Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Tello.py on Pythonista

I tested it again with Node-RED and then with the normal Tello app. In Node-RED I see the same behavior (landing after 15 seconds of no input - even with Tello State enabled). With the normal app you can let the drone hover as long as the battery lasts.

I did another test: I connected the Tello App with the drone (drone = 192.168.10.1, phone = 192.168.10.2); I saw the video stream on the Tello app and was able to control the drone using the App. No magic involved. Then I additionally connected my computer to the drone (computer = 192.168.10.3) and entered the development mode (= sending command). The video feed in the Tello App stopped but I was still able to control the Tello using the App. However, I was also able to receive Tello State on my computer and to control the Tello using my computer. Additionally the drone did not auto-land after 15 seconds.

1) Power on the Tello
2) Connect your Android or iOS device with the Tello App to your drone
3) Start the Tello app
4) Take off
5) Connect your computer with the drone
6) Enter SDK mode and start developing :) (your computer now has IP 192.168.10.3 so you maybe have to modify your code)

Do not close the Tello app or disconnect your phone from the drone, otherwise the drone will autoland after 15 seconds.

Thanks. That's interesting. Do you think that the Tello.app is continuing to send commands (e.g. get_battery?) and that is why it does not land automatically?

No. All the commands we can send are only available in the SDK mode. The Tello app does not use the SDK mode. I think that when the drone is in SDK mode it has that annoying "15 seconds failsafe feature", but only in that mode.

The Tello app (and I think the aTelloPilot app) do not use the SDK mode because in both apps you can send "two commands" at the same time, eg. forward and right. In SDK mode you cannot do that, you have to send forward 20 and wait until the drone flew 20 cm forward until you can issue right 20.

I also think that this "failsafe evasion" is a bug and they'll probably fix it once they get aware of it :( Which is really bad because when my Tello sits on the table and is doing nothing but sending Tello State it overheats within 5 minutes and turns off. If my Tello however is hovering it does not overheat and hovers as long as the battery has more than 7% charge.

Ryze really should fix these two issues ASAP because currently it's really bad for developing, either because it overheats and turns off after 5 minutes or because it only hovers for 15 seconds and then lands.

I got a "Hover time" of 667 seconds using the above method, so basically 11 minutes before the battery went down to 7% and the Tello auto-landed.

The lowest the Tello app lets me set the battery alert (which I presume initiates auto land) is 15%. Is there a way to set it lower (e.g. 7%)?

I have it on 15% in my Tello app too but since the Tello app isn't receiving any data anymore (because you connected a computer in SDK mode afterwards) the app constantly shows a battery load of 100%. I assume the 7% is hardcoded into the firmware.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv