Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Tello PID Control Tuning

marcolli

Reaction score
Has anyone implemented PID positional control of the Tello? I'm developing a command to send the drone to a target position but I'm unsure about the best approach to tuning my controller. If anyone has implemented this already, what gain values have you used?

For reference, I'm using a very simple PID algorithm which then maps values to the virtual Tello joystick.

So positional flying via PIDs is my main goal for my new Tello. I have been making PID based autopilots for years in Kerbal Space Program, and hope I can translate some of that into a Tello application.

I haven't gotten very far into this project but I see tuning as a large, and potentially expensive problem. We can't afford to be just guessing on the values and having the tello blast into a wall. I already have my tello working in Unity, so my plan is to make a basic simulator, which has roughly the same flight characteristics as the real thing. Then hopefully we could get the PID tuning in the right ballpark before moving to the real thing.

Right now I'm working on getting 3D positional tracking set up, then I can begin implementing the PIDs.

So positional flying via PIDs is my main goal for my new Tello. I have been making PID based autopilots for years in Kerbal Space Program, and hope I can translate some of that into a Tello application.

I haven't gotten very far into this project but I see tuning as a large, and potentially expensive problem. We can't afford to be just guessing on the values and having the tello blast into a wall. I already have my tello working in Unity, so my plan is to make a basic simulator, which has roughly the same flight characteristics as the real thing. Then hopefully we could get the PID tuning in the right ballpark before moving to the real thing.

Right now I'm working on getting 3D positional tracking set up, then I can begin implementing the PIDs.

Wow, awesome! Yes ideally simulating the behviour of the Tello would be the best way to tune the controllers but I don't really have the time to do it.

I'm planning to do some trial-and-error tuning with the Tello this week. I'll do it outside so it shouldn't crash into anything. I'm not too bothered about getting an optimum tuning. I'm mainly gonna focus on getting reliably P and I behaviour which will be enough for my needs. I'll let you know how I get on.

Wow, awesome! Yes ideally simulating the behviour of the Tello would be the best way to tune the controllers but I don't really have the time to do it.

I'm planning to do some trial-and-error tuning with the Tello this week. I'll do it outside so it shouldn't crash into anything. I'm not too bothered about getting an optimum tuning. I'm mainly gonna focus on getting reliably P and I behaviour which will be enough for my needs. I'll let you know how I get on.

Did you get the optimal gains?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccer843