Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Thank You "Auto Landing", Now I Lost My Tello

AscaLum

Reaction score
Hey there, Fellas.

Today I lost my Tello. It got knocked out by wind by the time we want to take a group selfie in our cottage. My Tello was carried out like 10 meters above water, and by the time I tried to control it, the "Landing" sign always shows up. It's still above water. I was using Wifi extender at the time, but that fu*king Auto Landing always shows up and interfere my control. I only have 2 finger to control my Tello and I have to fight the wind + close the landing warning.

8 minutes later, the connection has gone. And you know what? My phone screen still showing "Landing" :)

Thank You Auto Landing, for making my day beautiful. It's such an a*s feature.
I hope Ryze & DJI could disable this feature when above water.

And, I need advice. Do I buy another Tello? Or wait for my next payroll and get Spark?

Sad to hear that :( well a fun tello kit with controller extra battery, charging hub, wifi extender. Thats like half a Spark in price. But imagine crashing your spark or loose it that will hurt the double ;)

Hey there, Fellas.

Today I lost my Tello. It got knocked out by wind by the time we want to take a group selfie in our cottage. My Tello was carried out like 10 meters above water, and by the time I tried to control it, the "Landing" sign always shows up. It's still above water. I was using Wifi extender at the time, but that fu*king Auto Landing always shows up and interfere my control. I only have 2 finger to control my Tello and I have to fight the wind + close the landing warning.

8 minutes later, the connection has gone. And you know what? My phone screen still showing "Landing" :)

Thank You Auto Landing, for making my day beautiful. It's such an a*s feature.
I hope Ryze & DJI could disable this feature when above water.

And, I need advice. Do I buy another Tello? Or wait for my next payroll and get Spark?
Dude you shoulda jumped in and got that mofo. These things dry out and keep running. If you can recover your drone, always try your best. I just lost my spark up on the side of a high-rise but a few days later I got it back! So yeah get a spark and I bet you’ll still have need for tello.

I would go for tello anyday again. The Spark is not a substitute for Tello and vice versa. It is small & light, pretty quiet and safe.
When it autolands I like the feature that it hovers above the ground until the battery runs out. In this case I can find it by sound above the grass, If I landed good luck in some cases :) sad to hear the watergate problem.

Reactions: voodoo
AscaLum

Was it windy outside as you went flying?
Or light wind.
I fly my tello in a none ore very light breeze
Over that ...no way!

Guy

I lost mine yesterday while testing the Xaomi repeater I got yesterday...

The repeater works great !! :D:D:(

I had wind and vision positioning warnings but the drone was flying well, until it decided to land in the middle of the forest...

I was not able to locate it...

I will put a tile on my next tello for sure !!

Is there a way to turn this feature off ?

Here is the last screenshot before the video cut off

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20180808-191436.jpg
    VideoCapture_20180808-191436.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 120
Using an alternate app. There are few in the Development thread.

One more thing please.
You can Never know
30 feet above you how the winds are.could be a wind drifts or things like that.
I fly at Dead wind or Very very light.
As today ..started flying....it was very light
As the wind started picking up lightly
i landed ASAP even the bird was flying well.
as in the air porce.
If there is a doute......so NO doute!!
Came back home safe.
Allways there is the next day or next try.

I did learned it in " the hard way"
guy

Too bad guys, it happened to me too. Had an autolanding near water and a slight breeze got my autolanding tello a waterlanding. Im still waiting for ryze support to examine the log files the tello app saves (reachable by connecting your phone to a computer) and find out why it started this autolanding.

I really find that the tello should never do a programmed incontrollable autolanding!! ( except with critical battery ofc duhhh)

The waters in the netherlands are too dirty to find the tello, so i took a swim for 2 hours trying to find it unsuccesfully.

I bought my second tello because i bought the controller, powerbank+extender+3 batteries+charger setup.

Im really glad i bought the tello, and crashed it. This setup was. 240,- total and i’d rather learn to respect the limitations of a drone this way, instead of doing this with a spark fly more combo of 600,- euros.

Be advised that the spark is the first real wind eater, and tello is a toy compared to the safety powers (strong enough engines and auto return feature) that come with spark category drones

I really thinn that its best to crash a tello to learn to respect a drone’s capabilities and above all, limitations.

Though, i’ll never buy a spark since tello comes so close to it, and with the fast progression in the droneworld, i’ll save up a year for the mavic air which will drop price (see what drones changes have been there the past 2 years) now dji has announcent their upcoming drone.

I’ll try to fly tello nr2 more respectfully, i realised, i crashed it. I didnt respect it properly.

My tello cinematic footage;

I have never had an "autolanding". I would like to know a little more about it.

Do you lost control over tello when it enters autolanding state ?

Is Autolanding a feature of the official app or can it happens using aTello or aTelloPilot ?

Thanks a lot.

To me it only happened in the official app so far. It kicks in when high attitude and vps fails or in higher winds when the vps is confused and at night. There is a red warning button with STOP in it so you can try to avoid autoland.

Hi,

I think I have suffered my first "autolanding" incident.

I was flying with my favorite app: aTelloPilot. After several "VPS is not working" warnings due to strong winds and high height I could read the word "LANDING" on screen and the drone started to descend by itself. I solved the situation pushing the gas stick up while trying to return at the takeoff point. A few seconds later I was able to release the gas stick because Tello was not descending anymore. It seems Autolanding had been canceled by itself.

Cheers

I lost mine yesterday while testing the Xaomi repeater I got yesterday...

The repeater works great !! :D:D:(

I had wind and vision positioning warnings but the drone was flying well, until it decided to land in the middle of the forest...

I was not able to locate it...

I will put a tile on my next tello for sure !!

Is there a way to turn this feature off ?

Here is the last screenshot before the video cut off

It's with the racoons now! :)

Reactions: Ansia
Was flying my Tello on a cliff today, some wind, not particularly strong but not exactly light either. Got it out over the water and it started to auto land, I panicked and ran towards the drone and luckily managed to bring it back up and returned it. Was the closest I have come to losing the drone, is there really no way to disable it?

Was flying my Tello on a cliff today, some wind, not particularly strong but not exactly light either. Got it out over the water and it started to auto land, I panicked and ran towards the drone and luckily managed to bring it back up and returned it. Was the closest I have come to losing the drone, is there really no way to disable it?
IIRC there in this case message "landing " pops up that you can press to cancel. I think... haven't used the app for months.

I was thinking about adding a "autocancel autolanding" feature to TelloFpv for that reason: It Tello wants to land and you push throttle up the landing is cancelled

IIRC there in this case message "landing " pops up that you can press to cancel. I think... haven't used the app for months.

I was thinking about adding a "autocancel autolanding" feature to TelloFpv for that reason: It Tello wants to land and you push throttle up the landing is cancelled

@volate!lo, even better if you add a settting for ALWAYS cancel autolanding. I can't imagine any flight situation where autolanding is useful.

In my own experience, evertytime autolanding triggered due to VPS failure, WIFI lost or so on, it would have been much better Tello just stayed hovering.

In my opinion autolanding is a feature added by Tello designers for safety reasons but not usefull in real life.

all the best.

@volate!lo, even better if you add a settting for ALWAYS cancel autolanding. I can't imagine any flight situation where autolanding is useful.

In my own experience, evertytime autolanding triggered due to VPS failure, WIFI lost or so on, it would have been much better Tello just stayed hovering.

In my opinion autolanding is a feature added by Tello designers for safety reasons but not usefull in real life.

all the best.

Just implemented it so will be in next release: an option to cancel landing by throttle up.
I don't want to completely take the autoland functionality away.

Reactions: raulvolador
Just implemented it so will be in next release: an option to cancel landing by throttle up.
This is awesome V! This was on my wish list but didn't think it was possible. You have done it again! TelloFPV rocks!
Anyway to add some type of audible alert when auto land is activated??..Then deactivated?

Last edited:
That is awesome!

It'd be cool to trigger a auto-RTH instead... Is that even a possibility with the Tello's SDK?

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv