Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

WIFI+S Range Extender vs Xiami WIFI Repeater and Tello Channel choice

Thanks but that video is not very clear to me...I'm too stupid...sorry. In need for more specs on the exact order of things with TelloFPVapp and GameSirT1d. Maurits

I understand, I made the configuration just bought Xiami WIFI Repeater by following one of these video tutorials and I did not find any problem ... this WiFi configuration is a separate thing from TelloFPV and gamesir, I did it all long ago with the app app Tello original and no controller, so I immediately switched to TelloFPV and gamesir BT and I always connected tello to this wifi extender.

there are many tutorials ...

Last edited:
I understand, I made the configuration just bought Xiami WIFI Repeater by following one of these video tutorials and I did not find any problem ... this WiFi configuration is a separate thing from TelloFPV and gamesir, I did it all long ago with the app app Tello original and no controller, so I immediately switched to TelloFPV and gamesir BT and I always connected tello to this wifi extender.

there are many tutorials ...
Thanks . Will try your way: just Tello, original Tello app and extender 2 first and proceed from there on Maurits

I am pleased with the Mi. Compared with my other drones more range with the Tello is too risky. It is so easy to lose the further the line of sight is. The Mi just sets up to fly so easily each time. I also think we're likely getting close to a new Tello or maybe finally a suitable competitor. The Micro Drone 4.0 coming out in June will even have GPS. Unfortunately, however, it'll still have brushed motors. With all these accessories we've bought Ryze could adopt, build in, these improvements, and we'd buy, even with those costs added. The Tello has definitely carried a fantastic reputation due to quality, performance and customer service.

This guy needs undertitling...I cannot understand a word and don't see what he is doing...
I apologize for this, but I can not know each of us in what language he speaks ... I just put one of the many video tutorials that are on the internet!:rolleyes:

I hope this can help you more.

Reactions: CamFlyer
I apologize for this, but I can not know each of us in what language he speaks ... I just put one of the many video tutorials that are on the internet!:rolleyes:

I hope this can help you more.
Thanks so much. And: I'm from Holland and over 70 so not too learned in English. Maurits

Reactions: Flydrone
Does the Wif+S permit you to select a channel or does it operate the same way as the Xiaomi by repeating on the same channel as the Tello)?

It uses wifi channel choosed by Tello, same way Xiami Repeater does.

Remember you can force Tello choosing rough high or low channels by using my Wifi Deauther trick. Tello WIFI channel selection I use to do it when flying at well know fixed interference sites.

Raul.

Last edited:
I have both repeaters and my compare test where about 30% better with the Xiaomi one. I would like to test one that uses 5 GHz for the link between repeater and the mobile phone.

I have both repeaters and my compare test where about 30% better with the Xiaomi one. I would like to test one that uses 5 GHz for the link between repeater and the mobile phone.

Are there small wifi extenders that can attach to a 2.4g wifi and re-broadcast it on 5g?

I think the recent FritzBox can do that but these are not really known for fabulous range and need 12v or so.

Has anyone tested the re-connect time for Xiaomi Wifi2 and the Wifi+S ? Just connect everything, turn off Tello, turn it on again and see how long it takes to reconnect after Tello starts to quickly blink yellow (that is the sign Tello's wifi is on and waiting for connection).
@volate!lo, I have had a little free time today for performing reconecting test the way you say: turning off Tello, turning it on agan, waiting quickly blink yellow led and measuring time from that moment until getting image again.

I got 35 seconds from Xiaomi Repeater v2 to reconnect. Same results @Captain Moody did.

I got a long 1 minute and 15 o_O seconds from WIFI+S Extender to reconnect. In fact, I had to switch off and on again Smartphone WIFI to get it connecting Tello again.

As you can see they are no good numbers for WIFI+S. On the other hand, things into real life are never like into the laboratory. This afternoon flight I suffered an actual disconnection incident while testing WIFI+S Extender and it only took 19 seconds to reconect. You can see here a photo-compositon showing four frames from video recording. Lost of signal starts 6:45 and signal recovered at 7:04. By the way, I didn´t have to do anything to force reconnection.

wifi+s issue.jpg

I have both repeaters and my compare test where about 30% better with the Xiaomi one
@CamFlyer , I'm glad you are getting better results from Xiaomi Repeater than WIFI+S Extender. It's not my case, but maybe it depends our flying area or other unknown factors. In any case, I plan to keep flying and testing both gadgest.

Raul.

Last edited:
Dual band repeater might be better

Reactions: Karuro
@volate!lo, I have had a little free time today for performing reconecting test the way you say: turning off Tello, turning it on agan, waiting quickly blink yellow led and measuring time from that moment until getting image again.

I got 35 seconds from Xiaomi Repeater v2 to reconnect. Same results @Captain Moody did.

I got a long 1 minute and 15 o_O seconds from WIFI+S Extender to reconnect. In fact, I had to switch off and on again Smartphone WIFI to get it connecting Tello again.

As you can see they are no good numbers for WIFI+S. On the other hand, things into real life are never like into the laboratory. This afternoon flight I suffered an actual disconnection incident while testing WIFI+S Extender and it only took 19 seconds to reconect. You can see here a photo-compositon showing four frames from video recording. Lost of signal starts 6:45 and signal recovered at 7:04. By the way, I didn´t have to do anything to force reconnection.

View attachment 3295

@CamFlyer , I'm glad you are getting better results from Xiaomi Repeater than WIFI+S Extender. It's not my case, but maybe it depends our flying area or other unknown factors. In any case, I plan to keep flying and testing both gadgest.

Raul.
Somehow I missed this post.
Interesting result. This is where my Xiaomi "Nano Youth" extender has problems. It doesn't seem to reconnect at all... It has not problem with reconnecting to Parrot Bebop, but it doesn't like the Tello wifi.

see this post which has 3 vids. The tester claimed that the two 5.8Ghz repeaters did not make range better.

UPDATE: My bad the test drone had FPV on 5.8Ghz but control on 2.4Ghz. Turned out the dual band repeaters he tested only support on frequency at a time. So it looks they don't quite support 2.4Ghz communication with tello then 5.8Ghz with the phone at the same time. The 5.8Ghz repeaters did not improve FPV range of his drone. I can only say, don't buy these comfast ones haha.

Last edited:
Reactions: campert

View attachment 3295

Raul.
Got my hands on one. takes about 20s for both control and vid feed to come back when I plug the wifi+ extender back in. Reasonably fast. Xiaomi tends to give control back first then video a few seconds later. Another difference I noticed was that wifi+ thinks it is extending by giving fast blue flash 10s after power on then at the 1 min mark it turns fast flashing red indicating not extending network (there was no source wifi to begin with). Xiaomi does it differenly by giving yellow flash indicating it is not extending and when it does extend wifi it turns to constant blue. If you do this while tello flies, xiaomi turns blue then after some time your control comes back then video. I will do an outdoor flight soon. Wifi+ extender seems decent.

UPDATE: Went out for a quick flight. Not a range test because my field is small and enclosed by residential villages. I was able to get full signal when 150m out and the whole flight had no frame skip. Xiaomi had flickering 2-3 bars at that range, and turning at return point caused a massive frame skip. I can already see Wifi+ is way better than xiaomi. Go get it guys!4121294E-23E8-4412-8001-5799A3EEA5C1.jpeg

Last edited:
What version of the Wifi+ did you purchase? the 2.4ghz only or the 2.4 + 5ghz? I'm guessing for range the 2.4 only would suffice?

Reactions: Donatello

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv