Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New Tello owner

Dwight

Reaction score
Name is Dwight Lee ( old guy ) retired. Saw my older brothers toy drone ( little $35 toy ) and had a blast with it. Started researching drones ( that ended up days watching You Tube Videos ) and so knew that I will someday want A DJI Spark, Macvic Air or possibly a Mavic 2. But to start with I want to play around a bit, purchased a Tello. Having a blast with it. For a $100 drone this thing is amazing. Using a Samsung Galaxy S9 + and I know folks have had trouble but it is working for me ( except VR, picture is not centered the same on both sides ) other than that, controller works, phone works... no problems. The little Drone has exceeded my expectations.

Reactions: Kyle Knox
Welcome to the forum .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup

Name is Dwight Lee ( old guy ) retired. Saw my older brothers toy drone ( little $35 toy ) and had a blast with it. Started researching drones ( that ended up days watching You Tube Videos ) and so knew that I will someday want A DJI Spark, Macvic Air or possibly a Mavic 2. But to start with I want to play around a bit, purchased a Tello. Having a blast with it. For a $100 drone this thing is amazing. Using a Samsung Galaxy S9 + and I know folks have had trouble but it is working for me ( except VR, picture is not centered the same on both sides ) other than that, controller works, phone works... no problems. The little Drone has exceeded my expectations.

It's good that you liked it, but if you want another experience that you're going to feel that it's another totally different drone, install the Tellofpv app, that turns the little Tello into another level

Reactions: umanbean
The little Drone has exceeded my expectations.
Agree 100%
The little drone with a BIG heart! :)

It's good that you liked it, but if you want another experience that you're going to feel that it's another totally different drone, install the Tellofpv app, that turns the little Tello into another level
I also agree 100% with that.
The TelloFPV app does indeed elevate it to a new level.
Best 5 bucks you'll spend on Tello. There's a free demo version in the Play Store and several threads on this forum discussing it

Last edited:
" I will someday want A DJI Spark, Macvic Air or possibly a Mavic 2"...there is a world beyond DJI where corporate imposed No Fly Zones don't exist...just saying :).

Reactions: volate!lo
I have used FPV with a simple VR headset ( using my wifes phone, my own phone a Samsung S9+ will do everything except VR as the pictures are not centered ) but that was just using the Tello app in VR mode.... does the Tellofpv app offer something different? If so I am interested.

.... Never mind, just looked it up, and watched a You Tube Video... looks nice... I will be installing that

Last edited:
Try the demo, has vr mode. Difference is you can adjust the eye view size and position to match your phone and eyes, giving the problems you had with your phone.

" I will someday want A DJI Spark, Macvic Air or possibly a Mavic 2"...there is a world beyond DJI where corporate imposed No Fly Zones don't exist...just saying :).

Just looked that up, not sure why that should worry me, I will be contacting the airport whenever I fly within 5 mines ( have already installed Be4UFly and Airmaps ) , and the DJI zones are tighter even than that. I see how that could be a problem for some, but probably will not be a problem for me. I am just flying for fun, and the last thing I want to do is be flying that close to an airport, in a national park or what have you. I may be misunderstanding what you meant. But from what I have seen, I will not have an issue with that where I live.

Today I started a bit more in depth, calibrated the little drone ( although It didnt need it ) just to go though the steps, trying to learn as much as I can. The thing amazes me for the price. This would be THE beginner drone I would recommend to a friend. Yesterday I took it out in the wind.... put it in "fast" and it held better than I thought it would. This thing keeps exceeding my expectations.

Try the demo, has vr mode. Difference is you can adjust the eye view size and position to match your phone and eyes, giving the problems you had with your phone.
Not sorry about the purchase ( I want this app anyway ) but same issue, the picture for each eye is not quite centered the same ( same with the Tello App ) There is a double vision, it is fine with my wife's phone. Tried a google cardboard app on my phone, works fine, so it isnt the phone or the goggles, it is the app ( or the tello ) and how it interacts with this phone ( which is not on the compatible list ). I knew that when I purchased the Tello, so no huge disappointment yet. Still going to fiddle with it, I would like it if I didnt have to steal my wife's phone to do FPV

Not sorry about the purchase ( I want this app anyway ) but same issue, the picture for each eye is not quite centered the same ( same with the Tello App ) There is a double vision, it is fine with my wife's phone. Tried a google cardboard app on my phone, works fine, so it isnt the phone or the goggles, it is the app ( or the tello ) and how it interacts with this phone ( which is not on the compatible list ). I knew that when I purchased the Tello, so no huge disappointment yet. Still going to fiddle with it, I would like it if I didnt have to steal my wife's phone to do FPV
Sometimes nfz are ridiculous, like being banned to fly within miles off some military installations that is in fact just a car park for derelict old jeeps.
Our being banned to fly indoors within miles of an airport, or because some political summit is held a few miles away. That sort of thing can ruin the fun.

It's like my car refusing to drive where i want because some politician is nearby... sooner or later we will see this sort of thing

Sometimes nfz are ridiculous, like being banned to fly within miles off some military installations that is in fact just a car park for derelict old jeeps.
Our being banned to fly indoors within miles of an airport, or because some political summit is held a few miles away. That sort of thing can ruin the fun.

It's like my car refusing to drive where i want because some politician is nearby... sooner or later we will see this sort of thing

That makes sense

Sorry, missed that post. You can make your own phone work in VR, no problem.

Not a problem of hello or the app but just phone display size. The root cause is the centre of the images need to be as far apart as your pupils are. Your wife's phone happens to be roughly the right display size, but yours is likely too big.

In the ryze app you can't change the images so it won't work, but in tellofpv you can.

There is a button at the centre bottom of the VR screen which opens a dialog to modify the image sizes and positions for the eyes. You want to change the horizontal position to match your inter-pupillary distance.
Best done with tello connected. To avoid overheating just start the motors first: both stocks inside& down for a second

It's a bit cumbersome because you have to change the values and put it in the goggles to try the new settings, then take out too tweak settings further, but once it's done you don't have to repeat that process again.

Reactions: Dwight
Sorry, missed that post. You can make your own phone work in VR, no problem.

Not a problem of hello or the app but just phone display size. The root cause is the centre of the images need to be as far apart as your pupils are. Your wife's phone happens to be roughly the right display size, but yours is likely too big.

In the ryze app you can't change the images so it won't work, but in tellofpv you can.

There is a button at the centre bottom of the VR screen which opens a dialog to modify the image sizes and positions for the eyes. You want to change the horizontal position to match your inter-pupillary distance.
Best done with tello connected. To avoid overheating just start the motors first: both stocks inside& down for a second

It's a bit cumbersome because you have to change the values and put it in the goggles to try the new settings, then take out too tweak settings further, but once it's done you don't have to repeat that process again.

What I dont understand is why I do not have the problem with a Google Cardboard app, same phone, same headset same IPD. I did find the settings you were talking about, and messed with them some, I will try further.

Ta Da! You were correct I have it 90% resolved, just need to fine tune it in

Last edited:
Dialed in, so now there appears to be everything working with a phone that is not listed as compatible ( Galaxy S9 + ) as long as I use this new app as the FTV app. Very cool

Of course the ryze sheet is not the last word on compatibility.
The cardboard apps use a predefined ipd setting that works for most users. They have a massive database of phone settings that i don't have, so you have to tweak it manually until it works. But it does work for every phone.

Well you got me working here now, thank you for that, if you can tell me how to get the wind to calm down so I can take it to the park and try it outdoors everything would be perfect ;)

Vr fpv with stronger wins really isn't fun. To shaky. Send the family to the park so you have the house!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv