a new version just because I found better PID parameters.

Reactions: Chrislaf
Installed the latest version and you’ve fixed my controller issues as well as adjusted the on screen display. I did attempt to review the manual to learn about some of the menu changes but I wasn’t able to open it on my tablet.

Do you have a URL of your manual as you update it?

Installed the latest version and you’ve fixed my controller issues as well as adjusted the on screen display. I did attempt to review the manual to learn about some of the menu changes but I wasn’t able to open it on my tablet.

Do you have a URL of your manual as you update it?

Correct, the manual is missing. strange ...

I will update the app today and make sure its included.

I think the option to remove the on screen joysticks while using a controller disappeared as well.

I think the option to remove the on screen joysticks while using a controller disappeared as well.

Check out settings and then controls. It gives you an option to determine how many seconds go by before the on screen joysticks disappear. It’s a plus or minus box.

Reactions: volate!lo
Check out settings and then controls. It gives you an option to determine how many seconds go by before the on screen joysticks disappear. It’s a plus or minus box.

Correct, I made this more flexible.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv