Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Tello EDU Carrying a Raspberry Pi?

travis22BBB

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am trying to have my Tello EDU carry a Raspberry Pi 3B+ with a portable battery as payload. According to my calculations, the payload weight is approximately 150 grams. Is this even possible? Is there any accessory that can help me achieve this?

If not, what other drones can I purchase that satisfies my below requirement:
  1. Ability to automatically join an access point (Tello EDU has AP command)
  2. Programmable - Similar to how Tello EDU has a UDP API
  3. Ability to lift a Raspberry Pi 3B+ as payload
  4. Less than $2000

Any pointers or help would be highly appreciated.

Reactions: nodecaf
Hi all,

I am trying to have my Tello EDU carry a Raspberry Pi 3B+ with a portable battery as payload. According to my calculations, the payload weight is approximately 150 grams. Is this even possible? Is there any accessory that can help me achieve this?

I'm also very interested in trying to enhance the EDU with some more autonomy, but that's probably going to be a bit of a stretch... 30-40 grams are probably the upper limit of what a Tello can lift. There are a couple of similar project. @Customerx did a build here What's this then GPS? using a Raspberry Pi Zero W, which is very impressive. There are a couple of other guys in there with some builds too. Myself will attempt something similar with a TelloEDU + an Onion Omega2+ ( Autonomous Tello - Strapping a computer+GPS to a Tello? )

Whatever path you go down, I'm very interested. There are a number of development boards that could do the job, but the weight will be your enemy. I would probably suggest to begin with scrapping the battery and hook into the tello's battery to save some weight right there! Good luck and let us know how you go!

Also, let us know if you find any other suitable drones for API programming!

Fly Safe - NoDecaf

Reactions: Customerx
Hi all,

If not, what other drones can I purchase that satisfies my below requirement:
  1. Ability to automatically join an access point (Tello EDU has AP command)
  2. Programmable - Similar to how Tello EDU has a UDP API
  3. Ability to lift a Raspberry Pi 3B+ as payload
  4. Less than $2000

Any pointers or help would be highly appreciated.
Raspberry 3 and a battery will brobably be too much weight.

I packed a Raspberry Zero W on the Tello and connected it to the main battery.
The raspi is equipped with a camera and an ultrasonic distance sensor (see my avatar) or an infrared distance sensor.
The added weight is 30g and the flight time is down to about 6 minutes which I find acceptable.

I am currently writing software and testing the sensors. Not yet usable.
Taking videos and photos and storing them on the SD card of the raspi works.

I will post details in a new thread.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philipp.weisser@ksehingen