Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Tello EDU vs Tello

id_dev

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to Drones but a coder by profession. I was looking to purchase a couple drones to try coding a swarm of 2 drones.

I see there is the standard Tello and Tello EDU wanted to know aside from the included Mission Pads, are there any other differences?

Can the standard Tello be used for trying out swarms and use the SDK 2.0 ?

Thanks In advance

Hello and welcome to TelloPilots!

I just got my Tello EDU today but have the regular Tello for two weeks I think.

If photos of chips help you, check out The difference between regular Tello and Tello EDU (with Photos)

The regular Tello uses SDK 1.3 (or something like that). The PDF can be found here (PDF). The Tello EDU uses SDK 2.0 and it's PDF can be found here (PDF).

The differences based on the SDK PDFs are:

A - means the regular Tello does not support this command (but Tello EDU does) while a + means the regular Tello does support it (but the Tello EDU does not).
- stop (Hovers in the air. Note: works at any time.)
- go x y z speed mid (same as go x y z speed but uses mission pad)
- curve x1 y1 z1 x2 y2 z2 speed mid (same as curve x1 y1 z1 x2 y2 z2 speed but uses mission pad)
- jump x y z speed yaw mid1 mid2 (Fly to coordinates x, y and z of mission pad 1 and recognize coordinates 0, 0 and z of mission pad 2 and rotate to the yaw value)
- mon
- moff
- mdirection
- ap ssid pass
+ height?
+ temp?
+ attitude?
+ baro?
+ acceleration?
+ tof?
- sdk?
- sn?

If you want swarm mode you need the command ap ssid pass as this tells the Tello EDU to connect to an existing WiFi network rather than providing its own wifi network to which you have to connect.

Regarding the commands as height? or baro? don't be confused because the Tello EDU does not support these. Ideally you use the Tello State feature which sends a string once a second that contains all the information; thus you get all data from both editions of Tello.

With the latest firmware of the regular Tello the official changelog (which is only available on the japanese website of Ryze Robotics) states mission pads are now supported. The changelog inside the app says something different (but support told me the app stated non-sense). However the PDFs are not yet updated and by testing the mission pad relevant commands I noticed that those commands are not available. But they changed the Tello State string which now includes mission pad information and an yet unknown variable. Also the information of another variable (that is listed in the SDK 2.0 PDF of Tello EDU) does provide wrong information.

If you want Swarm Mode you definitely need the Tello EDU. If you want Mission Pads you do so too. Maybe it is possible to flash the Tello EDU firmware onto the regular Tello since it looks like both are identical but we're not sure yet.

Last edited:
If you want Swarm Mode you definitely need the Tello EDU. If you want Mission Pads you do so too. Maybe it is possible to flash the Tello EDU firmware onto the regular Tello since it looks like both are identical but we're not sure yet.[/QUOTE]

Has anybody tried to flash the firmware?

I got my Tello in gift today and just want to dig into learning programming the drone. How can I do the stuff they do in the Tello EDU video on youtube?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv