Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Tello video bit rate footage. Less choppy than auto

Just seems to sacrifice quality. Does your app have an option for 8mbps? I’m on iPhone and it only goes up to 4mbps but have read that someone out thiers up to 8 I just wonder if that was a typo or wether some android users have that option.

Ah right must just be a typo then. Seems as the spark runs at 24mbps we have some way to go LOL hopefully tello brings out a controller that improves the signal and video quality. ?

I tested mine today and it didn’t make much difference what mbps I used, they all had frame dropping issues, That was with Bluetooth turned off and slow control and indoors. I’ll have to test outdoors soon. I presume it depends on your phone as well, as some people with an iPhone 10 have a big advantage on the rage it can go.

It’s amazing how almost everyone is having the “drop frames” issue with or without a Bluetooth device, and I haven’t yet heard from Ryze Robotics that they are aware of it and that they are going to address it in the next firmware upgrade!

Has anyone heard otherwise? I’m hoping someone has!

Update from ryze

Thank you for contacting Ryze Technical Support.

In regards to your concern, the grey square issue on the pictures and the video lag has is a known issue with the latest firmware version of the drone. Our Engineers are currently working on it in fixing this issue in the next firmware update.

We don't have any news yet on when will the next update come. We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you.

I´ve been doing some testing.
Indoor, good light.

In all cases, I made Tello do the 360 auto video.
It takes about 22 seconds the whole turn.

Phone: Samsung S7 Edge

1) Tello WiFi= 8 drop frames

2) same with Mi Wifi Repeater 2 = 8 drop frames

3) Tello WiFi & Airplane mode= 2 drop frames

4) Mi WiFi Repeater 2 & Airplane mode= 1 drop frame

So in my case, the key improvment was to set my phone in Airplane mode.

Then, the Mi WiFi repeater 2, provides some aditional improvment, but over all, better control distance.

Note: in good weather, and low wind, I intend to use this little marvel to inspect and take detailed photos of high spots of houses I build.

Regards

Last edited:
This drone is shocking on android hardware when it comes to dropped frame rates if airplane mode isn't turned on, works perfectly with only wifi enabled after enabling airplane mode but as soon as you connect it to any bluetooth device its a slug, which renders any other controller than the phone useless...... I wish I had known this before buying the Tello as Ryze technical support haven't done a thing about all the complaints.........but if you have an iphone and not android apparently it works fine!!!!

I´ve been doing some testing.
Indoor, good light.

In all cases, I made Tello do the 360 auto video.
It takes about 22 seconds the whole turn.

Phone: Samsung S7 Edge

1) Tello WiFi= 8 drop frames

2) same with Mi Wifi Repeater 2 = 8 drop frames

3) Tello WiFi & Airplane mode= 2 drop frames

4) Mi WiFi Repeater 2 & Airplane mode= 1 drop frame

So in my case, the key improvment was to set my phone in Airplane mode.

Then, the Mi WiFi repeater 2, provides some aditional improvment, but over all, better control distance.

Note: in good weather, and low wind, I intend to use this little marvel to inspect and take detailed photos of high spots of houses I build.

Regards

Thank you for the information! How high have you been able to fly the Tello with the Mi Repeater?

Thanks!

Thank you for the information! How high have you been able to fly the Tello with the Mi Repeater?

Thanks!
Tested 15 m, no wind.
VPS doesn´t work at that altitude. (yellow alert)
Excellent video, same 360 test, 1 drop frame only.
Regards

Nice view! thank you, still a little frame dropping even with the repeater eh?
Ok, this was auto framerate, definitely 30m, definitely aircraft mode on, and definitely connected via the repeater. (I checked)
Conditions. 20°c, 10mph gusts.

Looks like 1 frame dropped, not sure if i was in the signal path at that point.

Screenshot_20180704-192736_TELLO.jpg

somehow I don't think ryze will improve the video quality much. Shame because if it was at all reliable at 4Mbs I'd use it seriously. An sd card even recording at a modest 8Mbs would make it an amzing tool. But thats the point I think: dji won't want this nifty $99 drone competing with their other products. Same with the spark I think. They could easily add frame rate and bit rate options but won't want to hurt their mavic sales. Both are terrific drones for a beginner like me - well priced, easy to fly and stable. And the stills are pretty good. Just not not quite enough to compete in the.the video stakes. (I would love to be wrong! A micro SD slot would be amazing.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv