Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Super new from Canada! New regs, halp!

NoobieMcNoobster

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm Andee, a new drone pilot. I wanted to start flying to take up arial photography! I wanted to start small with the Tello, but eventually work my way up. But not gunna lie, new regulations have me trippen!

My career is tech focused, I'm a UX designer, but aviation is a little left-field for me. Not only that, but Canada just released new regulations, and it's making flying really hard. For example, you have to conduct a site survey that takes all this seemingly arbitrary data, like how far away I'm flying from telephone poles and people. How do y'all conduct site surveys? Do you even follow the regulations in your country? The tello isn't technically regulated right now, but when I eventually graduate to the spark, I know I'll have to do these things. Any help is appreciated!!!

- Andee

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-15 at 10.52.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-15 at 10.52.06 AM.png
    160.9 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: dirkclod
I have a tello which I fly in my yard. No regulations that I know of

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi there,

I'm Andee, a new drone pilot. I wanted to start flying to take up arial photography! I wanted to start small with the Tello, but eventually work my way up. But not gunna lie, new regulations have me trippen!

My career is tech focused, I'm a UX designer, but aviation is a little left-field for me. Not only that, but Canada just released new regulations, and it's making flying really hard. For example, you have to conduct a site survey that takes all this seemingly arbitrary data, like how far away I'm flying from telephone poles and people. How do y'all conduct site surveys? Do you even follow the regulations in your country? The tello isn't technically regulated right now, but when I eventually graduate to the spark, I know I'll have to do these things. Any help is appreciated!!!

- Andee
Being certified to fly professionally, I take regulations really seriously. I am not up to date on the new regulations from Canada, since I don't live there, but for the most part the majority of the rules are the same as in the US.

Always keep Visual Line of Sight.
Stay at or below 400 ft or 120 m.
Always give right of way to manned aircrafts.
Try to see if where you want to fly is a No Fly Zone or if it has some sort of restrictions.
Always try to see if in the area you plan to fly there is a NOTAM present.
Make sure you have a visibility of 3 miles before taking off.
Do not fly over people.
Do not fly at night, unless you get the proper waiver and have the strobes installed.
Do not fly over moving cars.
Stay away from any poles and power lines. (I cannot stress how important this is. This week alone 2 people in phantompilots.com lost their brand new drones due to hitting a power line they did not see, because they weren't looking at the drone.)
Please keep in mind the weather (rain, snow, wind, etc)
Always fly with 10+ satellites.

If I remember anything else, I will update.

Reactions: dirkclod
I know it sounds like A LOT to remember, but after the first few flights, it all becomes second nature.

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv