Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

3D scan using tello photos

Is that a somewhat automatic procedure or manual work? Do you just feed a few dozens photo into this program and I makes a 3d model? Do these photos have to be from specific angles / positions?

Looks really interesting thats why I'm asking. Maybe I can add some function to automate taking these photos.

Reactions: stewe12
Is that a somewhat automatic procedure or manual work? Do you just feed a few dozens photo into this program and I makes a 3d model? Do these photos have to be from specific angles / positions?

Looks really interesting thats why I'm asking. Maybe I can add some function to automate taking these photos.
The method is called photogrammetry. It automatically align these photos and tries to make 3D model from that. Some SW requires specific align mark, some are fully automatic and independent on the source photos.

RealityCapture looks like one of the best on the market and should be able to do everything automatically.

I used different SW in the past and best method, which worked for me was to take photos in different altitude in +- the same distance from each other.

So if you are thinking about implementing such feature, I would welcome function of taking photos in current altitude with specified distance between photos and distance to POI. Then I would manually fly lower/higher and used the function again.

@ilidene Will probably tell you more, as he is clearly more skilled.

Reactions: Apsu and ChetR
I know a couple of real estate agents use TelloFpv to capture their properties. It is the least obtrusive way to capture some acceptable footage, as not every house owner wants to annoy his neighbors with a noisy drone in residential areas.

So a few POI Circles at different altitude with photos at equal distance should do the trick? That was on the list anyway...

image_2019-02-04_00-23-10.png

I used your application for this ) I am not sure you can add any modes that would be helpful, tello has a small res camera and you have to get pretty close to some things and at over 6-7m height its not super stable. So it's all manual line of sight work. Also 95% of the time you will have trees very close to your object + wires going from a building, any autopilot without collision sensors is probably a bad idea.

The most valuable thing would be raw photos or some sort of sharpening/improvement of the photo quality on the tello side.

I used you application for this ) I am not sure you can add any modes that would be helpful, tello has a small res camera and you have to get pretty close to some things and at over 6-7m height its not super stable. So it's all manual line of sight work. Also 95% of the time you will have trees very close to your object + wires going from a building, any autopilot without collision sensors is probably a bad idea.

The most valuable thing would be raw photos or some sort of sharpening/improvement of the photo quality on the tello side.

The circle feature wouldn't work for houses as in your case (at least without user input), but for digitaliziation of statues and fountains it would help big time!

Reactions: volate!lo
The circle feature wouldn't work for houses as in your case (at least without user input), but for digitaliziation of statues and fountains it would help big time!
You are correct, I only view houses as i'm an architect and that my use case. And i came up with an idea of a very usefull feature actually. Chain photo mode, there is a download time and its' non constant, and you need to take whole lot of pictures, if i could just press a button and tello would take picture after picture as fast as it can upload them to your phone it would be very usefull. Video quality is much worse than photo so thats not an option.

View attachment 3042

I used your application for this ) I am not sure you can add any modes that would be helpful, tello has a small res camera and you have to get pretty close to some things and at over 6-7m height its not super stable. So it's all manual line of sight work. Also 95% of the time you will have trees very close to your object + wires going from a building, any autopilot without collision sensors is probably a bad idea.

You may be right, an automated mode may not be that useful for buildings.

As for series photo mode: I already tried that. I works no problem, but it will cause a massive (!) stutter in the video feed. Hard to find your way using FPV so its useless for many, but for your use case it seems to make sense.
I will think how to integrate this.

You may be right, an automated mode may not be that useful for buildings.

As for series photo mode: I already tried that. I works no problem, but it will cause a massive (!) stutter in the video feed. Hard to find your way using FPV so its useless for many, but for your use case it seems to make sense.
I will think how to integrate this.
For this usage i can't even rely on fpv only los, it would be amazing if you added this in some way.

Reactions: volate!lo
The prices are very big for this product.
A stupid question: there is a free (or much more affordable) solution to create something like this?
I'm unemployed at the moment and I'd like to play a little with Tello and Spark.
Thanks.
Check out the steam subscription version of reality capture. They also have regional prices and are subject to steam sales, I got a 3 month subscription for 15$ but i'f from a country with an average salary of 250-300$ so there is a big correction in price for my region.

Check out the steam subscription version of reality capture. They also have regional prices and are subject to steam sales, I got a 3 month subscription for 15$ but i'f from a country with an average salary of 250-300$ so there is a big correction in price for my region.
Thanks! I'll give a look, then.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv