Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

system overheating on landing

macca

Reaction score
has anybody came across system overheating issue after landing the drone? only been flying for around 20-30 seconds and after landing warning appears on screen and drone shuts down. any ideas on why this happens or any fixes for this issue would be appriciated!

volate!lo

Reaction score
If you keep the drone sitting after landing here it will overheat.

It needs the prop's airflow to cool the processors. My Tellos sit on a little cooling fan when I'm testing some video functions.

Reactions: STALE

JBTello

Reaction score
unsure I run 4 batteries before it overheats
Hey Aussie, I was just about to post about that very issue because I picked up a fourth battery today. Are you saying that you get four full duty cycles, then the Tello overheats? Or does it overheat in the middle of the fourth duty cycle?

Thanks for sharing!

an3k

Reaction score
Since I disassembled both Tellos I now know why they overheat so fast. You have three chips at the bottom, all of them are inside a metal casing (to shield from interference). The lid of these casings has dents on top of the chips. On top of that is a metal heatsink. And on top of that is the bottom plastic cover with those ventilation slits. And there is thermal paste between then chips and the lid and between the lid and the heatsink. So far so good.

The problem is that the clearance between chip and lid as well as between lid and heatsink is too big. Ideally it should be zero and thermal paste is used to just fill the microscopic dents and gabs of the metal surface. However, here the paste is used to close a approx. 1 - 2 mm gap. Thermal paste as well as soldering techniques start to isolate once a given thickness is reached.

Modding this however is very easy. First, remove the battery! You need a small screwdriver (Cross / Phillips head) to release four screws. Remove the bottom plastic cover. Now you need a tiny screwdriver (slot head) to remove two lids (be very gentle). The chips are now exposed. Get some cottom swabs and isopropanol (aka. isopropyl alcohol) and clean off all the blue thermal paste. Apply whatever you think works better and re-assemble the drone.

I'll do some measurements the next days and depending on the gap I'll either use some high-end thermal paste OR appropriate thermal pads and test if that helps.

Reactions: Flydrone

Ansia

Reaction score
Hey Aussie, I was just about to post about that very issue because I picked up a fourth battery today. Are you saying that you get four full duty cycles, then the Tello overheats? Or does it overheat in the middle of the fourth duty cycle?

Thanks for sharing!
I fly more than 4 batteries and my Tello won't overheat as long as it's in the air. I did see a guy burn one of his motors after 12 consecutive batteries.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odtech