Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Unable to use Swift Playgrounds, able to use official Tello app

jeanmah

Reaction score
Hello,

I just started using Tello edu and I'm trying to learn how to program it using Swift in Swift Playgrounds under Space Travel. I can take off and move and land the drone using the Tello app on my ipad but for the past day when I've been using the app, the drone does not take off (it has never worked with the swift playground)

1. I turn on the drone and connect the ipad to the drone's wifi and the drone blinks yellow.
2. I switch to the Swift playground - Space Travel.
3. the basic code which is given to me from the start : takeOff() wait(seconds: 3) land() runs automatically
4. the loading animation spins indefinitely until it tells me that there is something wrong with the program and i can either press ok or restart.
5. pressing ok lets me press the button "run my code" myself --> 4 repeats; pressing restart just reloads the code again and 4 repeats.

I don't know whats wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Interesting. I had the same exact issue yesterday. The landing animation spins indefinitely and nothing happened.

I have used the app 2 weeks ago and was working fine..

Any idea what happened.

Thank you

Hello,

I just started using Tello edu and I'm trying to learn how to program it using Swift in Swift Playgrounds under Space Travel. I can take off and move and land the drone using the Tello app on my ipad but for the past day when I've been using the app, the drone does not take off (it has never worked with the swift playground)

1. I turn on the drone and connect the ipad to the drone's wifi and the drone blinks yellow.
2. I switch to the Swift playground - Space Travel.
3. the basic code which is given to me from the start : takeOff() wait(seconds: 3) land() runs automatically
4. the loading animation spins indefinitely until it tells me that there is something wrong with the program and i can either press ok or restart.
5. pressing ok lets me press the button "run my code" myself --> 4 repeats; pressing restart just reloads the code again and 4 repeats.

I don't know whats wrong.

Thanks in advance.
I am having the same problem - I have 12 Tello Edu drones using iPads in my lab - no issues until this fall when classes resumed- not able to program with Tello Space Travel app in Swift Playgrounds - finally narrowed it down to the iOS version. Last Spring we were running 11x on our iPads - worked great. All of our school issued iPads were updated to 12X and many to 13x this last iOS update. The only iPads able to program/code successfully connect and run the code controlling the drone with the Space Travel Swift Playgrounds app are iPads with 11x iOS - all those running 12x and up iOS get no response from the dron when running code, get a spinning code wheel of death that then prompts an error message to run the code again or reset the page. I can launch and control the drones with the Tello controller app just fine. So I'm sure it is a compatibility issue with the newer iPad iOS version. I also updated the firmware on all the drones as part of the trouble-shooting - no help. Now I just have to figure out who to shout at to get the bug fixed - Apple Swift Playground developers, Tello Space Travel app developers or both - NOT conveniently, I can't find any good contact emails or phone contact! Total BS as I run coding classes and the Tello drones and Swift coding are an integral part of them. Anybody that can help light a fire under the right rears would be greatly appreciated!

I am having the same problem - I have 12 Tello Edu drones using iPads in my lab - no issues until this fall when classes resumed- not able to program with Tello Space Travel app in Swift Playgrounds - finally narrowed it down to the iOS version. Last Spring we were running 11x on our iPads - worked great. All of our school issued iPads were updated to 12X and many to 13x this last iOS update. The only iPads able to program/code successfully connect and run the code controlling the drone with the Space Travel Swift Playgrounds app are iPads with 11x iOS - all those running 12x and up iOS get no response from the dron when running code, get a spinning code wheel of death that then prompts an error message to run the code again or reset the page. I can launch and control the drones with the Tello controller app just fine. So I'm sure it is a compatibility issue with the newer iPad iOS version. I also updated the firmware on all the drones as part of the trouble-shooting - no help. Now I just have to figure out who to shout at to get the bug fixed - Apple Swift Playground developers, Tello Space Travel app developers or both - NOT conveniently, I can't find any good contact emails or phone contact! Total BS as I run coding classes and the Tello drones and Swift coding are an integral part of them. Anybody that can help light a fire under the right rears would be greatly appreciated!

We're having the same at our school. Did you ever find a workaround? We only have one; I'm glad that we didn't order more. Sorry to hear about the 12 that you have. It's frustrating because it's literally the only one that Apple promotes for Swift.

Reactions: Magdig
I have sent email to:
[email protected] in relation to this issue and they have logged in a case and responded saying that they are working in the fix??
Try to send them an email as well.

I have sent email to:
[email protected] in relation to this issue and they have logged in a case and responded saying that they are working in the fix??
Try to send them an email as well.

Did you ever get a response. When I found the Tello feature in playgrounds last night I got all excited. I have 4 Tello EDUs but unfortunately iPads with iOS13.

Regards

I also sent an email to the [email protected] - basically copied what I stated in the thread here. I got a same day response in part shown here:
"Thank you for raising this to us and we apologize for this inconvenience. On behalf of Ryze Team, please be informed that this is a current known issue on iOS 13 and our R&D Team is doing their best to fix the issue. Our sincere apology on this.
For the meantime we do not have the estimated time frame for this to get fix hence rest assure that we will give you an update and will get notified to your TELLO applications if there is a required firmware update."

Please also contact them as well - the more they hear from Tello Drone/Playgrounds users, hopefully the sooner they will fix this issue. Keep me posted on what you hear from them.

Eric

I also sent an email to the [email protected] - basically copied what I stated in the thread here. I got a same day response in part shown here:
"Thank you for raising this to us and we apologize for this inconvenience. On behalf of Ryze Team, please be informed that this is a current known issue on iOS 13 and our R&D Team is doing their best to fix the issue. Our sincere apology on this.
For the meantime we do not have the estimated time frame for this to get fix hence rest assure that we will give you an update and will get notified to your TELLO applications if there is a required firmware update."

Please also contact them as well - the more they hear from Tello Drone/Playgrounds users, hopefully the sooner they will fix this issue. Keep me posted on what you hear from them.

Eric
Thanks for the quick response. I will send them an email.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karlyan