Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Tello 1.03.33.01 firmware - improved range

Your Wi-fi is connected to your tello and has no internet connection to download. Press ok and go to Wi-fi settings and connect to a Wi-fi that has internet connection. It will download update. Then reconnect to tello Wi-fi and it will update.

Ok ill try that process. Thanks

Your Wi-fi is connected to your tello and has no internet connection to download. Press ok and go to Wi-fi settings and connect to a Wi-fi that has internet connection. It will download update. Then reconnect to tello Wi-fi and it will update.

Thanks. Ill try that process.

I tested before and after I updated the firmware and saw no change in range.
For me there was a considerable amount of change
20m away, 10m up, the signal was still full strength even in a area with a lot of interference and bluetooth and data turned on
Back then it would fall 1 bar shy from the warning strength

I use my Tello with an iPod touch 6 which works perfectly with my other tools, like the Osmo plus and my Sony A7iii and PXW-Z150. But like many the video stutters terribly and despite current firmware and the various suggestions of starting the app first etc. If I had know this I would not have bought the Tello, I bought it based on my previous experience with DJI and expected it to work. For me it's primary use was to be for surveys prior to shooting with a drone and drone operator, but to give the client an idea of what we were pitching. BIG FAIL and shame on DJI for supporting a substandard product. If the video part of the equation was not going to work, why include it ? Make it a stills unit which is what I am using it for now. Just my two cents....

Got my Tello today and it wanted a firmware update right away, first time it got stuck at 99% and after a while the led turned red (guess from overheating), I let it cool down and did a hard reset whereafter I tried the update again (yet now in front of a ventilator). This time it updated ok within like 2 minutes. During the first flight I noticed however that the video was very shaky (making sure I was in slow mode) so I restarted the drone (and app) and all was ok.

On a next flight I again noticed that after a few minutes of stable video it started to be shaky again .. which was corrected again by restarting the drone ..strange ..

Ps> I start the app whilst in airplane mode and then enable wifi from within the app (as suggested by others) and I noticed only sporadic frmaedrops so thats fine.

Anybody else having similar issues with video stability i.c.w. the latest firmware?

I use my Tello with an iPod touch 6 which works perfectly with my other tools, like the Osmo plus and my Sony A7iii and PXW-Z150. But like many the video stutters terribly and despite current firmware and the various suggestions of starting the app first etc. If I had know this I would not have bought the Tello, I bought it based on my previous experience with DJI and expected it to work. For me it's primary use was to be for surveys prior to shooting with a drone and drone operator, but to give the client an idea of what we were pitching. BIG FAIL and shame on DJI for supporting a substandard product. If the video part of the equation was not going to work, why include it ? Make it a stills unit which is what I am using it for now. Just my two cents....
Have you tried with a more up to date handset? Afaik the iPod touch 6th gen runs about 30% slower than an iPod SE

Short answer Yes. With my iPhone 8 and two month old iPad. It is NOT the iPod, it is the Tello, obviously check google everyone is complaining about it. The cameras noted above stream video to my iPod with no problem and from quite a distance, since I use the Sony app to check framing and start and stop recording on remotely mounted cameras. No excuses for Tello video ... it sucks.

Short answer Yes. With my iPhone 8 and two month old iPad. It is NOT the iPod, it is the Tello, obviously check google everyone is complaining about it. The cameras noted above stream video to my iPod with no problem and from quite a distance, since I use the Sony app to check framing and start and stop recording on remotely mounted cameras. No excuses for Tello video ... it sucks.
I suppose it depends on your expectations.

The video from my tello is clearly below what my digital cameras or GoPros are capable of, but then I can't throw them 30m up in the air.

I'm getting video of this quality (and greater) from my £110 outlay (including a wifi extender)

I'm more than happy with it, and fully accept if i were to buy a second hand spark for twice the price, I would get better results...

On the subject, care to guess how much the equipment cost, and how many hours were spent to capture this?
LRM_EXPORT_20171224_094134.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Inakigarm
Guys, as stated above I've experienced issues with the image-stabilization (1.03.33.01 firmware) and I experimented a little more today and noted the following:
  • start-up the app( enable wifi in air-plane-mode from within the app)
  • set foto-quality to 'high' and assure flight speed is 'slow' (as that is stabilized)
  • initially all is OK and the video is stabilized
  • take a foto .. and then the video becomes shaky i.e. image-stabilization is lost
  • to recover to stabilized video switch to 'fast'-mode and then back to 'slow'
    (in video-mode you can clearly see the change in viewport when switching back and forth between 'fast' and 'slow')
Anybody experienced the same ?

Last edited:
Guys, as stated above I've experienced issues with the image-stabilization (1.03.33.01 firmware) and I experimented a little more today and noted the following:
  • start-up the app( enable wifi in air-plane-mode from within the app)
  • set foto-quality to 'high' and assure flight speed is 'slow' (as that is stabilized)
  • initially all is OK and the video is stabilized
  • take a foto .. and then the video becomes shaky i.e. image-stabilization is lost
  • to recover to stabilized video switch to 'fast'-mode and then back to 'slow'
    (in video-mode you can clearly see the change in viewport when switching back and forth between 'fast' and 'slow')
Anybody experienced the same ?

Yup, same here. Had the issue since I bought it in April...

Does the Tello lose image stabilization after taking photos

I’ve said this before; there are a lot of us having this experience and sharing it amongst each other, but unless we report it the Rize Robotics through their support line, nothing is going to happen.

For all of my issues including the video issue, I’ve reported them to support via their chat line.

The message error 203 keeps my tello on the ground and never takes off. Can anyone share how to solve this problem?

So I am still having stuttering video issues, but since getting the gamesir controller flying is much smoother and enjoyable. I bought this to see if I would step up to a more sophisticated drone and will buy a Mavic Air in the next couple of weeks. Too bad they can't get the video issue ironed out as the Tello is a nice unit otherwise.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccer843