Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

WIFI+S Range Extender vs Xiami WIFI Repeater and Tello Channel choice

What version of the Wifi+ did you purchase? the 2.4ghz only or the 2.4 + 5ghz? I'm guessing for range the 2.4 only would suffice?
as far as I know there is only 2.4Ghz version for this repeater. 2.4Ghz will always trump 5.8Ghz in terms of range due to the Physics. All the dual band repeaters I see are either in 2.4 or 5.8, they cannot work on both. Tello only supports 2.4 anyway so you cannot get a 5.8Ghz repeater and fly tello with it.

Reactions: Mikusan
I've ordered this extender based on your tests Raul. I'm not particularly happy with my current combination of a MotoG5+ phone, Gamesir T1d, Xiaomi Wifi Repeater 2. It gives my pretty crappy video although range is okay.
I know the Motorola phones don't handle Tello very well (way better with TelloFPV compared to stock app) and hopefully this new extender will improve both video and range. I live in an urban area so there is a lot of interference.

How big of an influence would you guys think that the Gamesir T1d is. As I understand it uses Bluetooth LTE but it is still a signal so there is some influence on the connection I would guess.

I've ordered this extender based on your tests Raul. I'm not particularly happy with my current combination of a MotoG5+ phone, Gamesir T1d, Xiaomi Wifi Repeater 2. It gives my pretty crappy video although range is okay.
I know the Motorola phones don't handle Tello very well (way better with TelloFPV compared to stock app) and hopefully this new extender will improve both video and range. I live in an urban area so there is a lot of interference.

How big of an influence would you guys think that the Gamesir T1d is. As I understand it uses Bluetooth LTE but it is still a signal so there is some influence on the connection I would guess.

Bluetooth controller can be a heavy source of interference. I recommend you changing it for a USB otg wired controller.

Reactions: Seaking6

T1d cannot be wired. But ur on andoid so u better use a wire controller such as t1s. On iphone t1d is no noticeably bad.

Just switch off BT and try without the T1D. You will see the impact of the T1d is severe. The wifi extender OTOH won't have much influence on video quality compared to the Xiaomi.

The only reason I switched to the Wifi+s is that my Xiaomi keeps loosing its memory and constant re-configuration is a pain.

I did that indoors for a couple of times but couldn't notice any big differences. Then again; indoors is probably not a good test considering all the interference there is already.
A T1s is another 40 euro's or something so for me it would be a tradeoff that I'd have to make.

Concerning the Xiaomi, another reason for me is the same reason you used; the whole Xiaomi app part is sketchy so to say ;)

That is a good tip Raul. Unfortunately that one won't ship to the Netherlands.

What's the difference between a T1 and a T1s anyway?

That is a good tip Raul. Unfortunately that one won't ship to the Netherlands.

What's the difference between a T1 and a T1s anyway?
got any old gamepad like PS3 PS4 xbox controllers? TelloFPV supports so many gamepads, you might not have to buy a new one after all. You can get otg cable and phone holder and make it work!

I do have old gamepads but we have a different definition of "old". Mine are from a N64 and SNES ;) I guess those won't do the trick.

For your information, I followed @Guorium advice and checked firmware version from my WIFI+S Extender (Firmware version: v1.0.9 20161207). It seems not have been updated since year 2016.

wifi+s firmware.jpg

Reactions: Guorium
FB group reminded me of something I had forgotten about:

It could be (i have no proof) that Tello adjusts its wifi channels and possibly throttles wifi power according to regional settings to keep the legal limits.
I know that Parrot does exactly this with their Bebop.

I never looked closely how Tello handles this, but I have seen references to regional codes somewhere.

To check that we'd need someone with a test rig to see if there is in fact a difference in transmission power. Just doing some field tests doesn't really cut and is not worth the effort.

Is there someone on the forum with the equipment and know-how willing to check if there is indeed a difference?

Reactions: Guorium

It could be (i have no proof) that Tello adjusts its wifi channels and possibly throttles wifi power according to regional settings to keep the legal limits.

I never looked closely how Tello handles this, but I have seen references to regional codes somewhere.

To check that we'd need someone with a test rig to see if there is in fact a difference in transmission power. Just doing some field tests doesn't really cut and is not worth the effort.

Is there someone on the forum with the equipment and know-how willing to check if there is indeed a difference?

In my opinion, that's a very interesting thought. One goal could be unlocking Tello's WIFI channel 14, only available at Japan and therefore free of interference in the rest of the world: The mystery of WiFi channel 14 - The Kernel

Unfortunatelly I have lack of that specialized measuring RF equipment for helping you into that area.

Raul.

I am no expert in RF regulation but I have seen online where people state DJI seems to only offer FCC or CE mode. So effectively we could have a "if you are not FCC you are CE" situation which is rather crude assumption for non EU and US users. Also this breaks down @raulvolador 's idea to utilize the 14th channel since there might be no Japan mode. I saw stock tello app mentioning legal transmission power in location setting so I thought you might be the right person to ask since you have reverse engineered a flight control app from stock app.

What baffled me was what the stock app would do if you turn off location permission or have no gps chip (say you are on a wifi only model ipad). Would it just assume CE since it is safer for regulation's sake?

From my observation in Australia, wifi APs around me could use channel 13. So tello here very much likely would be using CE standard. I think using a phone with wifi analyzer app is sufficient to find out which scheme tello is in by probing its signal strength, but without an easy method (without a plane ticket) to switch modes we cannot conduct the test can we? So my goal here really is to find out how we can switch mode?

Possibly disabling location service? If the app assumes CE then turning location service off in Australia would still give me CE mode which gives no change. If the app assumes FCC then turning location service off will give me stronger signal. I will do a test on my bench top this way I can at least find out which mode tello app assumes when gps is not available.

My guess is that Tello is initialized to a region upon first start.

They don't need (and don't use) GPS for this, all devices has alternative location providers (Wifi networks, cell towers, ...) that provide adequate accuracy for a region selection.

However I just queried my Tello and it says I'm in the US...

My guess is that Tello is initialized to a region upon first start.

They don't need (and don't use) GPS for this, all devices has alternative location providers (Wifi networks, cell towers, ...) that provide adequate accuracy for a region selection.

However I just queried my Tello and it says I'm in the US...
Haha how did u querie yours exactly? Supposedly tello app cannot use location as long as you toggle location off the app should not read location regardless whether wifi or cellular provides location data. I will read more on this.

I enbaled location and scanned my tello wifi strenth about 10cm from my laptop. 38 39 40 41 dbm on four consecutive measurements. Then I reset tello, reintalled tello app and kept cellular and location service off, tested wifi strenth again 10cm away. 29 30 31 32 dbm. I think im onto something.

UPDATE: I did some more tests. Including resetting tello first for measurement then install the app with location service permited and connect to tello for second measurement. I couldn’t get consistent higher power from tello. The fluctuation is too big ranging from 28dbm to 42dbm. According to the manual ce and fcc mode only has 1dbm of difference. My precision is just not enough to detect this difference. I think I will try a field test next and see how far I can get with location service permission on and off.

Last edited:
...The fluctuation is too big ranging from 28dbm to 42dbm. According to the manual ce and fcc mode only has 1dbm of difference. My precision is just not enough to detect this difference. I think I will try a field test next and see how far I can get with location service permission on and off.
@Guorium,

Your Tello location test are very interesting. Please, can you tell me what manual are you talking about ?

Raul.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv