Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Android application to control Tello drone

gvigelet

Reaction score
Sharing my android application to control the Tello Drone. By no means this is a finished product or application, but the major pieces of the puzzle are implemented and working pretty good. This app requires a bluetooth controller bound to the phone to control the drone, I was using a Nvidia Shield controller so the buttons are hard coded. I haven't touched the code in a while except for updating gradle and to AndroidX libraries. The software was originally written for the Nexus 6 on Android 7 due to the large screen. Android 10 does not work, which needs to be looked into. I haven't had time to look at it or finish the project so I figured I would open it up to whoever wanted to take a look at it.

Features:

low latency video from the drone using gstreamer
BT game controller to fly the drone

Running the application
  1. Connect the phone to the Tello drone via wifi (required)
  2. bind a BT game controller to your phone via bluetooth (optional, you can still run the video capture from the drone without the BT controller attached)
  3. launch the application, click the button at the top to start/stop the video stream

TODO (what I planned to implement):
  1. Add on screen controller
  2. create a polished UI
  3. add more error handling and make the app more robust
  4. add opencv for video analytics such as object detection
GITHUB REPO:

- George

Hi George , I have used your application. Works pretty fine with my redgear game-pad. Thanks so much.

Reactions: gvigelet

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv