Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Parabolic Reflector for xiaomi WiFi Repeater

What have the results been for the reflector ?
Before using the reflector, I started getting WiFi interference at 78'. After using the reflector I got no interference warnings at 99' altitude. When I started range testing, I went out to 178' getting a small amount of notifications of WiFi interference at 129' but stopped as I continued on. I saw no breakup in the video feed whatsoever. Due to traffic in the area, I decided not to push it further. I need to find time to go to an area where I can experiment more. Even at 178' out, I could not see the drone without viewing the video feed from the phone.

Reactions: Flydrone and Terry
Before using the reflector, I started getting WiFi interference at 78'. After using the reflector I got no interference warnings at 99' altitude. When I started range testing, I went out to 178' getting a small amount of notifications of WiFi interference at 129' but stopped as I continued on. I saw no breakup in the video feed whatsoever. Due to traffic in the area, I decided not to push it further. I need to find time to go to an area where I can experiment more. Even at 178' out, I could not see the drone without viewing the video feed from the phone.
I have got a little more then 200 meters with the repeater and could have gone further but wanted to wait until I was in a better place. Still had 40dp at around 225 meters. The reflector looks pretty cool.

I have got a little more then 200 meters with the repeater and could have gone further but wanted to wait until I was in a better place. Still had 40dp at around 225 meters. The reflector looks pretty cool.
I was at 70db 178' out. Like you, I want to find a better place to push the limits.

Reactions: Terry
So today, I decided to try something different. Rather than risk my Tello, I went back to a safe place in the Mall parking lot and took the Tello up to about 15' and then drove to the other end of the parking lot in my golf cart, leaving the Tello in place. At 475' my WiFi signal strength without the reflector was 40 DB. I attached the reflector and the WiFi signal strength went up to 70 DB.

So now I have a more comfortable sense of the range I can expect with and without the reflector, although I am going to have to find someplace where I can test the limits further.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-16 at 12.25.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-16 at 12.25.00 PM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 44
Reactions: TonyAlv and Terry
Wow, Nice Photo!!(y) I will print it, do you remember the thickness of the round metal sheet?
Also, how did you capture this photo? I want to take some photos downwards with my Tello, I'm still looking for the best adapter to print on 3D as well.

So today, I decided to try something different. Rather than risk my Tello, I went back to a safe place in the Mall parking lot and took the Tello up to about 15' and then drove to the other end of the parking lot in my golf cart, leaving the Tello in place. At 475' my WiFi signal strength without the reflector was 40 DB. I attached the reflector and the WiFi signal strength went up to 70 DB.

So now I have a more comfortable sense of the range I can expect with and without the reflector, although I am going to have to find someplace where I can test the limits further.

ok 2 questions, does it matter if the shiny metal part is facing the drone or facing toward you, and, which way is the best to face the metal part ??

Reactions: Terry
Obviously, that photo was not taken with a Tello... looks like an image from a mapping program - and the OP used it to show his distance, not altitude.

Sorry to rain on your parade lol ;)
You are correct, the photo of the mall parking lot was not taken by the Tello. I simply used it to determine the distance I was from the drone using this technique. If you leave the drone stationary and travel to a distance from it to see how strong the WiFi signal is, you can't get a distance value from the app itself.

Wow, Nice Photo!!(y) I will print it, do you remember the thickness of the round metal sheet?
Also, how did you capture this photo? I want to take some photos downwards with my Tello, I'm still looking for the best adapter to print on 3D as well.
The thickness of the metal is .38mm. The photo was not taken by the Tello. I used Google Earth for that.

If you leave the drone stationary and travel to a distance from it to see how strong the WiFi signal is, you can't get a distance value from the app itself.
You can get a distance value, if you're using the right app.

If you have an Android device, try TelloFPV... but if you only have iPhone, sorry.

You can get a distance value, if you're using the right app.

If you have an Android device, try TelloFPV... but if you only have iPhone, sorry.
I have the TelloFPV app and was using it at the time, but the app still thinks you are standing still because you did not fly from the original position. Try it, you will see. Launch the Tello and walk away from it. It does not change the distance, only the WiFi signal will decrease when you get far enough away. Would be a different outcome if I had flown the Tello to its destination, but the whole purpose here was not to put the Tello at risk as I determined the distance it could travel before loosing WiFi.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv